Back Visiting Lillian

raymac46

I know, I know.., you are all out there waiting for the latest Lillian update.

I was just over there because (once again) it was time for the annual license rodeo with Norton Security - her favorite app. She has to go buy a new copy every year at Staples because her husband won't let her do anything online.

The problem with this is that Norton is just not designed for this type of renewal. When you follow the instructions in the box it makes you download and install everything all over again and then update because you installed an obsolete set of virus signatures. It also confuses the computer and I had to restart about 6 times to get Norton to kill Windows Defender and actually do its job. What an ugly piece of software. Hint: there are better security options out there.

At least I didn't have to reinstall Norton Utilities (another Lillian favorite.) I convinced her that she already had the latest version and trying to install from a CD just because you have it isn't always the best idea. Also I believe that Norton Utilities has a perpetual license so you don't have to renew annually. There was no place to authenticate a new license in the Dashboard view that I could see.

Letting Lillian play around with Norton Utilities is like taking a box of matches away from a kid and handing him a blowtorch instead.

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Norton = OS cancer

:(

You should talk her in to ESET. Tell her you know a big muckity-muck (Aryeh Goretsky) from the company. ;)

ESET is hard to find in bricks and mortar stores around here. Remember she can't buy anything online. Besides she is convinced that Norton Security is the best AV you can get. Who am I to disillusion her? :ShrugSmileySnagGB:

Edited by raymac46

She has to go buy a new copy every year at Staples because her husband won't let her do anything online.
Smart move on his part!

Forget trying to suggest a better program to her. The woman shouldn't even have a computer!

Too bad you can't talk her into a chromebook. She wouldn't need Norton because not much is stored on the device.

She does have an iPad. But she gets scareware on it all the time that tells her that her "Windows" machine has a virus and she needs to call a toll-free number for assistance. Even a Chromebook wouldn't help her out there.