• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:25 AM

I don't know if you have ever seen a Model T assembly team do their thing. I saw one at a baseball game in Toronto a few years ago.
A bunch of people come out with a bunch of parts and in less than 10 minutes they drive away a Model T Ford. Quite amazing to watch them work.
An Arch install is kinda like that. With a regular distro install you do a few mouse clicks, type a bit - and drive the car away. With Arch you put the parts together - some you choose and some are chosen for you but it's an assembly process at heart.
It's worth the effort though. One thing I learned was how the graphics elements fit together.
I think I now have a good basic appreciation of the differences between an X server, a display manager, a window manager and a full fledged desktop environment. I would never have gotten as good a feel for the whole topic without installing Arch from the ground up.
So if you haven't done an Arch install I'd really recommend you give it a try.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,630 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:00 AM

Very nice B)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

Way to go mate, respect. You have given me the impetus I needed to get Arch back up and running. :worthy: :worthy:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

Raymac56 you probably could do with some of these then,

http://www.unixstick...r-windows-flag