Photo

How to pick the right collaboration tools

Today, 06:01 AM

Posted by Computerworld in Computerworld News

Does the prospect of choosing a collaboration suite seem unusually daunting? That’s because for many people, it is.

“I’ve covered this space for nearly 20 years, I know all the tools, and personally, I’m overwhelmed,” said Alan Lepofsky, vice president and principal analyst at Constellation Research.

The recent proliferation of collaboration software has put many technology decision-makers and users “in a tizzy,” he explained, as mobile apps, social media, the cloud and virtual teams and workplaces continue to change how and where we collaborate — and the software we use to make that happen.

Picking the right collaboration suite or stack isn’t just challenging — it’s critically important. Nearly seven out of 10 IT professionals say collaboration is a high priority or is essential to their organization, according to a recent Spiceworks survey commissioned by videoconferencing provider Lifesize.

To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here

View the full article

2 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

There are programming standards, and then...this

Today, 06:00 AM

Flashback to 1985, when this Cobol programmer pilot fish is handed an old, large program he's never seen before -- but he already knows it's going to be trouble.

"It had been modified many times," says fish. "I was told to figure out why the most recent changes caused the program to miscalculate some figure.

"The program started off with the usual housekeeping processes, including a line that read PERFORM REPORT-HEADINGS THRU REPORT-HEADINGS-EXIT. I saw no need to verify the report headings, so I moved on into the meat of the program.

"After a few days, I realized I was totally lost in the code. The program didn't appear to be doing what I had been told the program did. I was forced to turn on tracing to try to figure out what the program was doing.

View the full article

0 Views · 0 Replies

Photo

Oracle beefs up cloud sales team with 1,000 EMEA openings

Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Oracle is the latest legacy software vendor looking to reorganise its sales teams to be more focused on cloud services, as it announces 1,000 job openings in EMEA.

Oracle is targeting "people from diverse backgrounds and profiles with between two to six years work experience", the official press release states.

This follows some positive financial results for Oracle, as it posted a 66 percent year-on-year growth in cloud revenues for Q4 2016. That figure comes in at $1.4 billion and includes PaaS, IaaS and SaaS, which has been boosted by the recent NetSuite acquisition. By comparison AWS posted revenues of $3.66 billion in its latest results back in April.

View the full article

11 Views · 0 Replies

Latest Discussions

Site Navigation

Online Users

1 members, 51 visitors and 0 anonymous users

Bing, Google, glenn4uk, Yahoo

Portal v1.1.0 by DevFuse | Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS