Robin Williams - A Tragic Loss - Rest in Peace

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Robin Williams, Rest in Peace. You will be greatly missed.

Robin_Williams_2011a_%282%29.jpg

Robin Williams – July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014

My deepest condolences to your family and friends during this very difficult time.

Robin Williams has been a wonderful comedian, actor, director, producer, writer, etc. A very versatile man with so much to give and it felt like he gave it all every time.

From Wikipedia on Robin Williams:

Robin McLaurin Williams (July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014) was an American actor and
stand-up comedian
. Rising to fame with his role as the alien Mork in the TV series
Mork & Mindy
(1978–1982), Williams went on to establish a successful career in both stand-up comedy and feature film acting. His film career included such acclaimed films as “
The World According to Garp
” (1982),
Good Morning, Vietnam
(1987),
Dead Poets Society
(1989),
Awakenings
(1990),
The Fisher King
(1991), and
Good Will Hunting
(1997), as well as financial successes such as
Popeye
(1980),
Hook
(1991),
Aladdin
(1992),
Mrs. Doubtfire
(1993),
Jumanji
(1995),
The Birdcage
(1996),
Night at the Museum
(2006), and
Happy Feet
(2006). He also appeared in the video “
Don’t Worry, Be Happy
” by
Bobby McFerrin

Nominated for the
Academy Award for Best Actor
three times, Williams received the
Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor
for his performance in
Good Will Hunting
(1997). He also received two
Emmy Awards
, four
Golden Globe Awards
, two
Screen Actors Guild Awards
and five
Grammy Awards
[3]
[4]

On August 11, 2014, Williams was found unconscious at his residence and was pronounced dead at the scene. The
Marin County, California
, coroner’s office said they believe the
cause of death
was
asphyxiation

And don’t forget Toys. Robin may want to forget it but it was a fun movie. But it’s the one I thought of today.

Because when Toys starts, it is the funeral of a very great man, a maker of fun and toys for children, yes, ‘young’ Leslie Zevo’s own father’s funeral, and a great loss to his son and everyone at Zevo Toys.

During the eulogy about Leslie’s dad’s death, a laugh box start laughing and making everyone laugh. Leslie goes over and shakes it to stop it from laughing and says, “Good one, Dad.”

After all the craziness in the movie and they have won the day and Zevo Toys will continue in Kenneth’s and Leslie’s way, the movie ends with the following;

Before Leslie’s cousin Patrick departs at the end of the movie, Leslie, his cousins and Gwen visit Kenneth’s grave, ensuring that peace is restored to the toy factory.

xzP4DJM.jpg

Kenneth Zevo’s gravestone – an elephant blowing bubbles from the movie Toys with Robin Williams.

Kenneth’s grave marker is a huge toy elephant that continuously blows bubbles. Very comical as you can see between the picture above and this one below:

EncBqci.jpg

Kenneth Zevo’s gravestone nearly at the end of the movie Toys before it flies off, apparently to alight again in a different part of the lush greenery to give others joy…

As the end credits roll, Kenneth’s grave marker, a large toy elephant floats over the lush green pasture.

To Robin who gave us all so much love, humor, comedy of all kinds and so many heartwarming as well as comedic movies and shows, I would just like to say that you will be remembered very fondly and it is hard to think of the world without you.

It just reminded me of Robin Williams.

Rest in Peace, Robin Williams.

Robin Williams, Oscar-Winning Actor, Dies at 63 in Suspected Suicide – NYTimes

Reprint from my 5BuckReview blog.

securitybreach

I normally could care less about celebrities but it shocked me like it did when Carlin died. I guess its because I grew up watching both entertainers and they had a such an influence over me, Carlin more so than Robin Williams.

Guest LilBambi

Both had a lot of influence in my life as well.

But I felt that Robin Williams was so versatile and gifted in a more areas than just comedy. I have seen and have been moved by the depth of Robin Williams' characters in just about every movie he has done; even his lesser triumphs like Toys, but the ones that really have touched me were his roles in Good Morning Vietnam, Awakenings, Dead Poets Society, Bicentennial Man, Patch Adams, Hook, Mrs. Doubtfire, and more.

But also his funny ones were almost always always heartwarming as well such as Jumanji, Toys, Night at the Museum/Night at the Museum 2, etc, Happy Feet and so much more.

I have seen so many of Robin Williams' movies, but I was surprised how many I have NOT seen.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Temmu!

Here's a nice tribute to all comedians and humorists and clowns everywhere by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles-The Tears Of A Clown (2:53):

Guest LilBambi

You know, Jonathan Winters passed away just last year, and Robin Williams no longer had his long time mentor and great friend around when so much was changing all at once in his life too. I wonder if Robin Williams ever really recovered from that loss and then so much else started hitting him in his own life from ex-wives wanting to rip from him much of what he himself built, and then to find he needed to come to terms with Parkinson's during the same time frame.

Not sure many of us could have dealt with so many blows since one's mentor and great friend died and maybe he just never had another mate (like in Crocodile Dundee, "Didn't he have any mates?"), to really feel comfortable talking with since Jonathan Winters passed away.

Quote from Crocodile Dundee:

Sue Charlton: People go to a psychiatrist to talk about their problems. She just needed to unload them. You know, bring them out in the open.

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: Hasn't she got any mates?

Sue Charlton: You're right. I guess we could all use more mates. I suppose you don't have any shrinks at Walkabout Creek.

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: No back there if you got a problem you tell Wally. And he tells everyone in town, brings it out in the open, no more problem.

Just trying to lighten the load. I think losing Robin Williams has been one of the hardest to deal with for me.

There will be no more new thoughts by this great man.

Guest LilBambi

Robin Williams And The Devastating Diagnosis: Parkinson's Disease - Forbes

Parkinson’s. ALS. Cancer. HIV. Ebola. Leukemia. Alzheimer’s. These are just a few of the diseases that elicit enormous fear in all of us ‒ not just celebrities. As it turns out, Robin Williams was diagnosed with Parkinson’s ‒ and was in the early stages of the disease.

Depression is a common mood disorder for patients with PD and it can be especially difficult to diagnose given some of the other symptoms like dementia, quiet speech and decreased facial expression that also accompany the disease.

Williams’ capacity to light up a stage, screen or audience was unmatched. The light wasn’t just bright ‒ it was brilliant. Watching some of the archival footage this week I was reminded how even the big comedic luminaries like Johnny Carson, David Letterman, Jay Leno and Conan O’Brien always took a back seat to the sheer velocity of his wit ‒ and wisdom. They were all really just guests on the Robin Williams tour ‒ and the tour was totally unpredictable ‒ and hilarious.

It’s also why the news of his suicide hit with such force. ...

So much more in this excellent article by Dan Munro at Forbes.

Guest LilBambi

That is one of the best tributes that could be done for Robin Williams! And he did it himself!

Great one! :thumbup:

There are a bunch more over there. There was a great one for all the USO trips he made to the troops too. I posted this and that on G+. I had to come here so I could get the actual link to go watch this on youtube so I posted the actual url on youtube too.

There is something weird going on with youtube videos when embedded. Some I can see and others, like this one, I had to quote your post and then use the link to go to the video and then came back here and put the actual web URL here as well as the youtu.be one that usually just works embedded here (automatically puts the media tags around it).

But that is how I had to do it to be able to watch it.

securitybreach

This is definitely not safe for work (Robin swears as much as any golfer) so I'll just post the link.

All of his standup is NSFW (I have all of his HBO specials).