Archlinux News: Changes to Intel microcode updates

securitybreach

securitybreach

Changes to Intel microcode updates

2014-10-22 - Thomas Bächler

Microcode on Intel CPUs is no longer loaded automatically, as it needs to be loaded very early in the boot process. This requires adjustments in the bootloader. If you have an Intel CPU, please follow the instructions in the wiki.

https://www.archlinu...crocodeupdates/

• Like 1

securitybreach

Unless your running an Intel Haswell processor, you should not really worry about this. This is only for updating the firmware for your processor. Most people will not need to do anything at all. I have an i5 (ivybridge) and I do nto even have the intel-ucode installed.

securitybreach

After researching, it looks like only the (i5/i7) haswell line really needs microcode updates. I have an ivybridge i5 and I did not have intel-ucode installed so I didn't worry about it. Unless you have a known issue with your cpu, then you probably will not have to worry about updating your microcode.

These microcode instructions are in a way the firmware of a CPU. The first version of the CPU-firmware you use is stored on your motherboard/bios. You can update the cpu-firmware by flashing your bios or by loading the latest version of CPU-microcode during every boot process. A regular user (like i am) usually won't notice the small bugfixes a microcode update applies. Please don't panic. Your machine won't die if your CPU-microcode is out of date! If you haven't used the intel-ucode package before you probably won't need it now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)

• Like 1