RIAA looking for virus writers

Peachy

The Recording Industry Association of America, apparently in its quest to eradicate file sharing amongst the music-loving public, is looking to hire virus writers to reach their goals.

And to think if you or I were to unleash viruses on the NET we would go to prison. Glad to see the U.S. government is giving big business the right to break whatever laws they want. Proud to be an American.....

Ahhhh yes, things like this is what really burns me up. This stuff only builds the hatered up and drives people to finding ways around it. They will never be able to completely stop it. I just hate it when large organizations think they should be above the law.

nlinecomputers

I basicly think that most music sharing is organized thievery so I have little sympathy for file swappers who claim that they are only "sampling" music but this doesn't give the RIAA the right to violate the law with the online version of mob rule. If I find a RIAA virus finds it's way onto one of my drives I'll sue the *******s!

I basicly think that most music sharing is organized thievery so I have little sympathy for file swappers who claim that they are only "sampling" music but this doesn't give the RIAA the right to violate the law with the online version of mob rule.  If I find a RIAA virus finds it's way onto one of my drives I'll sue the *******s!
I totally agree, nlc!!!

SonicDragon
I basicly think that most music sharing is organized thievery so I have little sympathy for file swappers who claim that they are only "sampling" music but this doesn't give the RIAA the right to violate the law with the online version of mob rule.  If I find a RIAA virus finds it's way onto one of my drives I'll sue the *******s!
You go nlinecomputers!!!!

Guest LilBambi
(nlinecomputers @ May 12 2003, 02:08 PM) I basicly think that most music sharing is organized thievery so I have little sympathy for file swappers who claim that they are only "sampling" music but this doesn't give the RIAA the right to violate the law with the online version of mob rule. If I find a RIAA virus finds it's way onto one of my drives I'll sue the *******s!
You tell'em nlinecomputers!I can't believe they think they have the right to do this at all even if it were legal! What kind of responsible person or company would jeopardize people's computers like that. Do they really think they will ever win??!And do they really think that once unleashed that they can keep it from spreading from P2P filesharing computers to other folk's computers that aren't even using filesharing? The way these types of infections tend to get mutilated by script kiddies, I really wouldn't bet on it.They should have accepted the filesharing as a free form of advertising and left it go at that back in Napster's day. In my opinion, they are a bunch of fools! They have wasted more of the musician's money on this vendetta than they could have ever lost by filesharing AND in the process, they have turned more music loving folks off to anything they have to offer than they can even imagine!I don't use filesharing software, but I can tell you this .... I bought my last music CD the year Napster was killed off by them. And I will continue to boycot them and their idiotic vendetta as long as they continue.I will not contribute one thin dime in purchases so they can spend it on this vendetta.:soapbox rant mode OFF

The major labels..."Ripping off artists and fans since 1935 (or thereabouts)". What a proud history they have. Now this. You do have to admit that the labels at least show great flexibility...from "above the law" to "beneath contempt" at the same time. :D

Guest LilBambi

Jeber --You are so right! Very, very sad!

You do have to admit that the labels at least show great flexibility...from "above the law" to "beneath contempt" at the same time.
Couldn't have said it better myself ... would you mind if I stole that line? B)

Guest LilBambi

Oh, and the RIAA saga gets worse! B) The RIAA is all apologetic, it was all an accident, they sent the take down letter in error. So sorry. :D You can read it all here in C|Net's article:http://news.com.com/2100-1025-1001095.html

