#1 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:50 AM

http://ih.advfn.com/...rticle=72436319
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#2 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:43 AM

I seen that yesterday and promptly switched to uBlock Origin.

https://chrome.googl...hjbkeiagm?hl=en
https://addons.mozil.../ublock-origin/
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#3 OFFLINE   mac

mac

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:17 AM

Just made the switch myself. Thanks Josh for the link! And thanks crp for the heads-up. :thumbsup:
Mac
"Long ago, when men cursed and beat the ground with sticks,
it was called witchcraft. Today it's called golf." -- Will Rogers (1879-1935)

#4 OFFLINE   Corrine

Corrine

The Mystical Rose

• Forum Admins
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

I gave up on ABP some time ago and switched to uBlock Origin.
Posted Image

Take a walk through the "Security Garden" -- Where Everything is Coming up Roses!

Remember - A day without laughter is a day wasted.
May the wind sing to you and the sun rise in your heart.

#5 ONLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

I've been using uBlockOrigin however AdBlockPlus makes a nice browser for Android. I prefer that to Browser (name for Asus included browser), Chrome, Firefox and Palemoon. I hope they don't start putting ads on the browser. <sigh>
Liz
Registered Linux User # 401459
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:22 PM

I am not anti-ad in total and liked the option of allowing non-obtrusive ads. but setting up their own ad network (irony!) is going too far.
AdLatititude that PaleMoon uses is pretty good.
btw: i also use ad blockers to block non-ads that i don't want to see.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. ~C. S. Lewis

#7 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

I use NoScript and also ABP. I'm going to have to look at uBlockOrigin. Thanks for the heads-up everyone.

Edited by ebrke, 15 September 2016 - 06:19 PM.

Registered Linux User 344759

#8 OFFLINE   Pete!

Pete!

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

Does this override unchecking "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" in the Filter Preferences ?
If that still works, I don't care if some clueless advertisers are paying.

Edited by Pete!, 15 September 2016 - 06:46 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

View PostPete!, on 15 September 2016 - 06:46 PM, said:

Does this override unchecking "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" in the Filter Preferences ?
If that still works, I don't care if some clueless advertisers are paying.

Can you trust an adblocking company that decides to invest in ads?

Eyeo GmbH, the company behind the popular online ad blocking software Adblock Plus, said on Tuesday it is launching an online advertising service to help marketers place "acceptable" ads before users with ad blocking technology turned on.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#10 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,195 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

What's all the fuss? Just turn the Acceptable Ads off, as Pete mentions above.

https://adblockplus..../acceptable-ads

I've had that off forever. I don't see ANY ads anywhere with Adblock+.

Josh said, "Can you trust an adblocking company that decides to invest in ads?"

Why not? Adblock has been offering this excellent piece of software for years and never got a dime from most of us. What's wrong with them trying to earn a bit of income to pay their running expenses and maybe putting a few dollars in the pockets of the owners/devs who made and gave us this very useful free app?

I'm not going to panic and dump ABP for other options until I start seeing ads.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton, 15 September 2016 - 08:02 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:45 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 15 September 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

What's all the fuss? Just turn the Acceptable Ads off, as Pete mentions above.[...]

Perhaps. https://contently.co...tform-backlash/
They may have released a poorly worded statement the other day.

#12 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 06:24 AM

View Postcrp, on 15 September 2016 - 11:45 PM, said:

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 15 September 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

What's all the fuss? Just turn the Acceptable Ads off, as Pete mentions above.[...]

Perhaps. https://contently.co...tform-backlash/
They may have released a poorly worded statement the other day.

Yup :thumbsdown:

#13 OFFLINE   crp

crp

Discussion Deity

• Members
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 05:17 PM

semi related - https://www.technolo...locking-policy/

#14 OFFLINE   LilBambi

LilBambi

Australisches Googler

• Forum Admins
  • 22,513 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

I actually have both ABP and uBlock Origin installed. I have mostly made the switch now to uBlock Origin as well.

After today, I have uninstalled ABP and chose not liking the ad program as the reason.
Bambi
AKA Fran

Posted Image
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog :: Fran's Computer Services Blog :: MyPassionIsBooks Blog :: 5BuckReview :: CNIRadio
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

#15 ONLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

I have both installed. I find it easier at time when I want to block something specific, if I can't do it in one, I disable that addon, enable the other, and can then block what I want. I've had no problem having both installed and disabling one of them and using the other. My main one has been uBlockOrigin for awhile because my home page loads a lot slower with ABP then uBO
Liz
Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   Pete!

Pete!

Message Mogul

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

Does uBlock Origin block the "block resistant" Facebook ads as well as ABP?

The local forum where people in my town discussed local issues has nearly been abandoned in favor of Facebook "groups".
Although it goes against my concept of online privacy, I was forced to open a Facebook account, (with minimal personal information).

#17 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,195 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

View PostPete!, on 20 September 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

...I was forced to open a Facebook account, (with minimal personal information).

A path I shall never trod. :angry2: I have my principles.

#18 OFFLINE   ebrke

ebrke

Board Bigwig

• Forum MVP
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

The local forum where people in my town discussed local issues has nearly been abandoned in favor of Facebook "groups".
Although it goes against my concept of online privacy, I was forced to open a Facebook account, (with minimal personal information).
It's getting harder and harder to stay off. My town has a website, but more and more info is going to Facebook. I look at it with my mother's account--I'm still holding out.
Registered Linux User 344759

#19 ONLINE   zlim

zlim

It's me, plodr

• Forum MVP
  • 7,017 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:18 AM

Pete, I'm not sure. I had ABP first and added additional lists https://www.fanboy.co.nz/
I don't see twitter and facebook icons.
Liz
Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 20 September 2016 - 01:24 PM, said:

...I was forced to open a Facebook account, (with minimal personal information).

A path I shall never trod. :angry2: I have my principles.

Same here, although I do have a fake account in case I need access.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users