More connectivity issues

Neil P

I don't know if anyone remembers my issues from last year, where I couldn't get on the internet (the reason I had to switch to Fedora in the first place).Well, now I'm in Mepis, and I've got new issues.The package to install the AEGIS client is an rpm. So, I went to install it, and it told me to run 'alien' to install an rpm in Debian. Okay, no big deal, I ran that and it gave me a .deb to use. So, after installing that, I was able to get to the client (installed under /usr/local/aegisc/bin/AEGISclient). After an issue with setting JAVA_HOME (quick hit: how can I get JAVA_HOME to always be set, instead of exporting it each time I try to run it? I'm sure it's a file somewhere, but I can't remember where B) ), I was able to run the client.Then the real problem started. It comes with its own module, svc8021x, that apparently was not installed. Now, at this point, I should have just rebooted into Windows here and asked for help, but instead I tried to work with it myself. Now, I believe I copied svc8021x into /etc/modules (possibly that's /etc/modutils, though I'm not sure :wacko: ), and I also ran update-modules several times. Obviously, I didn't go about this right.However, through some magic or luck, I was able to get the client to start, and it didn't complain about the missing service (therefore I assumed that I had installed it correctly), so I tried to authenticate. At first, I was given a network error, but after ifconfig eth0 up, I was able to authenticate to the network. Usually, at this point I'm done, and able to get online.Today, nothing. I get unknown host errors everywhere, and I can't do anything. The AEGIS Client is claiming I'm authenticated, so I'm at a loss here.Any ideas? Am I possibly missing something small? Do I need to actually install svc8021x properly? I'd like to use linux to access the network here at school, and the only way is with the client.

I tried to "modprobe svc8021x" but it didn't work. I, for whatever reason, couldn't get it to work. Do I need to have it (svc8021x) in a certain place?

Hi NeilUsually the drivers/modules go in a directory related to the kernel you are running . . so for example:"/lib/modules/2.6.11-12/kernel/drivers/net/"Once it is there you should be able to "modprobe" it and after that check if it really is loaded with "lsmod"Now I am asking myself: that svc8021x is that a file or a directory ? Because if it is a directory it might belong in "/sys/modules"Next:

quick hit: how can I get JAVA_HOME to always be set, instead of exporting it each time I try to run it?
You might try to add a line to "/etc/rc.boot" ( a file typically for Debian, the same as the /etc/rc.local in Fedora B) ) An alternative location is "~/.bash_profile", "~/.bashrc" or "/root/.bash_profile" ( depending on who has to run it ):wacko: Bruno

Okay...so now I'm thinking it's not actually a module, and I've just got my terms confused.I'm currently online in MEPIS, and this is what I did: First, I set JAVA_HOME in ~/.bashrc.After that, all I did was, as root, /usr/local/aegisc/bin/svc8021x, and then as user /usr/local/aegisc/bin/AEGISClient.Once I brought that up, I tried to authenticate. At the same time, through the OS Center, I activated eth0, and once it authenticated, I was online.So, I guess the question is, how can I get svc8021x to run at boot/everytime?

Hi NeilJust open the file "/etc/rc.boot" and add this line at the bottom of the file:

/usr/local/aegisc/bin/svc8021x

And it will run every time you boot :DB) Bruno

I'll try that in a second, Bruno :)I've got another quick question, though. My monitor is an Envision LCD, with a native resolution of 1280x1024. The previous monitor I had was a CRT, with a resolution of 1024x768. Now, I couldn't find Envision in the OS Center's Mouse and Display configuration, so I just picked "Generic LCD - LCD Panel 1280x1024", hit apply, and restarted X. However, KDE is still using 1024x768. If I right click on the Desktop and hit Configure Desktop, and then the Display tab, the largest value for "screen size" is 1024x768, and no higher. How can I get KDE to recognize that 1280x1024 is my resolution?

Hi NeilYou will have to check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file . . . . see what the DefaultDepth is and add the 1280x1024 value to the line corresponding with that Depth value . . . . example:

Section "Screen"        Identifier      "Default Screen"        Device          "Generic Video Card"        Monitor         "Samsung"        DefaultDepth    24 <<========================= !!        SubSection "Display"                Depth           1                Modes           "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth           4                Modes           "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth           8                Modes           "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth           15                Modes           "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth           16                Modes           "1280X1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth           24  <<========================= !!                Modes           "1280X1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSectionEndSection
B) Bruno

Hi NeilJust open the file "/etc/rc.boot" and add this line at the bottom of the file:
 /usr/local/aegisc/bin/svc8021x

And it will run every time you boot :DB) Bruno

Bruno, I have no /etc/rc.boot B) Adding those lines to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 worked great, thanks!

I have no /etc/rc.boot  B)

NO ?? . . And Mepis is Debian based ??? . . . . Well then we need to do another trick . . . Make a bash-script ( see http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=14&t=503&st=56 ) make it executable and place it in the /etc/init.d directory, then place a symlink in the /etc/rcS.d directory and add before the name an S ( S=start K=kill ) and a number ( for the order of starting up, see the other symlinks in that directory and you will see what I mean ) So example: /etc/rcS.d/S90Mysvc8021x is the link that points to /etc/init.d/Mysvc8021x and will be one of the last in line to start up ( hence "90" . . . if you make that "20" it will be one of the first :wacko: )Can you follow that line of thoughts or do you want me to post step by step intructions ?Note: the bash script needs only 2 lines:
#!/bin/bash /usr/local/aegisc/bin/svc8021x
( you can add the 3rd line: "#End script" but it is not really needed ):thumbsup: Bruno

LOL . . . I just finished re-writing the procedure . . . ( so I will post it anyway ):We make a little bash script:

# vi /etc/init.d/Start_svc8021x

This is the content of the script:

#!/bin/bash /usr/local/aegisc/bin/svc8021x#End script
Then save the file and make it executable:
# chmod 755 /etc/init.d/Start_svc8021x

And put it on a place where it will run whe you boot your computer:

# ln -s /etc/init.d/Start_svc8021x /etc/rcS.d/S90Start_svc8021x

:thumbsup: BrunoPS: Sure you can add more lines to the script if you want to automate the start of other items too ( for example activate eth0 ) . . . . a line with "sleep 2" will make it pause 2 sec between commands.PS2: If even " /etc/rcS.d/" is missing . . .( what would be very unusual for debian based distros, but since you miss /etc/rc.boot as well B) ). . . . . you can use " /etc/rc5.d/" which will start it in runlevel 5 :wacko: