Show Us Your GNU/Linux Desktop

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton
You have to realize it is not like that everywhere. Like this picture was taken on top of a mountain with a lot of wind and a tree wall stopping the snow from blowing further. But it does make the road unusable for a few day. So instead of driving a mere 30 km from Cape North to Pleasant Bay if we want to go from one to the other we have to drive all the way around the Cabot Trail ( about 300 km ) or as I said wait a couple of days.

Ah! So that wasn't just down the street from your house then? :teehee:

Guest LilBambi

Wouldn't it have done better to take that snapshot of the webcam in the daytime? Or are you so far north you are in the really dark period of time? ;)

Sorry! I didn't realize the link is a live one that changes over time. I had put the link in in the middle of the afternoon. I was just teasing Eric because it was a picture of a long long stretch of road.I will know better next time.

@Fran. I am still quite impress of the pictures about snow in Japan. They say there are valleys in the Cape Breton Highland National Park with over 40 feet of snow but there are no roads going through.

P.S. This is the image I intended to show. Knowing how small it is I thought that copying the link location would be better. Once again sorry!

frenchmountain1.th.jpg

Edited by réjean

Hoping that this will redeem me from the booboo I made a few days ago.

42483810150666249280097.th.jpg

This was taken by a friend of mine at sunrise this morning. You can almost see our house at the top of the harbour, between the end of the peninsula ( hard to see ) and the gypsum cliff ( the smaller white patch ).

This was taken by a friend of mine at sunrise this morning. You can almost see our house at the top of the harbour, between the end of the peninsula ( hard to see ) and the gypsum cliff ( the smaller white patch ).

Is the white stuff frozen water ?

Is the white stuff frozen water ?

Not quite! It's snow ( maybe a foot right now ( ~30 cm ) on top of probably the same depth of ice ). Our neighbours who have kids have shoveled a big enough area to make a natural skating rink. We haven't cross-country skied over it yet this winter but we can go all the way to the ocean ( about a mile or kilometre ).

Guest LilBambi
Sorry! I didn't realize the link is a live one that changes over time. I had put the link in in the middle of the afternoon. I was just teasing Eric because it was a picture of a long long stretch of road.I will know better next time.

@Fran. I am still quite impress of the pictures about snow in Japan. They say there are valleys in the Cape Breton Highland National Park with over 40 feet of snow but there are no roads going through.

P.S. This is the image I intended to show. Knowing how small it is I thought that copying the link location would be better. Once again sorry!

frenchmountain1.th.jpg

No apologies necesssary. We were teasing you. ;)

Beautiful! And certainly makes up for any perceived booboo. ;)

Not quite! It's snow ( maybe a foot right now ( ~30 cm ) on top of probably the same depth of ice ). Our neighbours who have kids have shoveled a big enough area to make a natural skating rink. We haven't cross-country skied over it yet this winter but we can go all the way to the ocean ( about a mile or kilometre ).

You got it made mate.

Proper snow fun in winter plus almost private ice rink.

No shortage of wood for fuel.

Summer sailing on the doorstep.

The list is endless.

:D

Oops! My wrong again. I posted the wrong image. This should have been the one;

screenshotff.th.png

There was something weird about the previous one. I couldn't see what it was. Geeze. The icons were missing. Speaking of them when I open PCLinuxOS mini-zen I get several partitions mounted by default with icons on the Desktop ( I put them at the bottom right so it wouldn't spoil the picture ) which I appreciate except that I would prefer create a folder that would include them because there are a few that I rarely use. Is there a way to do so?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking great abarbarian!! What is the dock you have on the left side of the screen. Is that WindowMaker specific?

Interesting. Thanks Josh. Have not tried WindowMaker as I have been so pleased with OpenBox that I have not felt a need to venture on ward. Though, I must admit, the only other WM I have maybe thought about trying was Awesome.

Hi ichase Dock cna as securitybreach says can be used in other window managers.Here are a couple of links for Windowmaker that tell you more about the dock. There are tons of apps for the dock but only about 10% will run for me. Still I'm having fun so who cares. <_<

http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201103/page18.html

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_Maker

V.T. Eric Layton

My plain ol', nuthin' fancy, not-too-techy Slackware desktop for this week...

slack1337xfceshot04.th.png

securitybreach
Now, now, boys! That's art. It's NOT to be drooled over.

Agreed :thumbsup:

But you have to admit she is built nicely B)

V.T. Eric Layton
Agreed :thumbsup:

But you have to admit she is built nicely B)

Yes, she's somehow beautiful to me without even seeing her face. I was captivated by the image when I first saw it. Had to make a desktop out of it. :)