No sound after new install of Linux Mint

daveydoom

Hi all :) .I just installed Linux Mint 8 on a spare PC and the install went extremely smooth except I have no sound. I found a link online that told me to open a terminal window and type aplay -l. The output was:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 0: ES1371/1 [ES1371 DAC2/ADC] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0card 0: AudioPCI [Ensoniq AudioPCI], device 1: ES1371/2 [ES1371 DAC1] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #
I then typed lspci -v and the output was:
00:0f.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880B [AudioPCI] (rev 02) Subsystem: Ensoniq Device 8001 Flags: slow devsel, IRQ 10 I/O ports at dc00 [disabled] Capabilities: <access denied> Kernel driver in use: ENS1371 Kernel modules: snd-ens1371
And now I'm lost :whistling: . It appears as though the hardware has been found (Ensoniq 5880B) but I don't know how to make it work.Any thoughts? Edited by daveydoom

$sudo alsaconf

... follow the prompts. :whistling:

Nope. Alsaconf AWOL in Mint. And Ubuntu. And Debian.http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-alsa/trunk/...ils/debian/NEWS
alsa-utils (1.0.19-1) unstable; urgency=low This upload removes alsaconf and asoundconf, two scripts which could be used to modify certain ALSA parametres, as they caused more problems than provided solutions, were outdated and generally useless. alsaconf was upstream's way to detect sound cards and generate system-wide ALSA configurations. However, this should have been unnecessary for a very long time, with the introduction of udev support and its automatic hardware detection. If this isn't the case for you, it's a bug which should be filed and fixed properly. asoundconf was a tool introduced by Ubuntu which could be used to generate asoundrc files for systems with special needs. The script was not being maintained and was getting buggy, and the Debian and Ubuntu teams have agreed to get rid of it for the next release. Users can use Pulse or similar technologies to configure their preferred sound devices and sinks. -- Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org> Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:53:02 +0100

No dice :( . All sound settings appear correct, nothing mutued. I have a spare identical soundcard that I swapped in and the same thing happens so I assume it's not a hardware issue.

Check if the module is loaded correctly

lsmod

Try reloading the module ( need to su to root first)

#modprobe -r snd-ens1371 && modprobe snd-ens1371

lsmod:

Module				  Size  Used bybinfmt_misc			 8356  1 dm_crypt			   12928  0 snd_ens1371			22016  1 gameport			   11368  1 snd_ens1371snd_ac97_codec		101216  1 snd_ens1371ac97_bus				1532  1 snd_ac97_codecsnd_pcm_oss			37920  0 snd_mixer_oss		  16028  1 snd_pcm_osssnd_pcm				75296  3 snd_ens1371,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_osssnd_seq_dummy		   2656  0 snd_seq_oss			28576  0 snd_seq_midi			6432  0 snd_rawmidi			22208  2 snd_ens1371,snd_seq_midiiptable_filter		  3100  0 ip_tables			  11692  1 iptable_filterx_tables			   16544  1 ip_tablessnd_seq_midi_event	  6940  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midisnd_seq				50224  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_eventsnd_timer			  22276  2 snd_pcm,snd_seqsnd_seq_device		  6920  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seqppdev				   6688  0 parport_pc			 31940  1 via686a				12744  0 snd					59204  12 snd_ens1371,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_devicesoundcore			   7264  1 sndpsmouse				56180  0 snd_page_alloc		  9156  1 snd_pcmi2c_viapro			  7312  0 shpchp				 32272  0 serio_raw			   5280  0 lp					  8964  0 parport				35340  3 ppdev,parport_pc,lpdm_raid45			  84228  0 xor					15620  1 dm_raid45natsemi				26944  0 floppy				 54916  0 via_agp				 7932  1 agpgart				34988  1 via_agp

Not sure what to make of anything in there but I don't see any errors reported. I'll try reloading the module now :( .

Hi all :) .I just installed Linux Mint 8 on a spare PC and the install went extremely smooth except I have no sound. I found a link online that told me to open a terminal window and type aplay -l. The output was:I then typed lspci -v and the output was:And now I'm lost :( . It appears as though the hardware has been found (Ensoniq 5880B) but I don't know how to make it work.Any thoughts?
I've had this problem with earlier versions of Mint and the only solution I found was to reinstall Mint. I tried uninstalling just the audio modules and it didn't help.

securitybreach
lsmod:Not sure what to make of anything in there but I don't see any errors reported. I'll try reloading the module now :) .
Odd, I do not see snd-ens1371 listed in lsmod. I would first try what Sunrat suggested:
# modprobe snd-ens1371

Your lspci -v output shows the mdoule but it does not seem to be loaded. :(

Odd, I do not see snd-ens1371 listed in lsmod. I would first try what Sunrat suggested:
# modprobe snd-ens1371

Your lspci -v output shows the mdoule but it does not seem to be loaded. :unsure:

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware :) . I tried all that and it didn't seem to help so I just reinstalled Mint and now I have sound :( .Thanks everyone, I appreciate your time and efforts. You'd all make Bruno proud :) . Edited by daveydoom

I've had this problem with earlier versions of Mint and the only solution I found was to reinstall Mint.
Is this a case where sometimes the audio modules are configured correctly during installation and sometimes they just aren't? I'm sure that sounds like an overly basic question, but I'm not trolling, I'm just wondering if this does appear to be a "random bug" in Mint. I'm sure that a bazillion things go on simultaneously in an installation, and it's possible for processes to collide at some points depending on the type of memory & processor speed, &c.Anyway, glad the "back up the truck" option worked for you, Daveydoom :( Edited by Eggdog