$2100 for a Powerbook 17"

Neil P

A friend of mine is looking into Powerbooks, and has found a 17" model for $2100. I told him it was a good deal--is it? I haven't used any Mac's before, but I do know that they are quite expensive.Actually, while on this subject, is the Powerbook a good idea for him at all? We are graduating high school (June 2nd :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D ) and he is looking for a laptop for college. He told me that he is going to look into video editing, which I know Macs are good at too.He has only used PC's before, so one reason I thought it might not be a good idea is because he'd have to relearn the entire OS. Is OS X easy to use? Also, the only other thing I told him to look into is that his college (West Virginia University) doesn't require PC/Windows, in which case he'd be out of luck.Any other suggestions/questions I should look into before I really tell him its a good idea/bad idea?ThanksNeil (Remember--try Camino :thumbsup: )

BrianT1701

A 17in Powerbook for 2,100? Where? I'll take one. Is this a new g4 powerbook?The only thing I can really offer is if I could afford a powerbook I wouldn't be using this PC. That should convey my opinion on this topic. :P

A 17in Powerbook for 2,100?  Where?  I'll take one.  Is this a new g4 powerbook?
He didn't tell me where he found it--but he said he looked for hours and finally found that one. I of course told him to make sure the website was reputable--I even made him make sure the company had a phone number and address. He told me that the website had reviews (numbering in the hundreds--not just one or two) that said it was a good site.

SonicDragon
Also, the only other thing I told him to look into is that his college (West Virginia University) doesn't require PC/Windows, in which case he'd be out of luck.
That's a very important point. Your friend should definately find out for sure before buying anything. Also, is your friend doing video editing for fun or is he going into film making or going to be taking film making courses in college? If so, it would be a good idea to find out what those courses use too.Personally, a 17" powerbook for 2100 makes me nervous. Apple controls it's prices very strictly.... you don't usually ever see anything with much of a difference. Maybe it's used/old then? I, personally have a thing against used computers. I want mine new. :whistling:Has your friend ever used OS X? What is making him want to switch? If he hasn't tried OS X at all, i would suggest trying before buying to make sure he likes it. There are a good amount of apple stores around where you could try it out, if the local Circut City or whatever doesn't have any macs. I'm also debating whether or not to get a powerbook over the summer, so i'd love to hear how this turns out ;)