Can't Whip Your Llama No More

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

They'll cross it with Media Player and we'll end up with Winamp Media Player. Using the icon you posted above, MS will make a nice blocky screen icon for Win 8.1. All will be well. ;)

Guest LilBambi

1*IVFLKyPP_6hSYjKVA0rUfg.png

lol, the article states that aol is selling winamp to microsoft!

winamp was at one time free and malware free, aol changed that, and what on earth will ms do with it??

That article didn't say AOL is selling Winamp/Nullsoft products to Microsoft. It says:

UPDATE: It was also revealed that AOL also has plans to shut down the independent broadcaster network, Shoutcast. Unofficially, Microsoft is in talks with AOL to purchase Winamp as well as the Shoutcast network. [via TechCrunch]

Not really the same thing. It could happen but I am hoping they will go with Opensource option. Keeping fingers crossed. it would be much better for the music community that would lose not only Winamp but Shoutcast as well.

And we all saw what Microsoft did with Skype when they bought it...wasn't the old Skype owner's shining moment either.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, vlc for me cross-platform.

But there is a previously Linux only one available for Windows XP or later:

Audacious

audacious-3.3.png

Audacious is an open source audio player. A descendant of XMMS, Audacious plays your music how you want it, without stealing away your computer’s resources from other tasks. Drag and drop folders and individual song files, search for artists and albums in your entire music library, or create and edit your own custom playlists. Listen to CD’s or stream music from the Internet. Tweak the sound with the graphical equalizer or experiment with LADSPAeffects. Enjoy the modern GTK-themed interface or change things up with Winamp Classic skins. Use the plugins included with Audacious to fetch lyrics for your music, to set an alarm in the morning, and more.

Audacious runs on Linux, on BSD derivatives, and on Microsoft Windows. To download and install the latest version (currently 3.4.2), please see the download page.

If you have trouble installing or running Audacious, feel free to ask for help on the forums. You can also request a new feature or report a bug here, but please check the list of common problemsfirst. Also remember that the developers of Audacious are volunteers and can only spend a limited amount of time on the project. If you request a major design change or report a bug without enough information for us to reproduce it, you will probably be ignored.

We can always use more help developing and translatingAudacious. If you need help getting started, ask on the forums.

Edited by LilBambi
added the info about it.

One of the features of Winamp was low memory footprint (back when that mattered).

Playing the same song on Winamp 2.95 (skinned) and VLC Portable 2.1.1 (native skin) shows

Winamp 7,412K

VLC 42,109K

Led Zeppelin II, what a great album!

I use a bunch of music players. Amarok mostly for its great library and other features. Others for when I don't want to change Amarok playlist, DeaDBeeF (similar to Foobar2000), Clementine, QMMP, Bangarang.

Audacious looks good, I think I tried it once. Be interesting to see its Win port. I wasn't impressed with Amarok for Windows.

Foobar2000 is very light on resources in Windows.

Edit - Bangarang out. Looked nice but kept stopping playlist. :hmm:

Audacious in. Works OK so far but issues in KDE, mixer error and ugly GTK2 interface. Winamp clone interface looks good though.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. I have usually Audacious on my systems, also. Never can have too many audio players, you know. ;)

The main reason I like vlc (using Eric Hameleers' Slackbuild) is that it will play ANYTHING... from old .avi files and Real® audio to modern mp4s.

Guest LilBambi

As well as odd combos of codecs and wrappers. The only one that might do better in some cases is mplayer.

Edited by LilBambi
corrected spelling: is mplayer

V.T. Eric Layton

As well as odd combos of codecs and wrappers. The only one that might do better in some cases ism player.

Interesting. Never heard of that one.

Interesting. Never heard of that one.

Maybe Mplayer? (English translation). ;) SMplayer is a good GUI version.

Seems nobody here is particularly upset about the end to mistreatment of llamas. :)