editing /etc/fstab/

georgeg4

Have you stopped to read the tips? This is the mount and unmount tip. Fstab is here. If you can't get it from those then you can let us know and we can walk you through it but will need to know what you have and which partition you are trying to mount. I think you can do it from these two tips! ;)Good luck George!

I guess i am just a dummy teacher . I checked out those two and nada . I did do a mkdir and tried to mount again and got the error message no such file or directorywhat I am trying to do is mount my windows partition which is hda5 on my computer . perhaps the problem is most of bruno's tips are for mandrake and i am running red hat 9 .

George, what file system is on this new drive, NTFS or FAT32? If it's NTFS you won't be able to mount it in Red Hat without installing an NTFS driver. On the otherhand, if it's FAT32, then make a new directory somewhere in your Linux filesystem, then mount it in /etc/fstab with the parameter -t vfat. Just follow the format of the other entries in the fstab file to see where you'd put it.

I did not even think of you having something other than a Linux partition or a FAT32. Peachy is right that Red Hat can't handle the Windows NTFS. So is that what your partition is or do we need to dig a little deeper?

ok I tried < mount t-vfat /dev/hda5 > and I got the message " you must specify the file system type"The partition is fat32By the way just for future reference red hat 9 does support ntfs according to the man files

Compare where you have the minus sign and where Peachy put it. What happens if you switch it around to the way he put it? mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5

sorry teacher i put the minus sign in the wrong place in my reply only when i executed the command correctly <mount -t vfat /dev/hda5/ i get a set of instructions from the man page that saysthe correct command is mount [-t fstype] something somewhere evidently it is the dir that i am not specifying but i dont know where the dir is all I did was execute the command < mkdir hda5 >but when I try to execute mount /dev/hda5/mnt/hda5/ it gives me the error not in etc/fstab

It is rather unforgiving when it comes to spaces and things like that. :D Try copying and pasting. I see your spacing was wrong above. mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 Notice that there is a space before the minus sign as well as before the /dev and before the /mnt. You should have three blanks spaces in all.

Just a wild guess at this point. Have you tried rebooting? Then do your mount. It should have worked. I even went and checked with my "Red Hat Linux 9 Bible" to see if it was right since I don't use Red Hat. If that does not work maybe I will have to ask Bruno in a couple of days after he checks in next. I don't think we can drag him to an Internet Cafe tonight (morning to him) . He is probably reting and sleeping after a rough day on the beaches! :D

tried with thwe spaces but nothing and tried quints suggestion of mkdir/mnt/hda5 still nothing
georgeg4,There has to be a space between: "mkdir" and "/mnt/hda5".

sorry quint I did put the space in there and now it says dir exists for mkdir /mnt/hda5/ and also for mkdir /hda5/ they both existAnd teacher I guess we will just have to wait for bruno to get back into action . I thank you and quint and also peachy for your help .

sorry quint I did put the space in there and now it says dir exists for mkdir /mnt/hda5/ and also for mkdir /hda5/ they both existAnd teacher I guess we will just have to wait for bruno to get back into action . I thank you and quint and also peachy for your help .
georgeg4It should work.create mount point in the /mnt directory :mkdir /mnt/hda5mount hda5 as a vfat partition :mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5check that hda5 is mounted :mount(currently mounted partitions will be listed)unmount hda5 :umount /mnt/hda5once you can get the partition mounted, you can add it to your /etc/fstab file so no typing is required.tranquilo

no dice trnquillo I tried it again but it just wont mountthanks for your help
Are there any error messages? If so, can you post them? Are you typing the commands properly?tranquilo

no error messages it just shows the man for mount and the commands are just as you discribed i was careful to put the spaces in the right place but no dice . I tried to <mkdir> a second time and got the message it allready exists . but it still wont mount

Well if it already exists then you don't need to do that step any more. All you need to do is figure out why it won't mount. That should be so straight forward. mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5Is there any possibility that it is not a fat partition? That would explain why it would not mount. Do you have any other distros loaded? You can always check in them if so. Keep in mind you usually don't mount a partition until you are ready to use them so your boot times will be faster.

