• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

I must have forgotten they had a page as it was pretty skimpy back when I first installed WM.I was sure that WM was just a mention in the WM/DM page.Still nice to see some interest in the old thing.

https://wiki.archlin...ur&oldid=116354

Above shows the difference since 2010. :breakfast:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#52 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,043 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

:thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#53 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 15 July 2014 - 08:48 AM, said:

I did come across a neat trick. Press "Alt" either the right or left one and keeping it pressed press "Tab" and release and you get a pop up window showing what windows you have open.Tap "Tab", still keeping 'Alt" pressed and you scroll through the window icons,you get text about each icon as you scroll,stop on an icon ,release "Alt" and the window will be raised. Handy for keyboard folk or folk who like to mix kb and mouse as it is a shade quicker than using the middle click route.

Thanks!

Here's one that I find useful sometimes:

From version 0.80.0, you can shade/unshade a window using a mouse wheel on its titlebar. This of course, assumes your system is able to manage a mouse wheel. The WMGLOBAL file in you $HOME/GNUstep/Defaults should contain two new directives : MouseWheelUp and MouseWheelDown.

(from: http://windowmaker.o...edtour/win.html)

Window Maker's been very pleasant to use; since adding it some time ago and getting it set up, I haven't really changed anything besides the wallpaper. In Bridge Linux, I alternate between logging into Xfce and Window Maker sessions. I have only Xfce in my Arch installation, though.

#54 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

Nice to know you are enjoying the WM experience. I think it is cool. Creating your own themes is good fun and not too difficult. When I have the procedure polished I will post a how to. The best part of WM is that it hardly changes and once you have set it up to suit you know that it will stay that way.Unlike othere WM/DE's that seem to change faster than I can blink.Where folks get the energy to keep up with the changes is a mystery to me.

Good tip. Funny description "shade/unshade" though I am struggling to think of a replacement,"collapse/uncollapse", "shrink/unshrink" perhaps.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#55 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

are you in USA barbarian?  In USA we pull down the window shade to block light/view, or roll up the window shade to see what's going on.  Hence, shade/unshade.  Makes sense to me.  Then again, I'm often told I "think weird", so what the heck do I know?  :th_run-around-smiley:

#56 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

Nope I'm a true blue Brit. Your theory sounds like it will hold water. Ta. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#57 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 17 July 2014 - 11:45 AM, said:

Nope I'm a true blue Brit. Your theory sounds like it will hold water. Ta. :breakfast:

True "blue" Brit?  In US, we were taught the British wear red.  Easier to spot, as they really stand out in a crowd, a field, or the woods.  It's in all our history books and part of our indoctrination.  Sorry, couldn't resist...  :P   Cheerio!

#58 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

Translated from the old Spanish phrase "sangre azul", blue blood derives from the Medieval belief in Europe (among other places) that the blood of the royalty and nobility was blue; since the royal family and aristocrats were wealthy and powerful enough to pay commoners to labor in the fields for them, their skin was translucent and pale enough for their blue veins to stand out.

It also refers to old money families: families that have been aristocrats for many generations.
The blue blood disdainfully looked upon the unrefined manners of the nouveau riche (aka "new money").

The blue blood of the elite could not be tainted by the blood of commoners, lest the whole line be polluted (disregarding the risks of inbreeding).

I was lying as the last time I got carved up there was claret all over the place not a sign of any blue. :tease:
Install ARCH

#59 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

Well, at least you aren't Blue Beard.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#60 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,043 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

View PostLilBambi, on 17 July 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

Well, at least you aren't Blue Beard.
That was a pretty cool, interesting read. Thanks Fran :thumbsup:

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#61 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

True enough, as I am single and all my girlfriends have disappeared.

I read the Vonnegut novel when I was younger and several other Blue Beard inspired tales.

https://en.wikipedia...Vonnegut_novel)  :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#62 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

The British & red coat comment makes me think of an old Bill Cosby sketch where he speculates what would happen if every battle/war started with a coin toss, like sports, with the winner determining the rules of engagement.  It goes something like this:

Captain Washington of the Settlers, this is Captain Gage of the British; Captain Gage of the British, this is Captain Washington of the Settlers.  Call the toss Captain Gage...  Captain Gage calls heads...(pause)...it's tails.  You lose the toss.  What are you gonna do, Captain Washington?  (LONG pause)  Captain Washington says his team will wear whatever colors they want, shoot from behind rocks, trees, and everywhere!  He also says you're team must wear red, and march in a straight line!

Funny stuff, at least in America.

#63 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

We had some Bill Cosby LPs when I was growing up. I remember that routine, but I don't remember which album it was on. That's from a long way back!

#64 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

Maybe the same album as this?

Bill Cosby - Toss Of The Coin

Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#65 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

LOL! Yep!

#66 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

WindowMaker on PCLinuxOS - WindowMaker Internals Part 1 (Dated ?)

Here is a neat article on some of the more mysterious inner workings of WM. I could not see a date but as WM moves along at a sedate pace I guess a lot of the information is still relevant.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#67 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

View PostLilBambi, on 18 July 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

Maybe the same album as this?

Bill Cosby - Toss Of The Coin

OMG!  That's it!  I used to listen that album on my dad's stereo, over & over.  Practically had it memorized as a young fella.  Great find!

#68 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

We actually have that album. :D
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#69 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Thread Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

I have over 300 vinyl albums in my collection, which have since been digitized into mp3 format and backed up to cd media.  My kids, all born in the 90s, took one look at the large black grooved disc i had pulled out of its jacket & sleeve, and innocently wondered "how did it fit in the cd player?"  True story!

#70 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Window maker has moved on quite a bit in the last eight months or so. It is easier to install in Arch and I have already had a quick looksee at some of the Dock apps, most of which worked. I should be back posting any tips I come across. If folks want to chip in with tips and guides that would be fab.

Here is a neat way to add a "shutdown" single click feature to your WM.

Posted Image

1 Right click on the Dock at top right.

2 Type in " systemctl poweroff" as shown in the screen shot.

3 Click OK.

4 Mouse over the Dock and middle click the mouse.

5 You should now have a black screen and a pc that is shutting down.

6 Done.

:clap:

If you can wait then step four can be delayed until you normally need to shut down the pc. :devil:
Install ARCH

#71 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,043 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:07 PM

That is one thing about WindowMaker, they are consistent. It basically looks the same as it did years ago or is that just your theme?

#72 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

Nope same old same old. That is just the basic Arch install though I have added a few icons to the dock. Pretty fuggly it is as I have not had chance to pretty it up yet.That is almost at the top of my list of things to do. :th_1sm330office-work:

By the way as I know you folks across the pond are keen on court cases you should really post Window Maker as WindowMaker is copyright protected. :devil:

Edited by abarbarian, 13 February 2015 - 01:17 PM.

Install ARCH

#73 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

There is a G+ site for Window Maker to be found here,

https://plus.google....612726859551678

Just in case I did not mention it before. :whistling:
Install ARCH

#74 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,043 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:57 AM

Nice :)

#75 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:12 AM

My Jim would have loved it for his lesser machines where he always used Window Maker.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: window manager, window maker, arch, docker, dock, linux

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)