Problem with sound card?

L_P

I have a Philips Acoustic Edge 5.1 sound card that I recently installed in a tower that has an ECS K7S5A motherboard. This setup has only been in operation for a couple weeks and I have had some problems with "sound" 3 times already.Two times the sound has just went berzerk while playing mp3's from the hard drive. It sounded like digitized "music" playing at a high speed. The first time, it was only the bizzare sounds. The second time it actualy had the sound over the top of the mp3 that was playing. Then it had a loud buzz. The other time it just lost the sound altogether until I rebooted.I have uninstalled the card's driver (which was the lastest release), and installed a freshly dl'ed driver (also the latest release). I have an identcal sound card installed in my Dell, and have had no problems out of it. So, I'm wondering if the problem may be the card, or the mobo, or something entirely different?

I really have no clue, L_P, but just to ask the "out of gas" questions, does this motherboard also have integrated sound? Is it possible that there's a device conflict? What OS are you running with it?I have no experience with this brand of soundcards, and that also tends to make me suspicious, although I have no specific reason to be. Just the unknown.-- Scot

Have you tried swapping cards with the one in your other computer? This would tell you whether or not your card is bad... that would be my first suggestion.

The K7S5A does have on board sound, Scot is right you have to disable the on board sound. ( they told me so in the shop when I got mine )How this is done, I don't know ( bios ? ) because I went for a nice Nvidia video card instaed.Bruno

I've found a couple sites that say that the PCI Sound card on this motherboard should run from PCI slot 4 (4th from the top)... Just one more thing to try if you haven't already :D

On a longshot, but, the MP3s you are listening to, have they been downloaded after you installed the sound card and this is the first time playing them, or had they played properly before? I'm just wondering if it's your MP3s. The RIAA has been feeding the peer-to-peer file sharing networks with bogus files.

I disabled on board when I first installed the card. I will try moving it to different slot and see if that helps. The mp3's are some that I have on my other tower's hard drive, and they play fine there. I've had some of them for years.At first I thought it may be WinAmp, since I had switched from V.3 to 2.9, but I switched back to v.3 and still got the same thing. When the "no sound" thing happened, I even tried opening the same mp3 in WMP, and still no sound. A reboot solved that though. OS is XP Pro.I also wanted to mention I'm using the same speakers (Altec Lansing 5 pc surround sound) that I use on my Dell, set up exactly the same in Philips audio properties, so I know they are fine.

Ok. I moved the card the 4th pci slot. It then wanted me to reinstall drivers, so I removed current drivers and installed driver from cd. It then found a PCI modem.. hmm.. I have no modem installed. I run on Ethernet/LAN. I canceled that out and clicked on a song to play. It rebooted and is running scan disk. back with more in few..Eww. it found a pci modem again.. wants to install hardware. I'll check device manager. Device manager shows problem with the non existant pci modem.I unistalled from device manager. I may have to move the card to a different slot.

Does your MB have an onboard Modem? if so, you may have to disable that... otherwise not sure where the modem came from... :D :D :(

Does your MB have an onboard Modem?  if so, you may have to disable that...  otherwise not sure where the modem came from...  :D  :D  :(
hmm... I think you may be right, and I zoomed right past it in Bios.Ok.. sound just quit again.. :angry:edit- I disabled onboard modem.. (duh) :D Rebooting and will check out sound again. I also ran it with the original driver this time and it still messed up. I tend to think it's the mobo (just my gut feeling), but I will try switching sound cards first.

