LXLE has a new Beta out

mhbell

LXLE put up a new beta of their 1604.1 it is 1604.2 beta. Big improvement and fixed many problems including the Grub UEFI / Bios Problem of grub not installing to /boot/efi partition. Lxle did a great job. I installed it tonight and removed all of the games and stuff I did not want or use. It is working great right now for me. It has been one of my favorite Distro's, and now with UEFI aware I will use it more.

Mel

• Like 1

Screenshot%20from%202017-03-12%2011-29-12_zpsefuc3psk.png

I've always liked LXLE because it has great wallpapers like this mill in Vermont. It installed easily in VirtualBox and has all the Guest Additions necessary to get a great display right away. I am surprised and pleased how so many distros these days are virtual friendly. Very easy to give them a spin either installed or just as an ISO.

I put mine on the RSS Disk and am using it as I write this. I've always liked LXLE. It is getting better all of the time. I always remove a lot of the games and things that I don't want or use. I save over 100 MB of space and it is a little bit faster slimmed down.

Mel

screen_1.jpg

Edited by mhbell

I've always liked LXLE because it has great wallpapers like this mill in Vermont. It installed easily in VirtualBox and has all the Guest Additions necessary to get a great display right away. I am surprised and pleased how so many distros these days are virtual friendly. Very easy to give them a spin either installed or just as an ISO.

BTW Raymac I copied the Wallpaper folder from pictures in LXLE and put it in a folder called Backgrounds in the Documents folder of Mint and downloaded a app called Variety It is a wallpaper changer and is in the repos's. I change my wallpaper in Mint every day with a new one and also download new ones with Variety automatically.
  • Like 1

ftlauderdale_zpsdiieddfi.png

For my "production" machines I just use my own photos that I have taken over the years, like this one from Ft. Lauderdale on my Windows desktop.

For my "production" machines I just use my own photos that I have taken over the years, like this one from Ft. Lauderdale on my Windows desktop.

Great Photo BTW. Question are you using Virtual Box? If so what distro are you using it on? I am having a problem getting it to work with my LXLE. according to what I read in the doc's it will only work on certain versions for the host. I keep getting an error when I push start saying that it needs a DKMS Driver installed. It is installed. Maybe I need to run it in Windows 10 instead of linux.

Mel

I run VirtualBox on Windows 10 and also on Linux Mint 18.1 The LXLE Beta was in Linux Mint. It needed a larger hard drive than the default 8 GB but otherwise it worked fine. I usually give the full 128 MB video and 2 processors in the Virtual Machine.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

LXDE is a nice light weight DM. I used it for a while back when KDE went from 3.5 to 4 and really whizzed me off with all that bloaty-moatiness that it became. My only complaint with LXDE (which led me to XFCE, eventually) was that it required some weird third party apps to manage desktop wallpapers. I don't even remember what exactly it was back then, I just remember that you could not apply images to the desktop with the file manager, like you can in most other DEs.

Anyway, LXLE looks pretty nice.

I run VirtualBox on Windows 10 and also on Linux Mint 18.1 The LXLE Beta was in Linux Mint. It needed a larger hard drive than the default 8 GB but otherwise it worked fine. I usually give the full 128 MB video and 2 processors in the Virtual Machine.

I installed VB in Win10, but it must have installed the 32 bit host version as I could not install a 64 bit Distro on oracles VB site they don't list a 64 bit version that I could find. will have to do some more checking. It works fine in Mint 18.1

Mel

Strange. I just installed the latest VBox version for Windows hosts and I had no trouble at all running any 64 bit distro in Windows 10. Here's some more info from VirtualBox:

https://www.virtualb...tro-64bitguests

LXDE is a nice light weight DM. I used it for a while back when KDE went from 3.5 to 4 and really whizzed me off with all that bloaty-moatiness that it became. My only complaint with LXDE (which led me to XFCE, eventually) was that it required some weird third party apps to manage desktop wallpapers. I don't even remember what exactly it was back then, I just remember that you could not apply images to the desktop with the file manager, like you can in most other DEs.

Anyway, LXLE looks pretty nice.

I never tried any customization with LXLE - just used the default wallpapers.

Edited by raymac46

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, let's not confuse our apples and oranges...

Just in case others reading here don't realize this, LXDE is a desktop manager. LXLE is a GNU/Linux distribution based on Ubuntu, or more accurately Lubuntu. LXLE utilizes the DM LXDE in its distribution. I don't blame them. Anything is better than Ubuntu's default DM. ;)

My only complaint with LXDE (which led me to XFCE, eventually) was that it required some weird third party apps to manage desktop wallpapers. I don't even remember what exactly it was back then, I just remember that you could not apply images to the desktop with the file manager, like you can in most other DEs.

This is no longer the case. I have LXDE in Arch and I have different wallpapers for each workspace, set up via the desktop settings or whatever. But I'd say that Xfce 4.12 is still a bit ahead of LXDE in that area. Also, I've had better luck with Xfce setting up a vertical panel that I like; haven't quite been able to do that in LXDE, so there I stick with a horizontal panel. However, LXDE gets bonus points in my book because it brings in Openbox.

Edited by saturnian
  • Like 1

Hedon James

My only complaint with LXDE (which led me to XFCE, eventually) was that it required some weird third party apps to manage desktop wallpapers. I don't even remember what exactly it was back then, I just remember that you could not apply images to the desktop with the file manager, like you can in most other DEs.

This is no longer the case. I have LXDE in Arch and I have different wallpapers for each workspace, set up via the desktop settings or whatever. But I'd say that Xfce 4.12 is still a bit ahead of LXDE in that area. Also, I've had better luck with Xfce setting up a vertical panel that I like; haven't quite been able to do that in LXDE, so there I stick with a horizontal panel. However, LXDE gets bonus points in my book because it brings in Openbox.

I second saturnian....PCManFM manages wallpapers quite nicely in LXDE! Unless you don't want your FM managing wallpapers, in which case you modify the desktop launcher to run as "pcmanfm --no-desktop", and then use nitrogen, or any other wallpaper manager of your choice. I'll also agree that XFCE is slightly more polished than LXDE, but I still prefer LXDE due to the lighter weight nature of it. And I have to agree with the Openbox WM comment....I used to think "meh, Openbox...so what" until I learned and fully understood the benefits of exposing the WM menu with a right click (also managed from within PCManFMs preferences). And now that I've figured out how to swap OpenBox for Fluxbox and/or PekWM, LXDE just keeps getting better and better for me.

About the only thing you said that I don't agree with is the comment regarding vertical panels in XFCE vs LXDE. All of my machines are running LXDE/Lubuntu now (technically, my custom remaster "MimeticDE", but based on Lubuntu) except for one, which is running Ubuntu Studio, which uses the XFCE desktop. I configure all my boxes to have a vertical panel on the left, similar to Unity. I'm completely happy with LXDE config, but I can't quite make the XFCE config match a Unity appearance...it's more a left hand vertical "dock" than panel. Good enough for me not to worry about it too much, but also not quite what I want it to be. Not sure if it's an XFCE thing, or maybe I just need to spend more time tinkering with it?

Maybe I can help you with a vertical LXDE panel? What are you trying to accomplish with it, or how are you implementing it? What does XFCE provide for you that LXDE is lacking? Perhaps XFCE is a better choice for you....or maybe I can suggest an LXDE tweak that works for you? Maybe....

• Like 1

I may take another look at it, at some point, but I'm okay with using a horizontal panel in LXDE for now. Anyway, seems like I always come back around to Openbox and the tint2 panel. I use that a lot more than I use LXDE.