Knoppix HD install

Bruno

This is a jump from another thread where Barry asked me about the Knoppix HD install.Once the CD booted up and you have your Knoppix on the screen, first check if your internet connection works !Second make sure you have bootdisks for all the other OS´es on your computer !Press CTRL-ALT-F1, to get a root console. ( OUT OF X ) You should see a shell promptType: knx-hdinstallFollow the menus::Creating a Linux partition (at least 2.5GBCreating a Linux Swap partition (at least 256MB)Mounting' the Linux partition as rootInitialising the swap partitionCopying all the required files (automatically)Setting up networkingSetting passwordsSetting up the bootloader Lilo or Grub, ( I prefer Lilo ) in the MBR it will include all your other OS´es automaticallyMake a bootdisk for this one too !Reboot without the CD and you will see the nice Debian screen !Once booted go to KDE Control Centre and ¨Personliche Einstellungen¨ , ¨ Land und sprache¨ and make that ENGLISH !The last bit:Press CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to the root console, and log in as root:Type apt-get update (followed by ENTER). This will update your system. ( 5 minutes )After that: ¨startx¨ to get your X back !Good luck !:) Bruno

BrunoIt works, I'm inside Knoppix on the HD on a dualboot (knoppix,WinXP Pro box) also have Mandrake 9.1 on here..but need to look at liloThanks :)

Brilliant Barry ! Good job, glad you made it !Did I see that right is Mandrake left out of Lilo ?If it is I will set up a little how to for you how to fix that !Proud of you chief !:) Bruno

I think the LILO issue was my fault..was trying to do to many things at once and just plain blew it..but Mandrake is still one there. :) Thanks for your help..your direction were easy to understand and fllow...even for and Old Navy Chief!!! :)

Listen Barry here is what we do:We will use the lilo from Mandrake ( looks nicer )First boot up Debian, and copy to a floppy disk the ¨vmlinuz¨ from /boot directory ( you have to be root ! )And on another floppy ¨ initrd.gz¨ also out of the same directory !Then boot up Mandrake from your Mandrake boot-floppy.Make a new directory in /boot and call it debian. Put the two files you copied to floppy in that directory !OR copy all files on your Debian boot-floppy in that directory !Then come back here ! I´m writing the next step in the mean time !:) Bruno

Well I'd like to but my 3 year old has just hijacked that computer for a rousing game of tuberling LOL! apparently he is better at linux apps than I :)

O.K. next step Barry:Open a console and type:su ( give your root password )cp /etc/lilo.conf /home/barry/lilo.conf.old ( make a backup of your old Lilo )vi /etc/lilo.conf ( will open the file in the vi editor )i ( will put vi in insert mode )OK here is an example of Lilo just look at the section between the dotted lines: (the dots are only there for clarity )boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapdefault="mandrake" <------------( ! I did change linux to mandrake ! )keytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz. . . . . label="mandrake" <------------( ! I did change linux to mandrake ! ). . . . . root=/dev/hda1. . . . . initrd=/boot/initrd.img. . . . . append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet". . . . . vga=788. . . . . read-only . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .image=/boot/debian/vmlinuz. . . . . label="debian". . . . . root=/dev/hdb2 <-------------( change the 2 in the partition Debian is on ). . . . . initrd=/boot/debian/initrd.gz. . . . . vga=788 <--------------- ( look at the values you have for mandrake ). . . . . read-only . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . image=/boot/slack/vmlinuz-ide-2.4.20. . . . . label="slackware". . . . . root=/dev/hdb6. . . . . read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz. . . . . label="linux-nonfb". . . . . root=/dev/hda1. . . . . initrd=/boot/initrd.img. . . . . append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off". . . . . read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz. . . . . label="failsafe". . . . . root=/dev/hda1. . . . . initrd=/boot/initrd.img. . . . . append="devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off failsafe". . . . . read-only . . . . . . . . . . . <------------ ( There YOU have your windows ! leave it there ! )other=/dev/fd0. . . . . label="floppy". . . . . unsafe After the changes SAVE the file with:EscZZ ( majuscule Z 2x )Then do:/sbin/liloThis will write Lilo to the MBR !If no errors come up all is 100%if error message comes up have a look at the file and see what you did wrong !IF ALL FAILES :cp /home/barry/lilo.conf.old /etc/lilo.conf ( will put your backup back in place )/sbin/lilo will write it to the MBRGOOG LUCK !:) Bruno