PCLinuxOS2007 & WinXP Dual Booted

eturnalpeace

eturnalpeace

FINALLY!!! B) :) I now have PCLinuxOS2007 dual booted on my Windows XP Home SP2 computer, installed and everything. I'm so excited... Now, I've honestly been in here forever, trying to find somewhere where it might give me help on how on earth or what to do to "connect to the Internet" now?? Good grief... I get the thing installed - and can't set up the Ethernet Connection properly? And, I tried everything - it just kept telling me that it was installing packages - then error - and it couldn't install them. Grrrr... So, probably I just have something 'set wrong' - and maybe it didnt' need the packages - I don't know... Anyway - the Installation went fantastic - and it partitioned great - and everything only took about 20 minutes to do - and then my graphics even turned out properly after a reboot - and my options at boot are PCLinuxOS - PCLinuxOS Safe - and Windows!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!! And, boy is that a 'pretty blue screen' in PCLos... :yes: Now - need the Internet - and to figure out what else I need to install and 'how' to do it properly...Help,Judy :D

GREAT! :) B) :yes: Now... your connection? Is it cable or DSL? Your modem: is it plugged to ethernet or USB port in your computer? Do you use a router? When you configured your connection with Windows, did you have to log in (give user name and password) in order to connect?Lots of questions, I know... but no worries... you'll be "up and running" soon. :D

eturnalpeace
GREAT! :) B) :yes: Now... your connection? Is it cable or DSL? Your modem: is it plugged to ethernet or USB port in your computer? Do you use a router? When you configured your connection with Windows, did you have to log in (give user name and password) in order to connect?Lots of questions, I know... but no worries... you'll be "up and running" soon. :)
No problem - I'm READY!!! "Living Large On Linux"... :D Okay Cable Connection - Plugged into Ethernet (NIC) Card port in my computer - and Yes, I have a Linksys Router - and No - I do NOT have to use a name and password to connect - it is just on when I turn my computer on - because everything plugs into everything else... Thanks,Judy

HURRRRRAAAYYYYY !!!PCLos is great . . . :D . . . . . I am sure you will have a great time exploring the virtues of it.For the connection: I have the exact same questions as Urmas . . . . ( and am surprised you are not connected "automatically" after the install ):yes: Bruno :) CROSSPOSTED <<<<<< sorry B)

You have a router? Great! Now... you'll have to wait for PCLos witch doctors for this one... see, (I believe... could well be I'm mistaken... happens a lot :) ) the current version of PCLos needs a whack onto its head after being installed... wait for instructions. B)

Edited by Urmas

Hi Judy,Welcome to our forum and many congrats with what you've achieved so far.Whenever I get a problem with an internet connection I always check that the firewall is turned off.To do this click on the "PC" button at the bottom left of your desktop. then choose "system", "configuration", "configure your computer" , You will need to put in your root password. Then choose "security" and click on "set up a personal firewall etc." Check the "Everything (no firewall)" Click "OK"I would then reboot your system and see whether your internet connection has been detected.Normally, PcLinuxOS detects this automatically. If not please get back to us. :)

eturnalpeace
Hi Judy,Welcome to our forum and many congrats with what you've achieved so far.Whenever I get a problem with an internet connection I always check that the firewall is turned off.To do this click on the "PC" button at the bottom left of your desktop. then choose "system", "configuration", "configure your computer" , You will need to put in your root password. Then choose "security" and click on "set up a personal firewall etc." Check the "Everything (no firewall)" Click "OK"I would then reboot your system and see whether your internet connection has been detected.Normally, PcLinuxOS detects this automatically. If not please get back to us. :yes:
Hi there,Well, thanks for the welcome and contrats. I tried (wrote down first before I left to do it) every single step you said to do - and it still doesn't work - :) Now, I'm getting upset, because I don't want to go to bed (and it's 2am here, and I'm tired too, but I got real excited when all worked so well with the install) - until I at least get a darn internet connection out of my Linux Installation... :D Okay - I wrote down what it said in PCLOS for you - so, pretty much it was as before where it wouldn't install "packages" again... I went exactly where you told me to - only there was already an icon on the Desktop in this version for the "Configure Your Computer" - I had found that during the Live CD Session earlier yesterday/today - and went to the Firewall Setup place and where you said the CHECK the EVERYTHING and hit OK - well "that IS what was CHECKED and ONLY what was checked"!!!??? So - I got confused - and decided to UNcheck it - thinking THAT was what you meant - and then all the other little boxes under it lit up that were grayed out - but anyway - I hit OK - then took me to another screen and I had to hit OK again - but said it had to install packages - but then gave me an error telling me that it "Could not install the mandi-ifw package!" whatever that means? Then - I had one more screen to hit OK on - and it gave me more packages - then another error - "Could not install the Shorewall package!" - Good Grief!!! You'd think I didn't even have a dang firewall on the thing to begin with - with the sounds of what IT was saying?? But, at any rate - I did reboot - and still no internet connection afterwards - I can always tell - because it "hangs" at "eth0" without saying OK and then says FAILED in RED in all the words before it gets to the GUI... Then - I went back and did everything in REVERSE - because maybe it WAS the RIGHT way to begin with - so I RE-checked everything that I had UNchecked... and rebooted again - and again - still no internet connection... Next idea - pleeeeeeeease??? Thanks MUCH in advance,Judy B)