It is definately a fat32 ( vfat) partition it is visible in hardware browser as hda5 fat32 . I have a small partition which is ext3 for SUSE demo diskand I do have a second install of RH9 on another partition as a backup . It is a clean install bootable with a floppy not through Lilo

So you have Red Hat on your computer and it is not using hda5. You want to mount hda5 because?? Is it a windows partition you are trying to access? Or is it a blank partition? Have you tried umount /dev/hda5 just to make sure it was not mounted and you didn't know it?

well here goes teacher i tried to unmount and it came back that the dev was not mounted according to mtabNow here is my setup below with file systems notedHda1 c drive w/Win98 fat32Hda2 shows as the entire drive 32 gigs extendedHda5 e drivew/WinXP fat32Hda6 RH9 ext3Hda7 SUSE Demo Disk ext3Hda8 RH9 ( this is a clean install I only use as a backup Bootable by floppy . Not in Lilo)ext3Hda9 Linux swapI tried to mkdir with both the Hda1 and Hda2 as well as Hda5 none of them will mount

It's quite simple. Your computer is protesting the presence of that other operating system :o on it and refusing to access it. How did you get it to do that? ;)

On the serious side George. The first thing at this point is to post your fstab. You will copy it to a text file and then cut and paste that into your post: cat /etc/fstab >fstab.txt What this does is create a text file of your fstab in your /home/george. That is what you will copy and paste into your post.Then I want you to go to your /mnt directory and post what you see there.We will then go from there.

ok teacher here is my fstab.txt I can mount both floppies and both cd's with no problem since they are all listed in Disk Management .LABEL=/1 / ext3 defaults 1 1none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0none /proc proc defaults 0 0none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0/dev/hda9 swap swap defaults 0 0/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0/dev/fd1 /mnt/floppy1 auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~below is my mnt dir/dev/hda6 on / type ext3 (rw)none on /proc type proc (rw)usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

I thought you were trying to mount device hda5. There is no had5 in your fstab. Did you paste this or try to retype it? If it is really hda5 we are trying to mount then we need to carefully go back into your fstab and add it in. Is hda5 a swap, home, /, or what type of drive. We need to go back to that point so it can properly be added in. Or is it really a different drive. I notice in your first post you list it as fda5. I don't think you were trying to mount a floppy device so let's get that part cleared up as well.

Julia Hda5 is a partition on the same hdd as my linux partition on the same drive I have as follows'hda1 which is C: Windows98 SE Fat32hda2 which is the entire hard drive hda5 which is E: Windows XP Fat32hda6 which is RH9 Ext3hda7 which is a Suse partition ( for the Suse 8.2 Demo Disk )hda 8 which is RH9 Ext3 ( back up for my RH9 )hda9 which is the linux swap filesI also have a spare drive hdb1 which has nothing on itThese drives are all shown in my hardware browser .I have two floppies fd0 and fd1I have two cd drives cdrom and cdrom1 These four drives are in my disk management and I can mount them with no troubleI know that hda5 is not in my fstab that is why I wanted to learn how to edit the fstab file so I can put it in and mount it .

To add it to your fstab you must be very careful. Can you make a backup of your fstab first! Please do not do any editing until you have done that. Then I think the best route might be to go into vi and add your drive. Are you comfortable using vi? You will need to enter a line something like this I believe:/dev/hda5 . . . ./mnt/windows vfat . . . iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0At least that is how it used to be on mine. If you look in the fstab tips you can see how mine was when I had a windows partition added in. Then when you are done you should be able to mount it using the mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5Let us know if you need more specific than that or if you want to wait for Bruno to walk you through it. It looks like he will have his hands full though. I sure am glad Mandrake has a simple GUI that lets you add your partitions to your fstab. I don't have to go into a command line for it because I can do it all from the control center. Does your software not have a gui for it?