Primitive Operations Queue Executor (poqexec.exe) in Vista?

cheeaun

Hi,I found a weird autorun entry entry at HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SetupExecute with a key 'poqexec.exe \SystemRoot\WinSxS\cleanup.xml'. Its description is 'Primitive Operations Queue Executor' pointing a file in c:\windows\system32\poqexec.exe.I tried to google this, but found nothing. I really have no idea what this is. Can anyone help me shed some light?

I can tell you what it stands for "Primitive Operations Queue Executor". Try Googling that, I haven't time right now.After checking a few things out I have found that poqexec.exe causes problems for people who put their program files and user files on a different drive than the operating system. I don't know if MS has a fix for it yet.

Edited by greengeek

Windows Update occasionally has to update programs and services whichare already running. This can't happen so what it does is it storesthe update instructions in a file called "C:\Windows\WinSXS\Pending.XML" and prompts for a reboot. On reboot, a program called"C:\Windows\System32\POQExec.exe" fires up and executes theseinstructions.The "WinSXS" folder is protected so that not even an admin can modifythe files. However, if you are an admin of the machine, you can takeownership of the "Pending.XML" file and give yourself full control ofthe file. If you don't see a "Pending.XML" file, it's probablybecause the file got cleaned up when Windows Update started andnotified you that the update failed. You need to force that file tobe created again. Start Windows Update, and select one of the patchesthat keep failing and install it. When it asks you to reboot... doNOT reboot yet. Take ownership of the file and give yourself fullcontrol.
Source: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?...7961&page=2

Guest LilBambi
Windows VistaPOQEXEC.EXE Microsoft® Windows® Operating SystemFile InformationRecommended software: Description: Primitive Operations Queue ExecutorFree Downloads: Company Name: Microsoft CorporationComments: Internal Name: POQExecOriginal File Name: poqexec.exeKeywords: Windows, Vista, Operating System, WinfsPath: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\POQEXEC.EXEFile Version: 6.0.5308.17 (winmain_idx01.060217-2200)Product Version: 6.0.5308.17Private Build: Special Build: OLE Self Registration: NoCopyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Language: English (United States)Trademarks: Last Updated: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 11:36:05 PM
poqexec.exe link from fileproperties.comHope that helps.