Yahoo Mail's latest annoyance

zlim

Starting yesterday, every time I log in to YMail, I get a strip just under the tabs in FF that asks

me to add an application (a Yahoo Mail app) for "mailto" links.

Here's a thread with people having this issue too https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/994658

I changed under Applications/mailto in FF from ask me every time to gmail.

The popup strip continues to appear.

If any one figures out a way to kill this script, I'd be grateful. You only have two choices to x it closed or to add. If you x it close, it reappears the next time you check mail.

I do not want to add a Yahoo application just to have the strip go away.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

You can just use the small x in the upper right corner to get rid of it.

Might want to check the settings, you may be able to tell settings you definitely don't want to use it for mailto links on webpages.

But then you would have to do it every time you log in. That kind of thing is really annoying. I have sworn off Yahoo completely by now excerpt for mail in the iOS mail app.

In the Weather app, they would pop up all the time asking to make a review of the app in the App Store. I would say no thanks, and it would ask again in a couple days. :bang:

Adam

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yahoo is wonderful. I have no issues ever with Yahoo. I love them.

I felt this thread needed some balance. ;)

Disclaimer: I do not use Yahoo's web interface but very, very rarely, so I never see the things y'all whine about here. Stand alone email clients are wonderful things. You should try them sometime... Thunderbird. :)

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Well, I mentioned how to say no to mailto links notice, and no go...

BTW: On the new Yahoo (not the basic) email, I don't get that notice at all.

Stand alone email clients are wonderful things. You should try them sometime... Thunderbird. :)

Which is fine if you don't have a smartphone and/or tablet that you want to also have access to your mail. It gets really messy when you are dealing with a lot of archived mail.

:P

Adam

You can just use the small x in the upper right corner to get rid of it.
Yes, but every time you log in to Yahoo and need to click the x is ridiculous.

I am using the new Yahoo. I tried switching to the basic, got the notice and when I went back in to change settings, Yahoo had changed it for me so Basic was NOT selected.

I went into FF and changed the settings for mailto from "ask me every time" to gmail and it has not stopped that strip from coming up.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

The new advanced version is nice once you get used to it Norm. ;)

It's the one I am using (not basic) noted earlier and I mentioned I do not get that notice either.

Of course, I check my yahoo email only once in a while...basically do not use it.

Maybe that is why I don't use it. ;)

Fran, I use "the new advanced version" in the latest FF. But, like Liz, I don't appreciate the bar on top that offers you an "option" with no way to say no except to ignore it. "Add Yahoo as an option for mailto links?" And then your only "choice is "X" or "Add Application". They don't even explain what the "application" is or how you'd uninstall it if you didn't like it. Is this an application for your OS, your current browser, or what? This type of thing is typical for Yahoo (or "the yahoos") who continually make changes which are seldom for the better.

I just added the option, the bar went away. All it does is give you another option for mailto: links along with Google or Thunderbird or whatever. I kept Thunderbird, made sure the mailto: link wasn't asking me every time.

Edited by raymac46

I wasn't getting this particular annoyance.

The only significant difference, was that I had "mail to" set for an e-mail client (Thunderbird).

This may confirm Raymac46's last post.....

If you really hate the Yahoo interface, and don't want to use an e-mail client....

How important is timely delivery of your Yahoo mail?

As an experiment.

I set my Hotmail account to retrieve my Yahoo mail.

• 1. Sent a test message (to my Yahoo address) at 2:38 PM

2. Received at Yahoo at 2:40 PM

3. Arrived in my Hotmail inbox at 3:14 PM (not exact, Thunderbird checks Hotmail every 10 minutes)

If you have a Hotmail/Live/Outlook account that you check anyway, and an hour (or so) isn't going to bother you.....

If you love to hate Microsoft, I'm sure there are others with this capability.

Notes:

Hotmail did NOT retrieve anything from the SPAM folder.

If it doesn't seem to be working check the Yahoo SPAM folder.

It did not delete the message from the Yahoo inbox.

You may have to go to Yahoo to clean up now and then.

Edited by Pete!

Guest LilBambi

Ah, you know that could be it, I have PostBox (done by the original developers of Thunderbird) as the default and is what is used on my Mac for mailto links.

I'm confused too. I had Yahoo as a choice for mailto before I saw this new strip. In fact, on one computer, it was listed twice. So why do they want me to add it again?

I had Yahoo down as well - twice. Just added it again (different icon now) deleted the other two instances, kept Thunderbird as the default.

Thanks. I just did it and then I clicked on yahoo for more info (in the mailto part of FF). That told me this was a different url than the previous ones so I guess that's why it kept asking to add it.

I'll go through this was the other computers I take to Yahoo so I don't keep getting pestered.