RIAA apologizes for threatening letterThe Recording Industry Association of America apologized Monday to Penn State University for sending an incorrect legal notice of alleged Internet copyright violations.Last Thursday, the RIAA sent a stiff copyright warning to Penn State's department of astronomy and astrophysics. Department officials at first were puzzled, because the notification invoked the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and alleged that one of its FTP sites was unlawfully distributing songs by the musician Usher. The letter demanded that the department "remove the site" and delete the infringing sound files. But no such files existed on the server, which is used by faculty and graduate students to publish research and grant proposals. Matt Soccio, the department's system administrator, said that he searched the FTP server "for files ending in mp3, wma, ogg, wav, mov, mpg, etc., and found nothing that would precipitate this complaint."
And this is just the beginning of this article ... you've got to read the whole thing and the process they are using to determine if someone is running a server and how wrong this process can be! I couldn't believe it!This was apparently the 'server':http://www.astrocappella.com/swift.shtml ... yeah, that little tiny mp3 link at the top in combination with the Professor's name: Peter Usher. :D The RIAA's response? According to the C|Net article:
In an e-mail sent after a query from CNET News.com, the RIAA said a temporary employee had caused the notice to be sent. "We have withdrawn, and apologize for, the DMCA notice that had been sent to Penn State University in error. In order to safeguard against errors like this one, we have individuals look at each and every notice we send out. In this particular instance, a temp employee made a mistake and did not follow RIAA's established protocol, and we regret any inconvenience this may have caused. We are currently reviewing any other notices this temp may have sent." The RIAA confirmed that its policy does not require its Internet copyright enforcers to listen to the complete song that is allegedly infringing. By way of additional apology, the RIAA said it will send Peter Usher an Usher CD and T-shirt "in appreciation of his understanding." An RIAA spokesman noted that the RIAA has sent out "conservatively tens of thousands of notices" in the last five years and that this incident to be the first error that has been discovered.
There are several other articles linked off this page as well ... including the 4 students who were recently charged and settled at the tune of $12,000-$17,000 each.

one should remember that it's legal to record music from the radio (for personal use)the last cent i spent on music was a few years ago, a manheim steamroller christmas cd.(i have a couple of hundred music cd's, mainly "classics")musicians should be appropriately compensated for their work.(but like pro athletes and pro sports in general, it seems way way overpriced for what you get.  $100 / person for concert / football + parking + eats? hah.  not in my lifetime. likewise $14 / cd? i think it costs pennies to stamp one.)
It might take pennies to stamp one, but it takes electricity, manpower, shipping, advertising, etc. to get it on the shelves. I don't believe musicians get much more than pennies for every CD sold. I won't argue the price of concerts because I tend to only do classical, things like that (in my old age). We tend to forget the big picture of what all it takes to get something from idea to reality. I think the new purchasing by the song on the Internet will eventually reduce a lot of those costs but it still takes money to run an on-line store. B) Sorry, I guess I taught too many intro to business classes years ago. You just can't take the teacher out of a teacher. :P Maybe Jeber can fill us in. :P

Guest LilBambi

How many other innocents have the RIAA caused unneeded/unwanted bad publicity and potential harm.Oh, and to make up for this, the RIAA simply apologized and gave the professor a Usher T-shirt and CD?!?Also, according to this C|Net article:

Soccio, the department's network and information systems manager, said he had been worried that the server would be yanked from the network during the middle of Penn State's final exams last week. "If our site was shut down as this was being investigated, I wouldn't even be able to have a conversation with you because (there would) be so many people in my office wanting to know when it would be back up," he said. The RIAA's notice went to the university's central computing office, which told the department to delete the material or "we will need to disable access to the machine hosting the infringing song." The central office then notified the department. Soccio said: "The swiftness of the activity the university wanted to take just around finals time scared the living daylights out of me. I'm just glad the university took my word for it that we weren't violating copyright law." Now, Soccio said, he's writing a letter to his members of Congress opposing the DMCA and will post it in the department for signatures. "I'm loath to think that our educational resources and years of valuable resources can be jeopardized just because some kid in a dorm room is downloading copyrighted material," he said. "That's not a price that society should have to pay."

Guest ThunderRiver

Tell me about it.. RIAA is taking down lyric sites, and that really pisses me off because what does lyric have to do with them losing money?They are very very wicked.. I wish US will send nuke to their main office.

Just have Bush send the troops in - that should get them to quiet down.The RIAA gonna shut down all raidos and internet radio too? It's not hard to record internet radio either.

