RPM install's

hodgy

Hi I have attempted to install Yanc -0.2.0 rpm. Being from windows land i double clicked the rpm icon and everything seemed to be going ok.When the install had finished yanc was nowhere to be found.I eventually found it in /usr/local/yanc/yanc-0.2.0 and when i double clicked the yanc iconin this folder i only got a box appear saying:The XFree log file could not be opened. Either it could not be found or you have to adjust the read permissionsHelp pleaseHodgy

What happens if you just type in <yanc> at the console prompt? If I recall, that's all I had to do to fire it up... been awhile though.

Ahh... Now that I think about it, I don't think I used the rpm to install it... used the tarball and had no problems...

HodgyThe file is also available at the PLF in urpmi, if your troubles persist: uninstall the version you have now, there may be dependencies problems with it, so un-install that one first and get the PLF sources set up and install it with URPMI, that way you are sure that the additional files you need are there too.:blink: Bruno

HodgyOn their site it says there where problems with PCI support in the verion you have got ! ( 0.2.0 ) You need the 0.2.1 ( only tarball ) or the update/patch packet for the 0.2.0 !!:blink: BrunoUPDATE: the PLF has the 0.2.1-1

Hi BrunoI did download from sourceforge, When the programme is installing it would appear that it should generate a XF86Config file,or i should have during the install.Can you tell me how to remove what i currantly installed?or possibly, How i can make a log file.In your "Tips for Linux starters" the RPM install, Do you have to cd to the directory the rpm is in before typingthe command shown on the tips page?Thanks Hodgy

Hi BrunoI have the plf uprmi in mcc will check to see if yanc is listed.If it is how do i uninstall the copy i currantly have?Thanks Hodgy

HodgySure you have to ¨cd¨ to the directory where the rpm is firstrpm -e <name-of-package> will do the trick then.Best is getting the PLF file !:blink: Bruno* you have a XF86Config file already, just should probably be repaced by another one . .

HodgyThat´s the best way to do it . . . . always first check the PLF . . . . take the safe and easy way !:blink: Bruno

HodgyAfter install yanc should be ¨in your path¨ what means typing ¨yanc¨ as su in a console should bring up the program.I would advice you to read:/usr/share/doc/yanc-0.2.1/README.ENHope this helps.:blink: Bruno

BrunoI cant seem to uninstall the existing prog.keep gettingbash: syntax error in near unexpected token `newline'What does this mean?Thanks Hodgy

HodgyDunno what that means, . . .that it does not uninstall means something went wrong in the install first !Are you sure you are root and in the right directory ??Perhaps try the MCC to uninstall, sometimes that works even if it is not installed that way . . . . otherwise ( last resort ):rpm -e <package> --forceB) Bruno

BrunoUninstalled in MCC.Installed urpmi from plf.Opened console typed yancGot the same error messageThe XFree log file could not be opened. Either it could not be found or you have to adjust the read permissions. B) I will have to continue this tomorrow evening, Bedtime knowThanks for your help B) :D :DHodgy

HodgyTomorrow, good and rested, have a look in /var/log if there is any XFree86.0.log . . . . Are you sure that with the install of the nvidia drivers all went well ?? I can remember you saying you skipped the ¨Licence agreement¨ or something like that . . ??B) Bruno

HodgyJust to get things in the right perspective: yanc does not make a XFree.log nor an XFConfig file, they both are made in combination with the nvidia drivers. In /var/log there should be a XFree.0.log and a XFree.0.log.old. In your /etc/X11 there should be an XFConfig an XFConfig.old an XFConfig-4 and an XFConfig-4.old.Hope this puts you on the right track.B) Bruno