siduction "December" released

sunrat

Named after a Collective Soul song, it's here!

We are very happy to present to you the final release of siduction 2013.2 – December. siduction is a distribution based on Debian’s unstable branch and we try to release a few new snapshots over the course of each year.....

siduction 2013.2 – December is shipped with 5 desktop environments: KDE SC, XFCE, LXDE, Razor-Qt and GNOME, all in 32- and 64-bit variants. From the included DEs this time around only LXDE fits on a CD with 700 MegaByte.

Release notes for siduction 2013.2 with systemd

• Like 1

Yes! Running it right now, the amd64/kde4 desktop. I always try the Siduction releases, but mostly they have fatal problems with my weird [?] motherboards; on this release almost everything works as I expect it should.

Except the freaking clock, which I have not been able to figure out how to set so it stays set -- it just now reverted to something that is 8 hours ahead of my time. What I want is for the kde desktop to display the same time as my hardware clock -- which seems to be mostly automatic in the other 10 distros on this machine.

And booting with old-style grub 0.97 ... I can't quite deduce what to say to it in kernel parms. But I can make it work by telling grub to use /boot/grub/grub.cfg as a config file. Anybody know what to say in 0.97? I usually would just name the kernel, tell it root=/dev/sda8, and name the initrd ... but doing that it jumps into a text screen [busybox?] shortly after I hit return, and I have no idea what went wrong. Clearly the install is OK if I use their configfile.

For the time, it usually treats the hw clock as UTC. In the previous version, you can edit the file:

/etc/adjtime

In that file change UTC to LOCAL

The new release has systemd instead of sysvinit, so I'm not sure if it's the same. I haven't tried December yet. I usually leave it on UTC and force Windows to use UTC. It's easier than changing every Linux install for just one Win install.

With GRUB, I presume you are using another distro's legacy GRUB and want to add siduction to it. siduction has GRUB 2.00-22. Sorry, I really can't remember how to use legacy GRUB. I just install siduction's GRUB to /dev/sda and do update-grub whenever I change/add other distros. It has always worked. Maybe you can install siduction GRUB to the partition and chainload.

I know I've just given you a couple of "maybe" answers. As always, siduction forums are very helpful and the devs post regularly. I know they are braced for a deluge of systemd related questions from this release. ;) :thumbsup:

Siduction "December" now installed. Boy, systemd seems to make a noticeable difference. Boots and closes like lightning.

Only issues I've had were wifi and sound. I configured wifi with network-manager after installing firmware-atheros in the live system, easy-peasy. But then after installing I couldn't get online with console login, but OK in desktop. :hmm: Out with network-manager and in with Ceni, all good now.

As for sound, several problems. I prefer to use Phonon Gstreamer backend over VLC backend as Gstreamer supports crossfading. However couldn't play mp3, which I enabled by installing gstreamer-plugins-ugly. Had sound in Amarok but not with Flash in Iceweasel. I think my Nvidia HDA HDMI sound was stealing the top card spot. A quick edit of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to make my M-Audio Audiophile 2496 the top card and all is well.

I haven't installed the Nvidia graphics driver yet as nouveau seems to be working well so far. Maybe later.

So not quite a walk in the park, but only minor issues. From here on, most tweaks will probably just be cosmetic.

I'll give it a 9.5/10 for total awesomeness and a definite improvement on the old system. But only 8/10 for out of the box instant useability, like any Debian system.

Sunrat seal of approval! :thumbsup: B)

• Like 1

I'll give it a 9.5/10 for total awesomeness and a definite improvement on the old system. But only 8/10 for out of the box instant useability, like any Debian system.

Sunrat seal of approval! :thumbsup: B)

Nice write up.

How does antiX score on your seal of approval ?

When I tried it over Christmas I could not get a wireless connection with either of two cards that both worked out of the box with XP. :whistling:

I tried antiX briefly in VBox. Looks great for a light system but I haven't used it enough to rate it. I currently use LinuxBBQ with LXDE as my light system, although the dev is taking an extended break so that may change soon.

Start a new thread about your wireless and post what cards you have as shown in lspci/lsusb. If it's like Debian you need to install firmware. I'm sure we can get it working.

• Like 1

Start a new thread about your wireless and post what cards you have as shown in lspci/lsusb. If it's like Debian you need to install firmware. I'm sure we can get it working.

Ta will do at some time. :shifty:

• 3 weeks later...

Hallelujah! That's good news, Mel.

I just did a NoX install with the new installer to build up a custom audio studio distro. Plain sailing so far. :thumbsup: B)

I had to dig into the old brain a bit to remember some of the command line fu. I accidentally formatted the swap partition which my main siduction install didn't like as it changed the UUID.

journactl -bx -p 3

found the problem straight away. I just found the new UUID with blkid , edited it in fstab and back to normal.

I'm liking systemd, and journalctl is much easier than checking log files.