• Please log in to reply
2298 replies to this topic

#2276 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

The netbook is tiny, memory challenged, slow. There are a couple of good things about it:
  • Linux friendly and I didn't have to tear it apart to replace the HDD with a cheap SSD.
  • It has all the essential laptop stuff like wifi so I got experience installing Arch and getting wifi working.
Longer term I am on the lookout for an older business laptop - Dell, HP, Thinkpad - to use as a Linux tester. I would like to get a Core i5 1st generation or later that uses DDR3 memory and has at least SATA 2 capability for storage. Much as I like desktops a laptop is a lot easier to set up for a test.
Also I want something with easy access to upgrade to an SSD or add more memory. My current consumer grade Lenovo runs very well, has a nice keyboard and screen but it is a nightmare to work on. Even the battery is internal.
The local computer shop has some T510s that are in beautiful condition - just a bit more than I want to pay.

Edited by raymac46, 06 May 2017 - 07:34 AM.

Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#2277 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:30 AM

I bought this netbook last year which is pretty nice (I upgraded the ram to 8gb). It's not a powerhouse but it is sufficient for a travel machine:

Lenovo ThinkPad 11E 11.6 - Inch Ultraportable Business Notebook (Intel N2940 Quad-Core, 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM, 128 GB Solid State Drive, Windows 10)
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#2278 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

How is it to work on? Easy access for hard drive/memory upgrade?
Posted Image

#2279 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

It's like 6 screws and the whole back comes off.

One second and I will take the back off

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#2280 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Here you go:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2281 OFFLINE   Dr. J

Dr. J

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

Lenovo seem to be pretty good at giving you physical access to the hardware in there laptops... sadly some manufacturers tend to lock everything down.

Ps (sort of). I've taken back to plugging my laptop in to the TV when I'm at home again. Here's my current Plasma setup with a nice big resolution to play around with.

Posted Image

Posted Image
/usr/bin/drinking
~/hungover

#2282 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 09:07 AM

Looks nice Dr.J :thumbsup:

#2283 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

Posted Image

This is Debian GNOME Shell running on my Thinkpad T430. I added a few Shell Extensions to customize it. Looks a bit like Xfce now. :harhar:
Posted Image

#2284 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

Posted Image

I'm back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch and Window Maker,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,paradise ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :Laie_95:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#2285 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:56 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 03 June 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

Posted Image

I'm back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch and Window Maker,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,paradise ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :Laie_95:

So much wasted space.... Just kidding ya :hysterical:

Looks nice man

#2286 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 03 June 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

Looks nice man

Ta but it is only the stock install, I did change the background though. Wait till I get creative.

It has taken me about six hours and several failed attempts and I still have a slight problem with starting up the pc and getting into Arch. I'll have to sort that tommorow. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#2287 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:18 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 03 June 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

Looks nice man

Ta but it is only the stock install, I did change the background though. Wait till I get creative.

It has taken me about six hours and several failed attempts and I still have a slight problem with starting up the pc and getting into Arch. I'll have to sort that tommorow. :breakfast:

Eh you know that I am just messing with you. It looks nice man and honestly, I think that you are the only person I know of that still runs Window Maker. I am glad that they are still around after all this time! :thumbsup:

#2288 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 03 June 2017 - 09:18 PM, said:

View Postabarbarian, on 03 June 2017 - 09:13 PM, said:

Posted Image

Looks nice man

Eh you know that I am just messing with you. It looks nice man and honestly, I think that you are the only person I know of that still runs Window Maker. I am glad that they are still around after all this time! :thumbsup:

Come on there has to be at least two other folk running WM, I joined their G+ group :Muahaha:
Install ARCH

#2289 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:38 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 03 June 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

Come on there has to be at least two other folk running WM, I joined their G+ group :Muahaha:

Two? I thought there was at least 3 of you nutjobs running around?

#2290 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

Every time I see Window  Maker I think of this.  :hysterical:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2291 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

Here are some more screen shots. I seem to have a problem with size, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Starting to look like my destop again. Now where did  I put my tux icons :whistling:
Install ARCH

#2292 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

Slow progress is possibly not a bad thing.

Posted Image

Been busy tracking down dock-apps that work for me. I am continually suprised that any of the dock-apps work as some of them were made before time began.
Now if only I could get one of the sound dock-apps to work properly for me. Have had some sucess but the whole sound thing is a tad confusing for me. I still can not get a sound app to stay stable for me. Problem is marrying OSS, ALSA and PULSE to work together.
All I want is a dock-app to raise and lower sound.
Hardly rocket science, eh. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#2293 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

Found a dock app to change volume and a few others.

Posted Image

Linux is fun don't you think. :laugh:
Install ARCH

#2294 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 20,917 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

Linux fun? Yes. :)

#2295 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:23 AM

So I had a tad more fun with the old Window Maker. I wanted to see if I could have a Gif running as my wallpaper that would allow me to use the desktop as normal.
Here is my first try,

https://www.dropbox....sicle.mkv?dl=0

seems that folk thought the result was a tad unsettling. I can not see why. The result was not quite perfect so I had a think and came up with a slightly better solution. Here is the result,

https://www.dropbox....ytest.mkv?dl=0

A much better outcome and possibly a better (more relaxing) image. Still not perfected the technique as while the gif background survives me restarting Window Maker from its drop down menu option, it does not survive exiting and restarting. I am positive that I can accomplish this though with some experimentation  and fiddling of the Window Maker startup file. Also whilst I have managed to resize the gif I found it is not a perfect fit, this hurdle I think I could overcome. I may spend my time looking at creating my own full size gif, it would be nice to use one of my own pictures and I may be able to create one that uses a few less cpu cycles too. We'll have to see.

Enjoy

:breakfast:

Ooooooooooooo ain't linux fun. :yes:

Edited by abarbarian, 16 June 2017 - 04:24 AM.

Install ARCH

#2296 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 22,629 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:54 PM

Looks great Abarbarian :thumbsup:

#2297 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

Screen shot from the "Animated wallpaper project". More details at post 110 here http://forums.scotsn...100#entry451250

Posted Image

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#2298 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,173 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:27 AM