8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,534 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

greets!

i was dismayed to discover that our local apple store does not sell parts for its products. "no, but you can bring it in and we'll fix it!" roughly translated, "after we give you the repair quote, you will discover that you can buy a new one with more features for another 30 to 40 % of the repair bill... o! and now that you are here in our showroom, let me get a couple of our goons to show you the all-new..."

sigh.

i guess the alternate title would be, "how to go from spending $4 to $400 in the blink of an eye." you don't have to be a scientist to appreciate that a jump of 2 orders of magnitude is incredible!
Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

That is because the mini, like its bigger brother, has a screen that is glued in and is generally considered non-repairable without specialized tools.

http://www.ifixit.co... Teardown/11423

Repair guides- http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPad_Mini

The price we pay for having thinner and thinner stuff.

Adam
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

The Assimilator

• Forum MVP
  • 12,534 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

i understand... but was just disappointed that the one place i thought i could get parts from locally, won't sell 'em. - i did find a place that sells most of those parts that is within driving distance, and, of course, the internet offers the rest.
Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Parts should be available somewhere though.

But I can see that from their stores they may not be available directly as they are an authorized repair center.

BTW: I want an iPad Mini Retina!
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#5 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

Apple support is generally pretty amazing, but iPhones and iPads are generally toasters when it comes to repairability.... best to simply get a new one. We older folk tend to be very handy with this kind of stuff, but the general public, making it not worth Apple's time stocking the parts for resale.

#6 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, but for those that are able, there should be a place to get parts. Even if it's not at the Apple Stores.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#7 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

I agree with you about the general population though, Adam.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

View PostLilBambi, on 07 February 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

Yeah, but for those that are able, there should be a place to get parts. Even if it's not at the Apple Stores.

Yep, and there are places online. iFixIt sells a lot of parts. eBay has tons of cheap Chinese knockoffs.....

Adam

#9 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Ah, OK, and that's what was needed. Thanks!

iFixIt iPad Parts

iFixIt iPad mini Parts (1st gen)
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users