Mageia 5.1

raymac46

What with all the activity with PCLOS lately I thought I'd try out a real RPM based distro so I went back to one of my old favorites - Mageia. The latest version is 5.1 although they seem to be making a lot of excuses about why they aren't releasing Mageia 6.

I downloaded and installed Mageia 5.1 in VBox as a guest in Windows 10 host.

The installer is typical Mandriva DrakLive just like PCLOS. At the end I went into the Mageia Control Center, updated and upgraded and installed Chromium. Everything worked great. I chose the GNOME version.

One thing I like is that Mageia has the Guest Additions working right out of the box so I didn't have to futz around with an ISO, a shell script and then fiddle with the display to get a full screen, You can also get a Live KDE version and if you want other desktops there is a huge ISO you can download. But GNOME does the job for me.

Honestly if I wanted to go back to an RPM distro Mageia would still be on my list of favorites. Bruno knew best.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1