abarbarian

http://www.ghostery.com/

Ghostery is a browser tool available for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera and Internet Explorer. It scans the page for scripts, pixels, and other elements and notifies the user of the companies whose code is present on the page. These page elements aren't otherwise visible to the user, and often not detailed in the page source code. Ghostery allows users to learn more about these companies and their practices, and block the page elements from loading if the user chooses.

Neat add-on, Well worth a look. :breakfast:

Guest LilBambi

Yep, I used it for a long time, then I heard that it was owned by 'marketers' and didn't allow you to block. The former is true, but the latter is not. They do allow you to block! But I am not happy with it being owned by marketers/advertisers.

So, I have removed it in favor of DoNotTrack Plus by Abine.

abine.logo.png

Extension available for both Firefox and Chrome:

Ghostery users are anonymous. If you elect to download the Ghostery plug in, you'll note there are no registrations or sign ups required. The Ghostery plug-in does not place session cookies into your browser. Neither the Ghostery application nor Evidon receives any data from Ghostery users unless the user opts-in to participate in GhostRank. In that case, data is collected in aggregate form and without any personal information, for research and industry monitoring purposes (more on GhostRank below). GhostRank data is never used for advertising targeting purposes. GhostRank is a true opt-in feature - all the other features of Ghostery are fully available whether or not GhostRank is enabled.

:shifty:

Giving DoNotTrack a go aswell.

Edited by abarbarian

I'm not sure when I installed DNT+ but it was sometime in the past 3 or 4 months and it has blocked 25,877 items for me!

Guest LilBambi

I was late to the game with DoNotTrack Plus since I was previously using Ghostery, but here's mine:

Cool! Your all-time total is:

24,762 blocked

I did it a couple months back when Liz did. Like it a lot.

Who's tried to track you? Total # blocked Social networks 14,331 Ad networks 31 Tracking companies 31,050

In total, you've stopped 45,412 attempts to track you.