Network speed

ozgeek

I gave my husband's old computer -which had been a working computer on my home network- to my daughter . I have an ADSL connection to the web and this computer connected to the internet without problem.My daughter added this computer to her network hub. They connect to the internet via dial-up internet connection sharing. The computer I gave her sees the other computers on the network and they see it. However, the speed on the network of this machine is only 10 Mbps and it cannot connect to the internet. The other machines on the network run at 100Mbps. Can she increase the network speed to 100Mbps so that she can connect to the internet.?One additional point, the new computer uses a 10metre cable connection to their hub. would this affect the speed?TIA Jan

nlinecomputers

Ed is correct. You can only do 100mbs if you have such a card. I can't say for the land of OZ but in the USA you can get them as cheap as $10-$20.

I gave my husband's old computer -which had been a working computer on my home network-  to my daughter . I have an ADSL connection to the web and this computer connected to the internet without problem.My daughter added this computer to her network hub. They connect to the internet via dial-up internet connection sharing. The computer I gave her sees the other computers on the network and they see it. However, the speed on the network of this machine is only 10 Mbps and it cannot connect to the internet. The other machines on the network run at 100Mbps. Can she increase the network speed to 100Mbps so that she can connect to the internet.?One additional point, the new computer uses a 10metre cable connection to their hub. would this affect the speed?TIA Jan

Another possibility is that the 10meter cable is not Cat5. But neither of these would stop it from connecting to the Internet. What OS is it using?

Beyond the speed issue. There is probably a setting that needs to be changed to get the "New" PC to connect to the internet using ICS. Being at 10baseT card should not matter. Maybe you should re-run the network setup wizard with the correct ICS settings. Seeing the other PC's is not a valid test. What are the different OS's used in the network?

My daughter uses WindowsXP on all machines.The thing I can't understand is why the internet worked whilst on my network yet doesn't on hers.Looks like I'll have to do some more investigating.Thanks for your suggestions.Jan

Is the pc set up for dynamic IP addressing (DHCP) or static. I will assume based on the speed of the NIC that it is a Win 98 OS. If so, go to Start>Run>WinIPcfg then do a Release All followed by a Renew All.

Is the pc set up for dynamic IP addressing (DHCP) or static.  I will assume based on the speed of the NIC that it is a Win 98 OS.  If so, go to Start>Run>WinIPcfg then do a Release All followed by a Renew All.

All operating systems are WinXP. However, I will try this anyway.Jan

Really! I assumed wrong. :D For Win XP the command is slightly different. Use Start>Run>cmd /k IPconfig /all then in the command window IPconfig /release followed by IPconfig /renew. When complete it might be useful to scroll back and compare the IP addresses, before and after.

Really!  I assumed wrong.  :D For Win XP the command is slightly different.  Use Start>Run>cmd /k IPconfig /all  then in the command window IPconfig /release followed by IPconfig /renew.  When complete it might be useful to scroll back and compare the IP addresses, before and after.

Thanks, Ed, I'll give it a try.Jan

I'd try the network setup wizard again. Can't hurt.Also a new 5 port switch and a 100BaseT NIC are real cheap. If you were in the US I would offer one of my spares. Australia though would be cheaper for you to get from a local retailer.

I'd try the network setup wizard again. Can't hurt.Also a new 5 port switch and a 100BaseT NIC are real cheap. If you were in the US I would offer one of my spares. Australia though would be cheaper for you to get from a local retailer.

Thanks, for the thought, Fuzz B) NIC's and swirches are also pretty cheap here too.I'm going to see my daughter tomorrow and check all her network configurations. If all else fails I'll get some new hardware.Jan

Thanks, Everyone, problem solved. FuzzButt I think your script might have done the trick. Excellent !! :hmm: :) Jan