Need to net boot a Toshiba Portege 2000

Tyler

Alright so I just got a Toshiba Portege 2000 laptop off of ebay and found that none of my external CD drives will boot from it, so I need to figure out what my options are given my current setup. I'm wanting to put XP Pro onto the laptop. I've got 2 other desktop computers available to be used to help get an OS installed on it. Currently the laptop has no OS whatsoever. Also I do have an external floppy drive that it will boot from. Any thoughts?

Edited by Tyler

Since your existing installs on the other PCs cannot be used to install a copy of Windows on another system, you'll have to get a Retail version to put on your notebook.

the bios for the portege pretty much sucks... there is almost nothing to configure... it does boot from a usb floppy drive though so i assume it is enabled... i was hoping someone knew of a way to either ghost it via a network boot disk, or to map a drive using a boot disk and install it from one of my other computers... the laptop does have a network boot option that seems like it would work correctly if i knew what the heck i was doing lol... right now when i use it, it says "No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received. Exiting Intel PXE ROM"

The network boot PXE ROM is for use with a Windows Remote Installation Service (RIS) server to install Windows operating systems over a network. Basically you would need to have a Windows 2000 Server or Windows Server 2003 machine on your network with RIS installed. You also must have an Active Directory Controller, DNS and DHCP server setup (this can all be done on one server of course.) So, this is not likely an option for you. I would download the Universal TCP/IP boot disk. This will allow you to map a network drive share and then you can use Ghost and dump or restore to/from the network share. The beauty of this boot disk is that it autodetects almost every known network card in existence. Pretty slick if you ask me! :D I've been using it at work to quickly Ghost machines that don't have access to our Ghost multicast servers.