VectorLinux 5.8 goes GOLD!

Bruno

From my inbox:

(Mailing list information, including unsubscription instructions, is located at the end of this message.)__ Hi Bruno,Just to let you know we have officially released the final version of our 5.8 release the official announce follows:The Vector developement team is proud to announce the release of Vector Linux 5.8 Standard final, code named "Santa" (Merry Christmas!). This is the fruit that has resulted from several months of coding, debugging and testing by the core developement team and the Vector community. This release follows our legendary tradition of stability (inherited from Slackware11.0), blazing speed on even modest hardware. and simplicity of design and function. The release features fully working browser plugins including Flash 9, java, mp3, real media, Windows media and DVD playback (including encrypted movies).Additional features include: Linux kernel 2.6.18.5, fully customized Xfce 4.3.99.2, SeaMonkey InternetSuite 1.0.6, Firefox 2.0 and Opera 9.10 (so you'll be sure to have your favourite browser!). The Gimp and Xara LX for your graphic needs, Abiword and Gnumeric for your officetasks. We include our own suite of configuration and support tools such as vasm, vl-hot, and Gslapt. There is a full set of wireless drivers and configuration tools, support for read and write to ntfs via fuse and ntfs-3g and we have games lots of games. Printers, scanners and cameras are supported as well. We have popular programs like openoffice 2.10 and kde-3.5.5 and many others available in our repository just a slapt-get away.Merry Christmas and happy new year!! Enjoy!The VL teamUPDATE!! The DELUXE version of VectorLinux 5.8 has just hit the shelves of our CDSTORE check it outhttp://vectorlinux.com/mod.php?mod=userpag...8&page_id=1Cheers,Vec
Needless to say I downloaded and installed the puppy . . .:blink:. . . . . . . MINI-Vector-58.png <-- ClickB) Bruno. . . . . . . Wishes.png.

Say... is there a possibility to run it live first? I didn't find the answer from their pages... :hmm:
There is no 5.8 Live version yet . . . . . only a 5.1.But Urmas . . . sure you have a spare partition . . . . and the install only takes 15 minutes . . . AND you can put the bootloader in the / partition so it does not overwrite your Ubuntu Grub in the MBR.:o Bruno. . . . . . . Wishes.png.

There is no 5.8 Live version yet . . . . . only a 5.1.But Urmas . . . sure you have a spare partition . . .
:hmm: :o :o Right now, I'm using a PIII with a 10 GB HDD... my "own" computer is 240 km southwest of me. :thumbsup:

:hmm: :o :o Right now, I'm using a PIII with a 10 GB HDD... my "own" computer is 240 km southwest of me. :thumbsup:
In that case you will have to take my word for it: trust me it is a real nice distro, and the standard version ( like this one ) is specially suited to run on older hardware . . . . and only needs a few GB of HD space :thumbsup: :DB) Bruno. . . . . . . Wishes.png.

Bruno, where are the live versions hidden on the nluug site? I can't even see 5.1 in the list.I found it by cheating, LOL. I took your post with the live downloads, pretended I was going to reply with a quote so I could see the full path. The live version is inside the 5.0 folder, then in the iso folder.I'm stating that here because when I go to search for a live version of 5.8, I won't remember where to look! :o I'll search for a post by me on vector and uncover the info. :hmm:

Edited by zlim

:w00t: What is the diff. between "standard" and "soho"?
Standard needs less memory and CPU power . . . . because it does not use KDE or Gnome but less resource hungry window-managers . . . it runs great on older hardware.SOHO, is the small office version ( has OpenOfffice ) and runs KDE by default . . it needs a more recent system ( + 4years old ):) Bruno. . . . . . . Wishes.png.

Downloaded it and thought that I would give it a try again as the last couple of versions of Vector have not worked very well on my hardware. the first couple of attempts with this 5.8 version would not finish the install. The CD checked OK and so did the MD5 sum so I reburned it using the slowest burn setting. This time it installed but Lilo would not install to the root partition (hda7). So I booted using the CD and reran Lilo this time it installed Ok. and here I am after rebooting. It runs fast on my machine. Will have to play with it awhile. I wish it would have used Grub though as I prefer it instead of Lilo.Mel :w00t:

Just installed it successfully on the machine. :devil: This is the first time a vector linux install succeeded, the previous machine did not like vector at all, this machine did not like it too until now... :devil: A new playing toy for christmas !It installed without a hitch from begin to end. I opted for NOT to install lilo because I use another distros lilo as bootloader, which I simply adapted to boot vector too.Before the very first boot into vector I tweaked xorg.conf for my DVI connected LCD, then logged out and back in as user successfully.On to explore and tweak and adjust settings, update and .... see you later !

Installed KDE too but the integration of it results in some minor glitches here and there, so it's typically a XFCE oriented experience.I was able to install the latest nvidia drivers and they work fine.Albeit installing the canon printer drivers results in a list of unmet dependencies from here to moscow, so I leave it as is for now and maybe I do a complete clean reinstall without KDE.After all it was a pleasant surprise not in the last place to see vector linux installing OK.But I haven't encountered a distro yet which beats fedora core on this machine, not on the previous machine either.