Guest LilBambi
Tell me about it.. RIAA is taking down lyric sites, and that really pisses me off because what does lyric have to do with them losing money?They are very very wicked.. I wish US will send nuke to their main office.
Thunder? They are truly causing Lyrics sites to go down too?If so, this has whole thing is turning out to be even sadder yet! :lol:

Thunder? They are truly causing Lyrics sites to go down too?If so, this has whole thing is turning out to be even sadder yet! :)
Yep, Thunder is serious. They are getting ridiculous. Have you not heard that they also wanted to charge the girl scouts of america for just SINGING songs that they owned the copyrights on? Why do you think that when you are in a restaurant and it is someones birthday that they do not sing the traditional happy birthday song??? Because the RIAA wanted to charge businesses for that as well. So they sing odd variations.We live in a very sad world when this kind of nonsense is allowed to go on. Sometimes I am just plain ashamed to be an American.

Okay, I was born in the Show-Me state. I know a lot of tales get stretched as they are retold. Thunder, do you have a source? I would love to read where you got your info. Somehow in this day of internet I have reached the point where I like to read things for myself. Particularly about the scouts and the singing.I know I have had my head turned to other things lately, but I guess I should become informed on this. I understand about the file sharing, but these other things scare me!

Teacher- I stand corrected, it was not the RIAA that was involved in what I said, yet the facts are sad none the less:The 1998 amendments to the 1976 Copyright Act under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act also grant to the copyright owner the right to perform sound recordings through the means of digital audio transmission. These rights, largely enforced through BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.) and ASCAP (The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers), allow the copyright owner to prevent, for example, a musical band from playing a song without obtaining permission and paying royalties.An infamous case in 1996 involved BMI/ASCAP trying to enforce the copyrights held in musical songs against performances by the Girl Scouts. BMI and ASCAP backed off after negative publicity, and Congress responded with exemptions for the Girl Scouts and the Boy Scouts.Does this mean that everyone who warbles "Happy Birthday to You" to family members at birthday parties is engaging in copyright infringement if they fail to obtain permission from or pay royalties to the song's publisher? No. Royalties are due, of course, for commercial uses of the song, such as playing or singing it for profit, using it in movies, television programs, and stage shows, or incorporating it into musical products such as watches and greeting cards; as well, royalties are due for public performance, defined by copyright law as performances which occur "at a place open to the public, or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered." So, crooning "Happy Birthday to You" to family members and friends at home is fine, but performing a copyrighted work in a public setting such as a restaurant or a sports arena technically requires a license from ASCAP or the Harry Fox Agency (although such infringements are rarely prosecuted).

Stryder - I see what you're saying, although my boss was wondering why then can any band perform any other song in concert without getting permission/paying royalties? According to him, they can do this, but only if the song is not recorded... Once they record the song, then they have to have permission to release it... Wouldn't this be a conflict to what you're saying about Happy B-day? I don't honestly know, and I'm not trying to discount your info, I was just curious if you knew about this...

In Canada under our copyright laws it is technically illegal to play songs emanating from a radio in a public venue, just as it is technically illegal rent a video and play it publicly in a school lecture theatre. But that doesn't stop people from doing it.

jbredmound
[]Thunder? They are truly causing Lyrics sites to go down too?If so, this has whole thing is turning out to be even sadder yet!  :(
They just filed a suit related to this. They say that the lyrics are part of the copyright, and are asking for a cease and desist order.Doggonit, I think my shirt is starting to rip.

SonicDragon

Why is is so surpirsing that they are going after lyrics sites? Anything you wright falls under copyright law right? But i think your right, i don't think lyric sites are loosing them any substantial amount of money. Don't most bands have the lyrics hosted on their own site?Stryder, r u sure any band can play another song in concert without having to pay royalties? That doesn't make sence to me.BTW, I have heard that the creater of the Happy Birthday is rather strict about this stuff and that it is relatively hard to get the music for it. :lol: But, that's just what i've heard.

Guest ThunderRiver

Lyric sites are meant to promote song selling. It is words, not background music and singer's voice per se. It does't cost RIAA any money for pepole to keep a copy of lyric in their machine heh