abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 10 June 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Scrooge!

https://youtu.be/Dkq7WZTzkLQ

Edited by abarbarian, 10 June 2017 - 03:42 PM.

Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#103 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 20,917 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:32 PM

Albert Finney was good, but my favorite version of Dickens' A Christmas Story is the American version with George C. Scott as Scrooge. :)

#104 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 10 June 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

Albert Finney was good, but my favorite version of Dickens' A Christmas Story is the American version with George C. Scott as Scrooge. :)

Scott was a better Scrouge, not that Finney was bad. Personally I find that the original movie is always the best with the odd remake being on a parr and the very odd one being better. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#105 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 20,917 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

The main difference between the Finney version and the Scott version was that Finney's was more of a light-hearted musical. Scott's was darker and more serious... closer to the actual Dickens' story.

#106 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 11 June 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

The main difference between the Finney version and the Scott version was that Finney's was more of a light-hearted musical. Scott's was darker and more serious... closer to the actual Dickens' story.

Never seen the Scott version but if you want "darker and more serious" the 1951 version with Aliastair Sim is great,

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is a colourised version but the b+w is better in my opinion. The original 1913/35 version is well worth a looksee too.
An if you ever get to the uk then this would be a nice addition to the bucket list of places to visit,

Posted Image

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#107 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 20,917 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:46 AM

Yes, I've seen that B&W Sim version. It was good, too. :)

#108 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

Count me in as a fan of the 1951 version but not in color. It just doesn't look right to me.
And for sheer mayhem nothing can beat "Scrooged" from 1988 with Bill Murray.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#109 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:20 AM

Animated wallpaper project.

So I had a tad more fun with the old Window Maker. I wanted to see if I could have a Gif running as my wallpaper that would allow me to use the desktop as normal.
Here is my first try,

https://www.dropbox....sicle.mkv?dl=0

seems that folk thought the result was a tad unsettling. I can not see why. The result was not quite perfect so I had a think and came up with a slightly better solution. Here is the result,

https://www.dropbox....ytest.mkv?dl=0

A much better outcome and possibly a better (more relaxing) image. Still not perfected the technique as while the gif background survives me restarting Window Maker from its drop down menu option, it does not survive exiting and restarting. I am positive that I can accomplish this though with some experimentation  and fiddling of the Window Maker startup file. Also whilst I have managed to resize the gif I found it is not a perfect fit, this hurdle I think I could overcome. I may spend my time looking at creating my own full size gif, it would be nice to use one of my own pictures and I may be able to create one that uses a few less cpu cycles too. We'll have to see.

Enjoy

Ooooooooooooo ain't linux fun. :yes:
Install ARCH

#110 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

Animated desktop project.

Ok I have done some more testing and have almost got things sorted. Resizing gifs is difficult if you want to get the exact size and I have been using ImageMagick with some sucess.

Here is a third tryout. I chose the subject as it occurred to me that folk might have forgotten how to, :lol:

https://www.dropbox....etest.mkv?dl=0

In this last effort below I have nearly got the gif size correct but there is a thin line at the bottom of the screen. This is not a big deal as I can cover it with icons. If you follow the link, you will need a little patience as the full effect takes a second or two to reveal itself. Below is a screenshot, static of course :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Making the animated wallpaper have persistence to survive a reboot was fairly trivial and I now have a full screen (gif needs a tad more tweaking) animated wallpaper appearing when I switch on the pc. This gives me with a fully functional desktop which with the gif chosen uses about the same cpu as running FireFox with one tab open. I can close the xtrem running the wallpaper and I get a static screen from where the animation stops, this uses slightly less cpu. from there it is one click to refresh Window Maker and this drops me back to a normal themed desktop which uses even less cpu. So I can have the best of both worlds with just a click or two.

Here is the final offering in the test series. (warning:this can be unsettling for those of a nervous disposition) :hysterical:

https://www.dropbox....estest.mkv?dl=0

Enjoy.

P.S. I am hoping to make a vokoscreen tutorial for this project. I need to refine the gif resizing and find me microphone first though.

Long live Window Maker.

Edited by abarbarian, 17 June 2017 - 07:25 AM.

Install ARCH

#111 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

Very cool :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: window manager, window maker, arch, docker, dock, linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users