E-mail (Firewall Broadband) issue.

MAGI

I have Starband on a five node home network. Getting ZoneAlarm 3.7.143 setup for Web browsing is no problem. But, I can't send or receive E-mail unless I kill ZA on the Gateway. Any quick suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Note: I have the free version of ZA on all the PCs. I also have one legal copy of Norton Personal Firewall that I could use on the Gateway, but I would prefer to stay with ZA unless necessary as NPF seems to require a lot on initial hand holding that I don't have time for.

Hi,Can you give us a little more description about your LAN? What are you running as the gateway, and all those little details. I suspect, that in the ZoneAlarm security setting you would have to include your local network in the trusted sites field.

**Network info.OS: All WinXPProtocol: TCP/IP with file and printer sharing enabledDomain: NoneWorkGroup: YesLAN IPs: Self-assigned 20x.125.75.81/83/87/89/91Subnet Mask: Default. (255.255.255.0)Gateway: points to one nodeDNS info: Static IPs from StarBand - 148.78.249.200/201LAN Settings for Proxy Server: Address - the Gateway. Port: 9877(I am using the same proxy server for http/https/FTP/gopher/Socks)**ZoneAlarm Settings on the Gateway.Firewall Internet Zone Security - HighFirewall Zones - (3 entries (name/entry type/zone) see below))*Starband modem/subnet adapter/Internet Zone*NIC/subnet adapter/Trusted Zone*My workgroup/IP range/Trusted ZoneAdvanced Settings Security - I was unable to browse the Internet until I checked the following:*Allow uncommon protocols at high security*Allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in Internet Zone on High Setting*Allow outgoing DNS/DHCP in Trusted Zone on High Setting (needed for a VoIP app I'm testing)Program Control - MediumAlert Events shown - Off (but I am still supposed to get Program Alerts)As per my first post, I tried to enter my Mail server IP address in the ZA Firewall Zones as a Trusted and Internet address but until I kill ZA on the GateWay I can't get mail out or in via Outlook or Netscape mail. Both apps are set to get my proxy settings.As far as "ports," I'm not sure how to enable only certain ports in ZA (free version). I only see how to add a host/site, IP Addr, IP range, and subnet.Hope, this is enough info.

Guest LilBambi

Also found this letter from Starband customer:http://www.valink.com/jeep/Starband/letter.htm

Starband stops my email from coming in if I even VISIT the WinMX site (whether I can connect with them or not and most times I can't do a search if I DO get connected), and you also shut down my email if I go to Morpheus, FileRogue, Kazaa or anywhere else like that. I can understand most of this because of the bandwidth involved so I have stopped going to those sites, but I can't understand why you can't just block those sites and leave the email program alone. I use Outlook Express, and this program will stop cold in its tracks immediately upon visiting any of those sites mentioned and will NOT allow a connection to check the mail anymore....and it stays this way for hours at a time up to 24 hours later before it actually will work again.