• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 01:04 PM

YES,  . . now everybody can install D Small Linux on a USB Pendrive and boot from it ( if your BIOS allows it ) . . . it is simple as 1 2 3 . . . really !!Okay here is what you do, you get the latest D Samll Linux ( see: http://forums.scotsn...showtopic=12833 ) and:1). Boot from the DSL CD2). When boot is complete, plug in the USB pendrive.3). Rightclick on the desktop to get the Menu --> Apps --> Tools --> Install to USB Pendrive --> USB-HDD Pendrive4). Type "sda"5). Type "i"6). Type "L"7). At the bootoptions type "toram" ( is faster )8). Press "Enter"9). Type "Y"10). Type "Y"11). Wait a minute ( or 2 )12). Press "Enter"13). DONE !! B) :) . . . That is all ;)Now reboot, remove the CD, set the bios to boot from USB-HDD . . and at the bootprompt type ( again ) "dsl toram" ( because you want it to run from RAM )HAVE FUN !!B) BrunoPS: The only buglet I encountered is that choosing "reboot" from the menu makes it hang during shutdown . . . a simple "sudo reboot" typed in the terminal works flawlessly though !!

#2 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

How big a stick is recommended?B)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:05 PM

64 MB will do fine B) . . . no need to format . . . or prepare in any way . . all is done automatically ;):) Bruno

#4 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:06 PM

Does it take the whole drive?

#5 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:07 PM

Nope . . just about 48 MB . . you have the rest as storage B) :DB) Bruno

#6 OFFLINE   burninbush

burninbush

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:48 PM

Bruno, on Aug 4 2005, 01:07 PM, said:

Nope . . just about 48 MB . . you have the rest as storage B) :DB) Bruno

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

+++++++++++++++++++Just a couple add-ons to this ... I have the 1.3 rev installed to a couple pen drives here, one @ 128mb, the other @256mb.  Fry's [a local electronics superstore, www.outpost.com] has the latter, a Kingston part, for $15. On the first, DSL made one large part, and now more than half of it is free; on the 256mb disk it politely created an sda1 of 50mb, and made an sda2 of the rest.  Worth mentioning that DSL has 2 different routines in the menus to do this sort of install, the difference being in what sort of device the usb part is made to look like to your bios; it has the usb-hdd that Bruno mentions up the thread, and also a usb-zip.  Worth trying both if you find it won't boot after the copy operation.  I have two mobos here that purport to boot from usb; one [AMI bios] has 6 possible usb devices you can select, and they all work differently.  The other, newer mobo has only the one usb boot choice, and luckily one of the DSL choices will work with it.  Neither of the DSL choices will boot on the AMI machine.  So far I have only gotten the usbsticks to be recognized on it [at bootup] as a usb-diskette, and that imposes some severe speed restrictions -- the normally quick usb device runs at diskette speed.   USB booting is still largely unexplored territory.

#7 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 04:54 PM

burninbush, on Aug 4 2005, 09:48 PM, said:

Neither of the DSL choices will boot on the AMI machine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a via chipset and a sis chipset mobo, both with AMI BIOS . . . neither of them has a problem booting the USB-DSmall I made . . . :)B) Bruno

#8 OFFLINE   ross549

ross549

I live here.

• Forum MVP
  • 9,185 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:04 PM

Yeah... boot from USB is a feature that some companies leave out, and that others enable. B)

#9 OFFLINE   burninbush

burninbush

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,278 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 06:10 PM

Bruno, on Aug 4 2005, 02:54 PM, said:

I have a via chipset and a sis chipset mobo, both with AMI BIOS . . . neither of them has a problem booting the USB-DSmall I made . . . :)B) Bruno

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

++++++++++++++++++OK -- but I'll match that with two mobos of mine with AMI bioses -- an MSI6547 [p4] and an ECS k7s5 [Athlon] -- and both of them are very reluctant to boot from usb anything.  I generally prefer AMI to Award or Phoenix -- but that's not something you have a choice about, usually, other than to return a mobo and pick another.  There may also be differences in the usbsticks themselves -- don't know enough to be able to probe that.  Which type [in DSL] did you choose?  And what did you tell your AMI bios you were booting from?  I see 6x2=12 combinations here -- perhaps one I haven't tried yet may work for me.  I've had similar problems with external usb drive cases -- some work fine, others don't. To be clear, I'm talking about the ability to boot from them -- all seem to be visible from win2k and various linux distros booted in the usual way.

Edited by burninbush, 04 August 2005 - 06:12 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   linuxdude32

linuxdude32

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 01:54 AM

burninbush, on Aug 4 2005, 07:10 PM, said:

There may also be differences in the usbsticks themselves -- don't know enough to be able to probe that. 
I've heard that some sticks are hard to boot from. Not sure why, it may have to do with how the disk internally sees the boot record. My BIOS (the one I flashed) purports to boot from USB but haven't gotten it to work yet. However, I've only made one attempt with one distro. Well definitely have to try with DSL, thanks, Bruno.
Jason Wallwork

#11 OFFLINE   linuxdude32

linuxdude32

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:29 AM

This is awesome. Posting from DSL after installing  and booting from my Sandisk Cruzer Mini 256 MB. Tried using Dillo to post but it kept insisting I had to login even after I had already. :D Bruno, do you actually need to enter "dsl toram" again after you choose it as a boot option during the flash drive install? That seems kind of redundant.Btw, choosing reboot worked fine for me.Only thing now is to fix my X settings because the refresh rate is too low, it looks like the screen is sparkling. :lol:

Edited by linuxdude32, 06 August 2005 - 01:31 AM.

Jason Wallwork

#12 OFFLINE   Bruno

Bruno

Le Professeur Pingouin

• Admin Emeritus
  • 37,904 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 03:45 AM

linuxdude32, on Aug 6 2005, 07:29 AM, said:

Bruno, do you actually need to enter "dsl toram" again after you choose it as a boot option during the flash drive install? That seems kind of redundant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep Jason . . the funny thing is that if you don't it does not get loaded to RAM ( so maybe the first time during the install to USB-flashdrive does not "take" ? ):D Bruno

#13 OFFLINE   linuxdude32

linuxdude32

Board Bigwig

• Members
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:22 AM

Linked to your tip from my Linux blog and gave you credit with a link to your website. Thanks, Bruno.
Jason Wallwork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users