Another Install BBQ/Party

longgone

:lol: :o Well, my Linux Pak has arrived .... just in time for a weekend install or maybe even today .... let's see first a few questions before I venture into "the valley of LINUX"This install will be on my hdb which is supposed to be a 40gb unit even though in the MCC under mount points it tells me that it is 57gb (I did not know they could proliferate). Presently the only OS on hdb is Mndrk 9,0 which I would like to keep, at least for awhile. After viewing the hdb in the MCC the home partition is hugh, like 38gb or close at. I have resized the hda at one time in the past but for some reason I did not see that option available to me on the hdb. It has hdb1 as / root, hdb2, 3, and 4 are not listed, swap is listed as hdb5 and home is hdb6. I am going to to out on a limb and assume that both hdb5 and 6 are in an extended partition which should be hdb2. I want to shrink that particular partition down a lot, like to somewhere between 15-18gb total, possibly even less.Second I also have Slack 9.1 on this machine, on the hda drive, so, tell me, will I be so fortunate and lucky to have the Slack 9.1 also in my Mandrake 10 lilo or is this going to go to (I think) etc/lilo.config for some custom construction.Third how about a suggestion for another OS to install, I have several. Got Meppis, Knoppix, Gentoo, Debian, Fedora, Free BSD, Slack (again). 4 disks each for Mndrk 10.0 and for Fedora Core 2.I await your inputs, good, bad, biased and otherwise .... :) :w00t: B) B)

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• teacher

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

SonicDragon
Second I also have Slack 9.1 on this machine, on the hda drive, so, tell me, will I be so fortunate and lucky to have the Slack 9.1 also in my Mandrake 10 lilo or is this going to go to (I think) etc/lilo.config for some custom construction.
You may have to add it, but it's not hard at all. We can walk you through it.
Third how about a suggestion for another OS to install, I have several. Got Meppis, Knoppix, Gentoo, Debian, Fedora, Free BSD, Slack (again). 4 disks each for Mndrk 10.0 and for Fedora Core 2.
Since you like Mandrake 9.0, i would say go for a 10.0 install.----One more point. I don't think you will be able to resize your linux partitions without loosing the stuff that's on them.. unless you plan on using a program like Partition Magic. Edited by SonicDragon

Hi DaleIf you resize hdb6 ( /home ) you will most certainly run into trouble booting Drake 9.0 . . . or you will have to write the full /home to CD . . . . then after the resize log in as "root" . . . and put the files from CD back into the new /home partition ( also the .hidden files )Like Sonic said: lilo is a breeze . . no problems to use the Drake 10.0 Lilo ( coolest graphical lilo around ) to hold all you other distro's . . . but make boot-floppies or CDs of every distro you install and every time install the lilo in the MBR . . then every time overwrite iot with the Drake 10.0 again . . . this procedure makes sure that when we add the other distro's to lilo, it will have made all the files to boot from lilo. ( No Grub ! )Use the Partition tool that comes with the Drake 10 installer to do the resizing/partitioning. Take at least 6 -7 GB for each distroB) BrunoPS: BBQ ? Where are the drumsticks . . and the salsa sauce . . . . . hand me that sixpack will you ?

:lol: ;) Bruno/SonicDragon,,,,,Fudge .... darn .... well ... I guess I will wipe out Mndrk 9.0, since I have the boxed version of it I can always reinstall it at a later time. That being the case I guess I shall start with Mndrk 10.0 on hdb ..... hdb1 / root .... hdb2 an extended partion. Be back sometime later if not in Mndrk 10.0 then in XP on the "A" drive.

:lol: ;) Welllll,,,,, I am posting from Mndrk 9.0 (surprise), I have come to the conclusion that my "B" machine is a female, without a doubt. It did not like Mndrke 9.1 (would not install using GUI), did not like 9.2 either, would not even accept it, and now it does not like 10.0 either. The "A" machine likes everything, therefore, Mndrke 10.0 will just have to wait for a little bit.Sheeesshh ... this machine is just way to picky

:lol: ;) As an add on to my last post,,,, I have also lost my access to XP. It is in the boot menu but when I select it I do not get to XP. It goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor upper left corner and the letters NT and stops there ... what/where is the cause of this at.

:lol:  ;) Welllll,,,,, I am posting from Mndrk 9.0 (surprise), I have come to the conclusion that my "B" machine is a female, without a doubt.
I am wondering if I should take offense at this??? It does not like newer Drake? Thus it is female? That makes no sense to me.... :DJulia :D

;) :D Teacher,,,,No, you should not take offense, not at all, that is meant to convey that it has to be just so or the machine will not take it. I have no idea why it is that way, but since it is, I shall have to go along with it for now at least.Wellll,,, I hope it is going to hdb, at first I partitioned it manually but got several (4 or 5)errors during the install of disk1. Rebooted and tried to install it without making any type of change to the default picks (figured I could make changes later)but that did not work either.From the get go this was a problem, my DVD rom is the master for the IDE drives and it would not read the "install program" from the disk, but the CDRW would ( :lol:), so after several attempts I went back to 9.0 which I knew would install.Buttttt..... as mentioned in my last post, no I can't get into XP. I did check the MCC mount points and XP is still on hda and with that I have to assume that it is there. Just can't get to it.

It is still on hda.....Do I assume that it is hda1?Have you checked your lilo? Are you using Lilo? The Windows section of mine reads like this:

other=/dev/hda4        label="windows"        table=/dev/hda

Does yours look that way? If so, try putting your Windows CD in and doing a repair. It could be something small. Before you begin, do you have a boot disk made? If not, you might want to do that first.Julia :lol:

Teacher ,,The only difference between yours and mine is that yours says windows and mine says NT other than that they are identical and I hope I am using LILO ... that is what I checked.

