Major help in Linux

SloHands

I have just installed v9.1 after removing v9.0 of Mandrake. While the new distro is an improvement in many area's, it fails in others. One of which is allowing me access to my DVD-ROM and CD-RW burner. The system tells me I do not have permissions for access. I am the lone user / admin of the system. What I know about and the using of Linux, you could put on the head of a pin and still have room for the "Lord's Prayer". But, I learning or at least trying to. Getting past the "Windows Syndrome" is a bit daunting. LOL The point being, I need to be "led by the hand" for awhile, to understand compiling the system to fit my needs. BTW, I will not be returning to anything Windows. Thanks for listening and for helping. I may become a PITA for awhile. :unsure:

Hi SloHandsWelcome to the forum !I see you´re having problems with your Mandrake 9.1. Would you allow me to ask a really stupid question, as you try to acces your CD-rom is there a CD in the drive. And if you use konqueror to navigate and klick in the side bar on /mnt ( may take some time to open, what do you see ? Are the CDrom and floppy there ? Are they locked ? ( even with the CD in the drive )Please report back to me !:unsure: Bruno

Hey Bruno, thanks for the quick reply. Yes there was a CD in the drawer, but not locked. I did get a window that said /mnt/cdrom was not available or something (my poor memory). I attempted to remedy the permission thingy, but I am lost at how to use the commandline. I used the Mandrake Control Center here. Didn't think of Konquerer as a solution point. :unsure:

Hi SloHandsO.K. if you click on the CD directory in /mnt does it open and show the contents of your CD ?B) Bruno

Nope. I get the window stating I do not have permission to access it. There were files I wanted to view on a CD... and this also applies to the CD-RW, which I had media in.... I was looking to burn some files I had downloaded, but I got the same window and message...

Hi SloHandsOpen a console and typesugive your rootpassword andmount /dev/cdrommount /mnt/cdromCtrl+ddo the same with cdrom2B) Bruno

Outstanding Bruno. I'll do just that, but later. I have some "honey-do" errands to get done asap. I'll post back later.. TUVM B)

Rats, Bruno! That solution did not work for me. It stated that ( mount: can't find /dev/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab) B)

SloHands,Would you post that fstab here ?This is what you should doopen a console and type:cat /etc/fstab >fstab.txtThen go to your home dir. ( just clikcing ) and click on the txt file we just made, that will open it, just copy the text and paste it here in your next post !B) Bruno

cat/ectfstab>fstab.txtbash: cat/ectfstab: No such file or directory
Guessing here, but, did you leave a space between "cat" and "/etc/fstab"

Hiya Quint, nope ... no space... and just to check if it was necessary, I went into console and tried that... same response...

SloHandsIt should be, (and do not mind the dots, they are space )cat . ./etc/fstab . .>fstab.txtB) Bruno

cat /ect/fstab >fstab.txtcat: /ect/fstab: No such file or directoryI made the changes as prescribed and the above was the response...

SloHandsNo FSTAB ?This is absolutely impossible, I guess that is why you cant access your cdroms !I fear I have to advice you to re-install.Re-format only your / partition and leave your /home partition as it is ! This way all your personal settings and stuff will be saved !I´m very sorryB) Bruno

LOL Bruno, not to be sorry or disturbed.. I certainly am not.... I cannot tell you the hundreds of times I went thru this with all the windows systems, that never stablized, so this is not unfamiliar territory for me to deal with.... and, I know that it may happen again. The thing is, Linux is a far superior system compared to Windows, IMO. Each step is getting me farther from the dependence and Micro$oft's stangle hold on my computer.

Bruno, not to be sorry or disturbed.. I certainly am not.... I cannot tell you the hundreds of times I went thru this with all the windows systems, that never stablized, so this is not unfamiliar territory for me to deal with.... and, I know that it may happen again.
That´s the spirit SloHands ! Hope to see you up and running soon !Be carefull with messing around with dependencies on the commandline though ! And first check if you have an /etc/fstab in your new setuo. :(:( Bruno

Yea, He keeps posting "ect/fstab"..... There's the problem. I've never heard of not having an fstab but anythings possible I guess...... Hope he didn't format already..... B) Jon