integrated sound card

greenspider

greenspider

Hello. I am running windows XP professional on a compaq 5102us with integrated sound board. Inside there is a slot for 'sound blaster'. I purchased 5.1 surround sound speakers and compatible 5.1 sound card and installed both. The card will not work. I have been told I must disconnect the integrated sound board, then the system will acknowledge the new sound card. Can/will anybody tell me how I go about doing this? Thankx, James

greenspider

Thanx joy, I tried that already. I unchecked the sound in the BIOS, then rebooted. the system said it detected new hardware, then it proceeded to install the integrated board.

Some motherboards have a jumper that must be changed from enable to disable, to disable onboard sound. Have you a motherboard manual for your Computer? A must have for info of this sort.

:D I have a two year old Compaq and it has a very limited BIOS and certainly didn't come with a motherboard manual. Compaq and most other brand names don't like you fiddling with their insides.Joy

nlinecomputers

Most compaq's have a layout of the motherboard on a sticker on the inside of the chasis. And if you know the model number of the unit you often can find said info on compaq's website or better via google. I would try the things listed above. Disable in BIOS, look for a jumper, and last disabling it in the device manager.

Guest ThunderRiver

I suggest you to visist Compaq web site and find out your mobo model number. Do a search on google with that specific model number, and download the mobo manual. It should guide you through the jumper setting for audio.