Dell Touchpad re-installs itself.

lewmur

Window Update in both Win 7 & 10 breaks the Touchpad is several Dell Inspiron models, including the E5510 and E6510. With a fresh install, the Touchpad works fine. But when Windows Update finishes with the latest updates, the Touchpad response is erratic to the point of being useless. Uninstalling the Dell Touchpad app in Programs and Features, fixes the problem temporarily. But Windows Update keeps re-installing it. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening? I can't figure out what KB number is causing it so that I could hide it.

Hello,

In Windows 10, if you open the Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC), scroll down to the Mouse and other pointing devices section, and open the properties for the TouchPad, is there an option on the Driver tab labeled Roll Back Driver? If so, does selecting that restore the older, working driver?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

In Windows 10, if you open the Device Manager (filename: DEVMGMT.MSC), scroll down to the Mouse and other pointing devices section, and open the properties for the TouchPad, is there an option on the Driver tab labeled Roll Back Driver? If so, does selecting that restore the older, working driver?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Believe me, I've been researching this problem for weeks. Rolling back, uninstalling and re-installing the driver from Dell's support site, installing a myriad of suggested Alp's and/or Synaptic driver, none of them work. It is not the driver, it is the Dell Touchpad control application that causes the problem. That application's working is broken by something in the latest Win 7 and Win 10 updates. The only thing that works is uninstalling the app from Programs and Features and using the default settings.

I've also spent a lot of time trying to get Dell support to come up with a solution. But apparently it isn't something they want to spend time on for products from the early Win 7 era.

Edited by lewmur
  • Like 1

The SP rollup for Win 7 3172665 (July) which is a repackage of 3161608 (June) would be my guess. I don't own a Dell notebook so I can not test my theory.

Do you install non-security updates?

I've taken to only installing security updates.

The SP rollup for Win 7 3172665 (July) which is a repackage of 3161608 (June) would be my guess. I don't own a Dell notebook so I can not test my theory.

Do you install non-security updates?

I've taken to only installing security updates.

I've upgraded the laptops to Win 10. Would that rollup cause the problem in Win 10?

Hello,

I'm not familiar with Dell computers, but have you identified exactly what is installing the Dell TouchPad control application? Is it a Dell-provided update program, or through Microsoft?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

The rollup would not be offered to a Win 10 computer.

Then that must not be the problem. I have three Dell laptops at the moment, two E6510s and one E5510 all with the same problem. I bought each of them to refurbish and did fresh installs of Win 7 and immediately upgraded to Win 10. The problem didn't appear right away but only after running for a couple of days and getting all of the updates. So I thought the problem was with Win 10 and re-installed Win 7. Again, each of the laptops worked until all of the Win 7 updates got installed. After trying a multitude of solutions, I found that uninstalling the Dell Touchpad control app from Programs and Features, made the problem go away. And that works in both Win 7 and 10. But, like I said, the app keeps re-installing itself.

Edited by lewmur

Guest LilBambi

You could try installing the generic Synaptics driver for Windows 10 for Touchpad:

http://www.synaptics.com/resources

It mentions that you could lose some OEM features, but who cares if it is being a pain ... who knows it might be worth trying and you could always uninstall it if you don't like what it does and who knows ... it might just work period. LOL

You could try installing the generic Synaptics driver for Windows 10 for Touchpad:

http://www.synaptics.com/resources

It mentions that you could lose some OEM features, but who cares if it is being a pain ... who knows it might be worth trying and you could always uninstall it if you don't like what it does and who knows ... it might just work period. LOL

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt! :shifty:

Window Update in both Win 7 & 10 breaks the Touchpad is several Dell Inspiron models, including the E5510 and E6510. With a fresh install, the Touchpad works fine. But when Windows Update finishes with the latest updates, the Touchpad response is erratic to the point of being useless. Uninstalling the Dell Touchpad app in Programs and Features, fixes the problem temporarily. But Windows Update keeps re-installing it. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening? I can't figure out what KB number is causing it so that I could hide it.

It seems Dell has finally fixed the problem. Dell Touchpad again re-installed itself on all three laptops but now the Touchpad is working OK.
  • Like 2

It seems Dell has finally fixed the problem. Dell Touchpad again re-installed itself on all three laptops but now the Touchpad is working OK.

Spoke too soon. All three laptops are back to doing the same thing. Making all three unfit for sale.

Spoke too soon. All three laptops are back to doing the same thing. Making all three unfit for sale.

When Windows 7 Update listed "Dell Touchpad" in the updates, I was able to hide it. But Windows 10 makes it almost impossible to hide individual updates. Apparently, there is a "module" for the "Windows PowerShell" app that allows you to find and hide individual updates and I was able to find the "module". But after hours of "hair pulling", and still can't figure out how to get PowerShell to install the "module".

When Windows 7 Update listed "Dell Touchpad" in the updates, I was able to hide it. But Windows 10 makes it almost impossible to hide individual updates. Apparently, there is a "module" for the "Windows PowerShell" app that allows you to find and hide individual updates and I was able to find the "module". But after hours of "hair pulling", and still can't figure out how to get PowerShell to install the "module".

I may have found a solution. From the Control Panel clicked /System/Advanced System Setting/Hardware/Device installation settings and chose "No". This should prevent Win Update from install device drivers and apps from the manufacturer. But I'm not going to claim victory this time until Win Update has gone at least a few days without reinstalling Dell Touchpad.

Hello,

It looks like this value gets reset periodically, although whether that's during build upgrades (like from v1511 to v1607) or just kernel updates (14393.xxx to 14393.yyy) I'm not certain. Also, it appears your system restore points get deleted during build upgrades as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I may have found a solution. From the Control Panel clicked /System/Advanced System Setting/Hardware/Device installation settings and chose "No". This should prevent Win Update from install device drivers and apps from the manufacturer. But I'm not going to claim victory this time until Win Update has gone at least a few days without reinstalling Dell Touchpad.

Good thing I didn't claim victory. That didn't work either. Apparently the update isn't considered a driver. But I finally found the way to block individual updates. MS has an "addon" that does the trick. It is "wushowhide.diagcab". I uninstall the Dell Touchpad from Programs and Features and reboot and immediately run the diagcab and then click "Hide". The app then shows the available updates with a checkbox to block the update.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...