Rechargeable batteries

deedee

Is it ok to use a 3000mah battery in place of a 350mah rechargeable battery, for a solar outdoor light?
So long as the voltage is correct, then it's OK. The mah indicates the storage capacity of a battery. IOW, how long its charge will last.

Thanks for that explanation lewmur. We just replaced a battery in a cordless phone. The old one was 3.6V and 600mAh. The replacement is 3.6V and 1500mAh and the clerk told us it would not matter. All I know is that the mAh could be the same or higher and cause no damage but I wasn't sure what effect it would have on the phone.

Thanks for that explanation lewmur. We just replaced a battery in a cordless phone. The old one was 3.6V and 600mAh. The replacement is 3.6V and 1500mAh and the clerk told us it would not matter. All I know is that the mAh could be the same or higher and cause no damage but I wasn't sure what effect it would have on the phone.
None. The 1500 mAh denotes the charge capacity of your replacement battery. It doesn't have any negative affect on the phone other than that the battery would last longer in between charges. Edited by Tushman

Correct me if I am wrong but,I would assume that it would take much longer to completely charge,in order to give a longer operation period..My guess that it would depend on the output of the solar cells and or average sunlight..It may not be that big of an advantage..Still OK to use though..As to the phone senerio..It would depend on if the phone charger used some sort of a voltage sensor to turn off the charger circuit.. I would think that senerio would take longer to fully charge..Although If the phone used some sort of timer to shut off charging, them my guess there would be no advantage..Just a thought,jolphil :hysterical:

Edited by jolphil

Correct me if I am wrong but,I would assume that it would take much longer to completely charge,in order to give a longer operation period..My guess that it would depend on the output of the solar cells and or average sunlight..It may not be that big of an advantage..Still OK to use though..As to the phone senerio..It would depend on if the phone charger used some sort of a voltage sensor to turn off the charger circuit.. I would think that senerio would take longer to fully charge..Although If the phone used some sort of timer to shut off charging, them my guess there would be no advantage..Just a thought,jolphil :whistling:
It certainly can't hurt and I can see circumstances in which it would help a lot. If you start off with a fully charged battery, all the solar charger would need to do would be to replace what was used by the lights. So suppose you have several wintry days where the solar cells can't keep up with the use. In this case, the extra capacity could keep the lights working until the sun came out again! :hysterical: As to the cell phone, if the new battery came with its own charger, the new charger would have the extra capacity to handle the new battery.

It is a cordless phone in our home, not a cell phone. The directions said not to use the phone for 16 hours until the battery was charged. We followed that and simply used other phones in the house.I though replacing the battery would mean the speed dial numbers would need to be reprogrammed but all is still okay there.

Correct me if I am wrong but,I would assume that it would take much longer to completely charge,in order to give a longer operation period..My guess that it would depend on the output of the solar cells and or average sunlight..
Yes it would take slightly longer to fully charge, but the total time would depend upon the efficiency of the charging unit itself.

Yes it would take slightly longer to fully charge, but the total time would depend upon the efficiency of the charging unit itself.
Yes, I agree it does depend on the output of the charging circuit and in this case it is a solar cell charger..That means that it also depends on theoutput of the solar cell itself as well as the weather conditions..Actually i have a solar light(well not a light but a lighted squirrel..Family joke)..It uses hydride AA batteries and after long periods of cloudy days I have to remove the two batteries and give them a full charge otherwise the lighted squirrel will not last the night..If we have bright sunny days, the squirrel works just fine all night..Please: no squirrel jokes.. :thumbsup: Jolphil

To answer your question about the solar light. Stick with something near the original capacity battery. I've tried it with 600MAh and 2500 MAh NiMH batteries and I think the 600's last longer.