Need advice building killer computer...

marcos9999

I'm working with 3D computer graphics and need some power. My work involves rendering of single frames as in 3D animation, however I'm working with still frames rendering but very intense ones. As my 3D models get more complex I can see my regular computer crying for mercy. So with so many options out there can anyone point out to best graphics card, mother board, or even a good site one can build a killer PC on a budget?

Thanks

I'm working with 3D computer graphics and need some power. My work involves rendering of single frames as in 3D animation, however I'm working with still frames rendering but very intense ones. As my 3D models get more complex I can see my regular computer crying for mercy. So with so many options out there can anyone point out to best graphics card, mother board, or even a good site one can build a killer PC on a budget?

Thanks

What is the budget? whenever i get lustfull , i head on over here.

Thanks

You don't necessarily need a "killer PC" for what you are doing; but a good graphics card and ample RAM will help immensely. And there is no such thing as a "killer PC on a budget". Either you pay for it or you don't. However, you can build good/decent performance PCs for a reasonable price say between $800-$1,200. USD.

You can start by telling us what kind of a budget you are working with. FOR EXAMPLE: $600-$800. etc.

Read these guides for starters.

Ars Technica system guide: December 2011

Buyers Guide: PC Configuration

Alienware is high end gaming - it may not fit in your budget.

Last time I checked your profile, you are from the Phillipines or somewhere in Asia. I could be wrong about that as I've confused you with someone else. If you are from overseas, it would help if you specified what currency you're dealing with.

Edited by Tushman

V.T. Eric Layton

If you have the capabilities to build from mobo up, then do NOT waste your money on pre-made systems or bare bones. You can build a $1500 screaming machine for 1/3 that price if you hunt down your individual components and assemble yourself.

For gaming and graphics, stick with high-end Nvidia-based graphics hardware. Steer clear of onboard graphics; it is usually sub-standard compared to stand-alone vid cards.

Make sure you have a powerful enough power supply to supple the needed wattage to all your devices.

Heat KILLS! Make sure your new system has oodles of air movement in the form of sufficient cooling fans.

Be patient when hunting for your components. Spending a little extra time and research can definitely save you some money.

Have FUN! :)

For gaming and graphics, stick with high-end Nvidia-based graphics hardware. Steer clear of onboard graphics; it is usually sub-standard compared to stand-alone vid cards.

In addition to what Eric said, do not even bother thinking about using on-board graphics what what you're doing. You will need a dedicated graphics card and ample RAM. An Nividia 460 GTX is selling these days for roughly $150 and should suffice for what you need. There are better cards. Again - since you haven't told us your budget, making a recommendation seems pointless. You can look on Newegg for 500 series graphics cards to get an idea of how much more you will need to spend.

4 GB RAM and a 64-bit operating system would be nice. I would recommend 8 GB or more.

Edited by Tushman

If you can buy from NewEgg, here's a shopping list for a pretty powerful system at just under $1200 USD (when you include rebates), not including shipping.

NewEgg wish list.

I've saved it as a "public" wish list named 3D Killer at NewEgg if the link above doesn't work.

I would recommend against a gaming card and get a workstation graphics card. They are optimized differently for 3D modeling operations. PNY sells reasonably priced low-end Nvidia NV290/295 cards. Also, memory is important so if you can get something that handles 32GB that would be good. A Z68 chipset Sandy Bridge motherboard is good.

If you can buy from NewEgg, here's a shopping list for a pretty powerful system at just under $1200 USD (when you include rebates), not including shipping.

NewEgg wish list.

I've saved it as a "public" wish list named 3D Killer at NewEgg if the link above doesn't work.

That's a good idea. I sometimes don't like the idea of spending too much time trying to assemble a computer correctly. I looked for your list but could not find it. I didn't see any public list named "3D killer" could it be just 3D instead? Let me know.

If you have the capabilities to build from mobo up, then do NOT waste your money on pre-made systems or bare bones. You can build a $1500 screaming machine for 1/3 that price if you hunt down your individual components and assemble yourself.

Make sure you have a powerful enough power supply to supple the needed wattage to all your devices.

Heat KILLS! Make sure your new system has oodles of air movement in the form of sufficient cooling fans.

Be patient when hunting for your components. Spending a little extra time and research can definitely save you some money.

Have FUN! :)

Thank you Eric. Yes, have fun that's an advice worth listening to. Will look into a good ventilation system, I know that since I had two or three computers frying on me due to heat.

You don't necessarily need a "killer PC" for what you are doing; but a good graphics card and ample RAM will help immensely. And there is no such thing as a "killer PC on a budget". Either you pay for it or you don't. However, you can build good/decent performance PCs for a reasonable price say between $800-$1,200. USD.

You can start by telling us what kind of a budget you are working with. FOR EXAMPLE: $600-$800. etc.

Read these guides for starters.

Ars Technica system guide: December 2011

Buyers Guide: PC Configuration

Alienware is high end gaming - it may not fit in your budget.

Last time I checked your profile, you are from the Phillipines or somewhere in Asia. I could be wrong about that as I've confused you with someone else. If you are from overseas, it would help if you specified what currency you're dealing with.

I do agree. I might not need a killer computer. I just want a computer that will handle large files which is the true test of how robust a system really is. No I'm not from the Phillipines, I'm from Brazil but have been in the US for a long...long time.

What is the budget? whenever i get lustfull , i head on over here.

Thanks for the info

V.T. Eric Layton

Hi Marcos,

Yes... I should have put the "have FUN" at the top of the list. It is definitely an important part. If searching for good deals on components and building your own system is misery, then by all means, just buy one already made. However, if you do enjoy the feeling of saying, "Hey! I built this baby myself," then go for it.

:)

Hello,

If you are looking for a purpose-built graphics workstation, you might want to look at some of BOXX's offerings. They are not inexpensive, but you are getting a workstation designed for 3-D graphics.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

That's a good idea. I sometimes don't like the idea of spending too much time trying to assemble a computer correctly. I looked for your list but could not find it. I didn't see any public list named "3D killer" could it be just 3D instead? Let me know.

The public wish list page hasn't been updated since 3/13? I inadvertantly sent you the link from my private wish list even though I marked it "public". Here's the list that I sent to myself via email, then snipped and uploaded to Walagata:

NewEgg wishlist

The Gigabyte MB can handle up to 32GB of RAM, though the wish list only shows 16GB - 4x4GB Ram sticks.

However, Peachy is correct in that a workstation graphics card would probably be better than a gaming graphics card for the work that you are doing. This is a NewEgg page showing those types of cards: Workstation graphic cards

I've never used one of these, so I'm afraid I can't help with suggestions on choosing one.