Judy, relax.The "Could not install the mandi-ifw package!" error message is aiming at a Wireless internet connection, >> read on >> the "hangs" at "eth0" + failed error message is aiming - in combination with error message 1 above - at the fact it doesn't know what to do. There's probably no network connection set up yet, so you'll have to do that manually.What you need to do is :1] check in PCC (PCLinuxOS Control Center) if there is already an internet connection set up. If yes, remove it.2] Reboot3] Again in PCC set up a new internet connection selecting LAN as the right one and using DHCP.When that's done it should work.If it isn't, post back please and I will be happy to install PClos (that's a nick name for PCLinuxOS) myself on my machine on a couple of spare partitions, and from there take you step-by-step to set the thing up. However, that will take a three quarters of an hour maybe, so if you want to go to sleep, better do that first. Afterwards you'll be a fresh to tackle this little problem. :)

eturnalpeace
Judy, relax.The "Could not install the mandi-ifw package!" error message is aiming at a Wireless internet connection, >> read on >> the "hangs" at "eth0" + failed error message is aiming - in combination with error message 1 above - at the fact it doesn't know what to do. There's probably no network connection set up yet, so you'll have to do that manually.What you need to do is :1] check in PCC (PCLinuxOS Control Center) if there is already an internet connection set up. If yes, remove it.2] Reboot3] Again in PCC set up a new internet connection selecting LAN as the right one and using DHCP.When that's done it should work.If it isn't, post back please and I will be happy to install PClos (that's a nick name for PCLinuxOS) myself on my machine on a couple of spare partitions, and from there take you step-by-step to set the thing up. However, that will take a three quarters of an hour maybe, so if you want to go to sleep, better do that first. Afterwards you'll be a fresh to tackle this little problem. :)
Okay - yes, I think that IT thinks I have a "Laptop" - because I keep seeing that word 'vaguely' as it logs off or on - and 'unchanged' beside it... obviously because I haven't corrected this issue yet - lol - So - okay - I will write down your information and go and do it - and then I promise to come and post back BEFORE I go to sleep EITHER WAY!!! That way in case you need to install anything or get anything ready - which is SO very kind of you to offer - man, the people here are really quite amazing - I'm luvin' these penguins already, and they aren't even connected yet - hehehehe... So - be back in a few - then good night... Thanks SO much,Judy B)

eturnalpeace
You're welcome.
Wow - I really AM tired... LOL - I tried to "reply" and I hadn't logged in yet - good grief... I gotta go to bed - it's 3:30am... Okay - sorry, but it still didn't work for me, dang it, and not because I'm tired - because I always write the stuff down for that reason before I log off and on... So - I did what you said in the Control Center - and it didn't make a difference. The only thing I'm wondering is, when you say afterwards to make it LAN - well, the only options are "ethernet" and "cable" - so - I tried both ways and rebooted after each and 'neither way worked' - so - not sure what the issue is or what it wants - but it STILL think I have a Laptop in the stuff going through in words booting up - sheeeesh... And, my Wireless connection in my Router is "Disabled" because I don't like WIFI - it bothers me and makes me nervous - especially with so many cellphones around the neighborhood and stuff these days... I read how to disable the Linksys one that I have back in the Comcast forums before Time Warner took over them over a year ago... and in Windows, it was never an issue... So - c'mon Penguins - lets get OUR show on the road too - and show those peeps!!! :thumbsup: Thanks again, and I'll be back in here "rarin and ready" tomorrow - after sleep... Judy ;)

No worry, I've got PClos set up ,updated and tweaked on the rig now.I'm going to prepare the step by step for you and post it in a couple of minutes. :thumbsup:

This is confusing . . . What shall we do ?? continue in the other thread or do you want me to move the relevant posts from the other thread to this one ??Anyway, for now I will post my remarks in the other thread so we can temporary close this one.:thumbsup: Bruno

Oops, I got confused by the second thread posted here. I would say just close it temporarily and use the other thread until the smoke is off. :hysterical:

I don't know if this will help you, but I have repeated problems connecting since I installed PCLos 2007 if I am connected thru a router (which I am).This trick from Bruno:Press alt+F2 and type:

net_applet --force

; click OK; it should bring up a little icon down by the clock that shows two computer monitors together. Now right click this icon and you will see "disconnect eth0"; so left click it and the two monitors will go dark. Now repeat the process and it will give you "connect eth0". Do that and you should be connected. I don't know why I have to do this about 1/2 the time because I am set up to start the internet connection at startup, but it will not always work with the router between the modem and the computer; if you are connected directly to the modem it works without this nonsense.BillJust thought of something else; if you remove your connection, and then "rebuild" it starting with new connection (top left of Internet stuff in Control Center), and choose Ethernet connection, DHCP, it should start at least that one time for you . . . and not with downloading anything, either.

Edited by BillD