Suggestions for a News feed to replace ComputerWorld.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

So I discussed it with Scott and he suggested that since these are simply generated via an rss feed, we could choose another news provider. He suggested Cnet and I thought Wired would be another good Tech news feed. Personally I use a lot of different ones but I was thinking that we could take some suggestions and then conduct a poll to see which one will replace Computerworld feed.

Feel free to post suggestions, just make sure that they are tech related and not specific to a certain type of technology.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#2 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:32 PM

Wired is a good idea, also maybe ArsTechnica?
Registered Linux User 344759

#3 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:54 PM

I don't really follow any news feeds, just check out articles which other people post, so I'm easy.
registered Linux user number 324659  || The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageKXStudio
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

As you can see, I follow lots of them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,251 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:41 AM

I think the best thing to do is just remove the CW sub-section of the board and don't bother with live feeds at all. The bot running up the post count always irked me anyway. We could post a pinned topic somewhere with links to tech news feeds instead. Or not. Heck, it took us months to realize the CW feed wasn't feeding. Obviously, it didn't get looked at too often, anyway. Let it die.

Those are my thoughts.

#6 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

Well I kind of agree. I couldn't tell you a time that I actually read any of them. I will just give it some time and let everyone weigh in their opinion.

#7 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:26 PM

#1: What did I miss? Why is this issue coming up?
#2: good Lord, not Wired. If you are going to have a news feed have it from a tech news source, not a culture one.
#3: there are plenty of places to go for news and/or news feeds, board doesn't need one. I am grateful to ComputerWorld for enabling this site so I have no complaints or issues with keeping them.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#8 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

View Postcrp, on 02 December 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

#1: What did I miss? Why is this issue coming up?
#2: good Lord, not Wired. If you are going to have a news feed have it from a tech news source, not a culture one.
#3: there are plenty of places to go for news and/or news feeds, board doesn't need one. I am grateful to ComputerWorld for enabling this site so I have no complaints or issues with keeping them.

#1 read the comments starting here: http://forums.scotsn...150#entry454396
#2 They have some good articles but I know what you mean.
#3 I agree as well

#9 OFFLINE   Pete!

Pete!

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

I pretty much ignored it.
Didn't mention it out of respect for Scot's (former) position with them, but I was happy when they stopped it from monopolizing the "View New Content" function.

..........there are plenty of places to go for news and/or news feeds, board doesn't need one......
I agree

Edited by Pete!, 03 December 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:59 AM

View PostPete!, on 03 December 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

I pretty much ignored it.
Didn't mention it out of respect for Scot's (former) position with them, but I was happy when they stopped it from monopolizing the "View New Content" function.

..........there are plenty of places to go for news and/or news feeds, board doesn't need one......
I agree
Tech news aggregators have greatly diminished, and i really don't understand why. The 2 I use the most (aside from the Daily Tech News Daily news brief on my Amazon Echo) are
https://www.techmeme.com/   which is "hard core" and has an rss feed https://www.techmeme.com/feed.xml
and
https://tech-news.co...s/tech-news   which has a bit broader scope.and an rss feed but the rss feed also includes marketing and other topics.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#11 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,160 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:15 AM

So Scot is going to remove the SubForum when he gets a chance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users