Animated Forum Avatars are ....

Dale Ray

I think that animated forum avatars are -  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I find avatars too annoying, I go into board settings and turn them off.I haven't found any here that has caused me to edit my board settings.On a plus, I went in and looked around my profile and discovered that I had to amend two of my computers' descriptions since I recently upped the RAM in both notebooks. So thanks for getting me to look in there and fix that.

Guest LilBambi
If I find avatars too annoying, I go into board settings and turn them off.I haven't found any here that has caused me to edit my board settings.
Ditto! :thumbsup:And as a dialup user, there are several forum topics that I rarely view due to the large number of images without turning off images in my browser first, but the animated avatars do not cause problems for me in general.Avatars in general help people to personalize their little space here on the forums and help to give it a 'homey' feeling. I would not want to disallow them.I do want to remind folks that there are requirements on dimensional size and file size for avatars. Animated or not, they do have to meet that criteria. But other than that, any avatar that meets that criteria is allowed.If you find that an avatar that is hosted elsewhere does not meet the Forum Rules criteria, please feel free to let us know and we will contact the Member/Highlander to ask them to revise their avatar to fit with the criteria.I would also like to mention that we already had this discussion in the early days of Scot's Newsletter Forums.

Cluttermagnet
If I find avatars too annoying, I go into board settings and turn them off.I haven't found any here that has caused me to edit my board settings.
I have found a couple were annoying. I used AdBlock to disable loading the graphic. Problem solved.

I think the problem is not the avatar itself but more the slow loading time of them whilst being hosted on slow servers to serve those avatars; That really hurts dial up users. One of those slow servers is imageshack : I see it more than just now and then their servers are slow like molasses, the next day they are OK again. I'm still looking for a fast server for my own avatar and the siggie, found one but that reverts all hosted pics back to jpg's which are not allowed at the forums. I think it's time to host them myself. Coming to think of that ... adsl2+ .... ;)