36 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Digerati

Digerati

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

Thanks. I keep debating if I should spring for Office 2016 or move to Libre (or Open) Office.

I am pretty sure I could easily adapt to those Word and Excel equivalents. One of my problems is I am really tied to Outlook 2007 with 100s of personal and business contacts and extensive appointments and calendar entries, not to mention a couple dozen email folders and Rules to filter emails into those folders. I accept change is necessary, but at my age, I really like the status quo. But sadly, when it comes to computing, security tends to trump all.

But, that's really running this thread OT now. Sorry raymac46.
Posted Image Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
Posted Image Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

#27 OFFLINE   Pete!

Pete!

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostDigerati, on 24 July 2017 - 11:55 AM, said:

My "guess" is sometime during the last 20 years :whistling: you installed one of Microsoft's "Office Compatibility" packages so you could read the newer Office formats with the older Office versions and that's what Windows Update is keying on.
Your guess is correct. While I was uninstalling stuff I got rid of that, (and "Word Reader")  as well.

Do you like Libre Office?
My only complaints, which also applied when I was trying Open Office, is that it opens much more slowly than Office 97, and I haven't yet figured out how to automatically put "bar codes" on envelopes. Since I use Office applications a lot less, now that I'm fully retired, it's not a big deal....

#28 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

Regarding disposal there is a recycling drop off not far from me where I take all the used hardware. No payoff but they take it for free. I made sure to wipe all the hard drives using one of the utilities on Hiren's boot CD.
My neighbor dropped by today and apparently the database expert was able to recover his data and get him going again with his financial accounting/bank reconciliation software. He's happy.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#29 OFFLINE   Digerati

Digerati

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:57 AM

I made sure to wipe all the hard drives using one of the utilities on Hiren's boot CD.
I've used that one before too. Eraser – which uses DBAN technologies is good too and very easy. And Drive Wiper in CCleaner works great as well.
I am glad your neighbor got his data back. Now remind him to make a backup! I tell people, "All drives WILL fail - eventually."
Freedom is NOT Free!

#30 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,225 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

This is my #1 choice of hard drive erasers to use before I throw the old drives into the garbage can...

a 16 lb sledge-o'-matic

Posted Image

#31 OFFLINE   Digerati

Digerati

Post Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

a 16 lb sledge-o'-matic
Ah, the old "double-jack". I used to use one of those making little rocks out of boulders when I worked 2015 feet underground at the Magma Copper Company Mine in San Manual, Arizona. I was glad they soon figured out I was smarter than that hammer and the rocks I was beating on as they promoted me to "motorman" where I got to drive a train on the 80 miles of track they had on that level alone. It was still back-breaking work but better than swinging a 16lb sledge for 7 hours a day. At the time it was the world's largest underground copper mine.

As for destroying drives, if it is not easily readable and there might be sensitive data on it, we drill 3 holes through it about an inch from the center hub. Then send them off to a recycling center to keep them out of landfills.

If they have highly sensitive or classified data on them, we have access to a hard drive shredder very similar to this one.
Freedom is NOT Free!

#32 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,225 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

Neat shredder! I want one. :)

#33 OFFLINE   daveydoom

daveydoom

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:13 PM

Is the gentleman using Sage Peachtree Accounting 2011?   If so, there appears to be a link to a repair utility here.   It starts at the US site but the direct donwload link for that software appears to be Canadian as shown below:

http://cdn.na.sage.c...air Utility.exe

It may be worth a shot after speaking with Sage support?

I use the 2014 stand alone version of Sage at my business and have no plans of updating for a few more years.  I make two backups each day and I periodically make copies of the raw database and any/all associated files/folders.   I know my backups work because the accountant uses it each year :)  .

Edited by daveydoom, 25 July 2017 - 11:27 PM.

#34 ONLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:16 AM

Peachtree is still around? wow!
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#35 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

Peachtree Accounting was Simply Accounting US edition and there was a separate Simply Accounting Canadian edition. Sage rebranded everything in 2012.
My neighbor has/had the 2011 SA Canadian Edition - I don't think the US and Canadian editions were compatible. Wouldn't expect them to be the same given the difference in tax and employment laws.
Hopefully my neighbor will update his software as part of getting his data working again.
Posted Image

#36 OFFLINE   daveydoom

daveydoom

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

View Postraymac46, on 26 July 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

I don't think the US and Canadian editions were compatible. Wouldn't expect them to be the same given the difference in tax and employment laws.

I would agree as that makes perfect sense.   However, the repair utility may still work for either version.   Sage would be the ones to ask about that before attempting to use that tool  :)  .

#37 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Talked to my neighbor some more. Apparently he had to get the latest version (Sage 50) of the software and then he could reload his data as before.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users