Guest LilBambi

Might want to take a look at this link (from the google list that quint posted) above:http://www.geek.com/newsletter/nl12122001.htm

I attempted to install Windows XP on the system after assembly and itall went fine. I noticed that the sound chip was not detected, though.After trying to get the sound to work, and getting various errormessages and stop errors in XP, I decided to do a re-install.After re-installing I still had troubles, even with the sound disabledon the motherboard. After mentioning the problem in the lastnewsletter, a regular reader (RDN) steered me towards a FAQ on it atOCWorkbench:http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb...?ubb=forum;f=37(corrected forum space*)The problem apparently has to do with ECS changing a part on itsmotherboards to accommodate Athlon XP processors in some revisions ofthe motherboard. Newer (and older) K7S5As don't have the problem, andeven problem revisions of the board will not always display theproblem--but the potential is there. If you get unlucky with yourparticular board and Athlon chip, you will have a problem.The fix is simple: either kick down your bus speed to 100MHz (insteadof 133MHz) or you can solder a resistor onto the motherboard. Anotherpossibility is simply returning the board for another one of a newerrevision with the "XP" sticker on it. ECS has apparently fixed theproblem in newer revisions, and some boards are certified to work byAMD. However, ECS has not yet acknowledged the problem publicly in anymanner that I have seen.There's another ECS K7S5A FAQ being worked on at OCWorkbench with allkinds of info on the K7S5A:http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ultimatebb...?ubb=forum;f=37(corrected forum space*)So, since I throttled my memory bus down to 100MHz (*2) my computerhas been up and running for almost 12 days without a single crash orglitch. That's a fairly decent test of stability in my book.Previously, I was unable to get through a single day without a hardcrash. Now I have a motherboard that's crippled, with my 1.4GHz Athlonrunning at 1.05GHz. Of course, I could try to RMA this sucker, butthen I'll be without a working system. Or I could just get an AthlonXP, which may fix the issue. Other things I have left to try areflashing the BIOS with the newest revision and possibly trying thehardware fix, but that means soldering.http://65.66.90.193/
* Link in article was incorrect for the Motherboard discussion, this was the link I could find on the forum about this motherboard.Don't know if it will help in your situation, but worth a try maybe. Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

That's what I was hoping ... although you will note the link in the article had been moved, but I think I found the right link for it.

Hmmm..  100/133 or 100/100 for fsb?
I'd think 100/100... it's all going to run at 100 anyway, so no need to have one higher

That's what I set at. Will see how it works.--------------------------My 1.533 is now running at 1.15 .. boohoo.. :D but, if it fixes the problem and remains stable, it's ok. :D

I don't want to speak too soon, but I just played 5 songs without any loss of sound or garbled mess. L_P has fingers crossed, because she a new case on the way for this mobo and cpu, and it's a case geared toward music. It's a pre-modded rainbow, bubble light, beats to the sound of music, disco fever case. <_< Flashy and trashy. :rolleyes: Scot, I've been very impressed with the Philips Acoustic Edge 5.1 sound card. I have a somewhat mediocre set of speakers, and it makes them sound like a million bucks. I've been using the same card on my Dell for some months without any problems, and I love it.

Yep, spoke too soon. I lost the sound altogether again. Back to the drawing board. :angry:I checked Events and Device manager and nothing is amiss in either one.

If you happen to decide to try a different card I highly recommend the $100 range Audigy 2 card. Not the platinum version. Excellent sound at a reasonable price. Plus you'll get 2 games with it!

If you happen to decide to try a different card I highly recommend the $100 range Audigy 2 card. Not the platinum version. Excellent sound at a reasonable price. Plus you'll get 2 games with it!
Or, you can save some money and get an OEM version of the SoundBlaster Live! from a local computer shop.

Guest LilBambi
Yep, spoke too soon.  I lost the sound altogether again. Back to the drawing board.  :angry:I checked Events and Device manager and nothing is amiss in either one.
Grrr! darn! :rolleyes:

Before I buy a new sound card, I'm going to try switching some hardware around, and see if it will work on different tower. I won't have time for that until the weekend though. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you. :D

Stick with the Philips, it's not as if the Creative stuff is problem free. Creative's UK forum goes on forever with people singing the blues. Creative is an arrogant, rude company that does not deserve such high praise and support, seeing as their support is almost non-existant. Although I use an Audigy that works now, it was hardly a 'plug and play' install. With a little support of the other guys , hopefully a little competition will develop to shake up the Creative people a bit.