Tired of Yahoo Mail Problems/Changes?

Corrine

You saw it here first.....

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=69112&&do=findComment&comment=394513

Skip the first paragraph..

One of the complaints about the "metro" app for Mail that comes with Windows 8, is that it's essentially just a way of accessing your Outlook or Hotmail web mail. The ability to import accounts from other providers was fine, but they forgot about (or were too arrogant to include), providers with POP mail.

Since Yahoo uses IMAP, it works out for their customers.

Personally, I'll continue using an e-mail client that can retrieve ALL my mail.

Edited by Pete!

From the linked topic:

Hotmail did NOT retrieve anything from the SPAM folder.

Since my husband doesn't use the computer these days, he has me keep tabs on his (very) old Yahoo account. I decided to use it to test the newly-announced import to Outlook.com. Before doing the import, I logged on to his account to check it. There were two emails in the Inbox and two in the Spam folder. All four emails imported.

Just as I don't want a separate Twitter app, I prefer not to use email clients. I'd rather not be bothered opening multiple programs when I can get it all in a separate tab in the browser, but that's just my preference.

So every email was imported? legit and spam?

Since I get about 30 - 40 spams in Yahoo, I don't want those sent anywhere but to the trash. I can send them to the trash without looking at any of them.

I've changed most registration emails from Yahoo to other providers so very few legit emails get sent to Yahoo.

Well, there were only 4 emails since the last time I checked the account -- several months ago.

You can choose how you want the mail imported -- existing folders or new folders.

So every email was imported? legit and spam?

Since I get about 30 - 40 spams in Yahoo, I don't want those sent anywhere but to the trash. I can send them to the trash without looking at any of them.

I've changed most registration emails from Yahoo to other providers so very few legit emails get sent to Yahoo.

I've been getting spam, but not from the spam folder. Just the stuff that made it's way into the inbox.

This morning...

• 1. There was one legitimate email, and three spam messages in the Yahoo inbox. They all were duplicated in my Hotmail inbox.
    2. There were over 30 spams in my Yahoo Spam folder. They didn't show up in any of my Hotmail folders.

I went back and checked, there is a provision to uncheck "Leave a copy of messages on the server". I missed that last time.

You may have to do that after you set it up.

Other than Yahoo and Gmail... "other" email accounts require IMAP.

If you have an email client, it will import POP mail from that client. (defeats the purpose if you don't want to use an email program).

END of EXPERIMENT.

I'll continue to use Thunderbird for the time being.

IMHO: This is a way to avoid the Yahoo interface, but it doesn't replace an email client if you have providers without IMAP.

I can open Thunderbird with one mouse click, and let it check for mail in the background.

It takes at least two (or more) mouse clicks, plus an occasional log-in, for each email account using a browser.

Edited by Pete!

There might be some other options for people who prefer them...

I didn't realize it until today, but POP and Forwarding are now options for free Yahoo mail.

If you have a Gmail account, it can retrieve POP mail from other mail providers.

See: http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/import-your-mail-and-contacts-from.html

You'll have to activate POP in the Yahoo "Options"

You can choose whether or not to include the Spam folder, and whether or not to mark it as spam, when you activate.

OR

Activate "Forwarding" in the Yahoo "Options".

Forward it to any other email account you desire.

Pete, where are you seeing Yahoo mail "Options"? I have "Settings" but see nothing about POP in there. I see where it says "Send and receive email from other email services" but that would be Yahoo mail pulling in messages from Hotmail or Gmail. Where do you activate Yahoo POP on their free mail?

Pete, where are you seeing Yahoo mail "Options"? I have "Settings" but see nothing about POP in there. I see where it says "Send and receive email from other email services" but that would be Yahoo mail pulling in messages from Hotmail or Gmail. Where do you activate Yahoo POP on their free mail?

Note - I did NOT "Switch to the latest Yahoo Mail" so YMMV...

Starting at the inbox....Near the upper right of the page, there's a drop-down menu next to my name.

• Click on it..... Select "Options" and click on "Go".

On the next page on the left there's a list of Options. Under "Advsanced Options" click on "POP & Forwarding".

That takes me to the page where I can enable one or the other, with some options for each.

After you make your selection scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Save"

Edited by Pete!

Both plodr/zlim and I were forcibly switched to the latest Yahoo mail, so those options are gone. We have a choice of "full featured" or "basic". There are only "Settings" but no "Options", so I guess were out of luck. Maybe they would have left us alone if we'd been on dialup. Thanks.

Both plodr/zlim and I were forcibly switched to the latest Yahoo mail, so those options are gone. We have a choice of "full featured" or "basic". There are only "Settings" but no "Options", so I guess were out of luck. Maybe they would have left us alone if we'd been on dialup. Thanks.

I was forced off "Classic" too.

I suspect I'm using "Basic"

Not sure if this will work if you're on enhanced, but, from my browser's address pane...

Options - https://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/b/options

POP & Forwarding - https://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/b/options?fid=Inbox&motype=pop&.rand

• Like 1

Pretty nifty, Pete. Your links took me right to those Basic 'Options'. I changed and saved the POP setting. When I opened Yahoo mail normally, I was back in "Full Featured". :thumbs: I'll have to test it in Gmail.

I just switched to Yahoo Basic, checked another computer and it is Basic on there now too. Click the gear, and select settings. Sorry I can't tell you what to do next unless I switch back.

One of the screen will have at the bottom Full featured and Basic. Select Basic and click Save before you exit out of that.

The inbox will refresh and you will be in Basic mode with a blue link towards the top right to Switch to the newest Yahoo mail.

Yes, that's why I switched to full-featured. But since I'm reaching the limit on things I can block, I can't see me adding many more.

If I find I want to add the last 20 or so blocks, I'll go to full-featured add my blocks then go back to basic.

I get the same amount of spam if I have 200 blocks or 500 blocks!

I was removing items that I thought were old and then adding more but it hasn't decreased the amount of spam I get.

With GMail, I can receive as many as 20 spam mails/day. With Yahoo, it is 2-3/day. However, in my primary Outlook.com account, a couple of weeks can pass before getting even one spam email. A nice Outlook.com feature is to use the "Delete all and block future email" option under Sweep.

I get 1 spam in 6 months at gmail! I do appreciate the blocking that they do.

yes I know I'm going :offtopic: but I don't appreciate the blocking they do. They only use a hammer and don't allow for users to have the blocking adapt to their needs. We get dozens of rejected emails from the gmail accounts of our customers who are requesting the emails and we are too small to get whitelisted.