In that case I would go with trying the Windows repair option... I don't know that editing lilo to read XP or Windows instead of NT would make any difference because basically, as I understand it, it is simply taking it to that partition where the XP autoboot file takes over.Julia :)

Teacher,,, :) :hmm: Well, how is that accomplished since I have never had this problem before I am somewhat in the dark as the saying goes.

It is really quite simple. Put your XP disk in the CD drive and reboot. It will then ask you if you want to repair or reinstall. Just follow the menus!Julia :)

Teacher,,Okay, sounds easy enough, just a few questions though. Will this wipe out the present install, will I have to reactivate it again or basically will I still have everything I had prior to this ahmmmm ... error showed up ???

STOP . . . Dale before you reinstall XP post me

# fdisk /dev/hda

Then press p and to close fdisk press qI want to see if your XP partition is still bootable ( if not making it bootable would do the trick ):) Bruno

Bruno,,,Here is what it says, hope this helps/makes it easy...[root@localhost dale]# fdisk /dev/hdaThe number of cylinders for this disk is set to 193821.There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,and could in certain setups cause problems with:1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)Command (m for help): pDisk /dev/hda: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 193821 cylindersUnits = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System/dev/hda1 * 1 71114 35840983+ 7 HPFS/NTFSCommand (m for help): q

Hi DaleWell, if hda1 is where your XP lives . . the partition is bootable ( see the * after /dev/hda1 ) . . are there no other partitions on hda ??B) Bruno

Bruno,,,Nothing at this moment, right now XP is the sole occupant there. It did, at one time have Slack 9.1 on there and something else that I have no idea what it was. It was an ext3 setup though, along with the Slack which had two partitions, root and home since the swap was on the hdb where Mndrake 9.0 is. This other whatever it was also had a swap (hda5 it said) and two other partitions both which were ext3. Where this came from I have no idea, but I deleted everthing off of the hda except the XP through the MCC in the mount points icon.

Hi DaleIn that case you will have to restore the MBR to Windows . . . I am looking for the link but can not find it at the moment . . I think it was something like "fdisk MBR" . . . . let me search a little longer though . . :) Bruno

Dale . . this comes from the James M Fisher thread:

boot from the XP CD and run 'fixmbr'
:) Bruno

Bruno,,,,Since this is taking me into very unfamiliar water here, I am going to take it that when you say boot from the CD that this is the same as if I were going to make a fresh install of XP to a hard drive. The only other thing I could think of is to open up the CD and make the change from there but I would be here in Mndrake and not windows.

Dale . . honestly I know nothing . . absolutely nothing about XP . . . I only copied a line out of James's post on how he restorerd the MBR back to XP . . . . . You do need a bootdisk for Drake though because after that you will want to restore Lilo back so you can boot and XP and Drake . . . :) Bruno

Dale this is off the top of my head haven't use XP for a while but I think you boot from Win XP CD choose recovery console and then run fixmbr.I'll doublecheck and post in a while if no one confirms / corrects by then. :)

Bruno ,,,,Well, boot disk for Mndrk (lilo) can I use the install disk to do that, if not a reinstall of Mndrake 9.0 is not that hard, goes pretty fast really. Also where did James post this info at so I can see if there might be other things involved in this too.

Hi DaleHere is the link: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...4&t=7237&st=120Also if you flip in a floppy disk and do:

su<password> dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1

You will have your present MBR on floppy . . you can always boot Drake from that . . . . . There is also a way to write it from floppy back to the MBR in case things go really wrong :)Do test the floppyB) Bruno

Bruno ,,,,Well, boot disk for Mndrk (lilo) can I use the install disk to do that, if not a reinstall of Mndrake 9.0 is not that hard, goes pretty fast really.  Also  where  did  James post this info at so I can see if there might be other things involved in this too.
Dale just confirmed :Boot from Win XP Cd ( you will get setup inspecting hdware configuration)Will come to screen to setup or repair existing install press R to enter recovery console You will be asked to choose install to repair enter number and you will get prompt for admin password followed by C:\WINDOWS> at this point type FIXMBR or HELP will give you list of options.HTH :)

Great Johann . . copied that part over and will make it into a Tip . . . because I keep losing the link to that Windows site explaining how to restore the MBR :) :DB) Bruno

B) :angry: ;) B) :w00t: Darn the bad luck ... wish I had, had that info earlier, or maybe should have come back here sooner or delayed what I did till later, but as it stands ... hind sight is 20/20 and right now I have now XP on this machine at all. I started that recovery consol or at least tried to, it needs an administrator password to use it, which, when I set up windows I did not put in since every time it boots up I have to be there to enter the password which I think is a crock. Anyhow, started to reinstall XP got to the part where it does its first restart and get the following .... error install program and that is where it stops. I tried 3 different times from the DVD rom drive and twice from the CDRW drive, I get no joy either way. The disk appears to be fine visually, I surely do not want to have to buy another copy of XP in order to install it on this machine ... :angry: :angry: but so much for the rant/rave/fuss/cuss ... I do have Mandrake 9.0 installed now on both the hda and hdb, needless to say the one on hdb is not long for this world. This particular install of Mandrake 9.0 on hda is more or less in line with Brunos guidelines, some portions are a little larger but not much. hda1 is root then it jumps to hda5 swap hda6 usr and hda7 home. Will I be correct in making the guess that hda5,6, and 7 are all extended partitions coming off of hda2 or is that bad guessing on my part ????Now, as I wait for some advice/info/assistance/help on the XP fiasco, I might as well make the best of this situation and install another OS or two. Any suggestions from the list I posted earlier, I am kind of thinking about the BSD OS ,,, is anyone familiar with them ???Oh, BTW ,,,, Happy Memorial Day all B)