Windows 2000 SP4 Final Build is OUT!

Guest ThunderRiver

Guest ThunderRiver

The final edition is due to be released in English and German form to RTP(Release to Premier) on June the 16th. Shortly afterwards the RTW/RTM (Release to Web/Release to Manufacturing) will be released on June the 18th.In a document entitled "Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 Readiness Guide, v1.2 (28th May)" Microsoft outlines key dates for the release of SP4.Release to Manufacturing (RTM) - June 18, 2003 Release to Premier (RTP) - June 16, 2003 Release to Web (RTW) - June 18, 2003 North America CD Fulfillment - CDs ship to end users 4-6 weeks after RTM Channel Availability (Select) - Standalone and Integrated Code ships in the August kit Channel Availability (Open) - Available to existing customers via WWF SP4 SKU or by downloading; New customers receive integrated SP4 in their first kit. Source: Microsoft JDP

jbredmound

So thunder, you probably remember that I had a bit of a hard time with SP 3. What's the skinny on #4...better testing or not? How long should this "non-geek" wait to upgrade, or should I just dive in.I am very big on staying current, but I have a huge investment in continuing to operate.Tell me, o swami, what you see in your ball.

Guest ThunderRiver

Well, honestly all beta testers are testing the latest release candidate build that was released just yesterday noon (the 5th), and so far, I am pretty impressed with it. Many beta testers are reporting success either upgrading from win2k or win2k+sp1 or 2k+sp2 or 2k+sp3. Even with such success, I only suggest people to wait for at least 3 to 4 weeks before following the crowd to upgrade. Some people with problem in SP3 may want to give SP4 a shot right away. As for me, I will upgrade right away since I am the beta tester..I have confidence with it.I do feel that performance in win2k sp4 seems to improve a bit, and stability is much better as well. Some beta testers are speculating the truth behind the release dates because so far, most beta testers aren't notified with the dates yet. As for me, I am informed with that scheduled date in the joint beta development program. SP4 was originally scheduled to reach RTM by the end of May, so it is about time to fullfill the plan anyway :blink: No rush though. SP team is working quite dilligently, and in a week, we will see if there is a need for incremental build. ThunderRiver

Great. Now I will be able to create my slipstreamed SP4 Windows 2000 Server install CD to put in the multiboot image before Fall classes start! :blink:

Guest ThunderRiver

Another update is saying that the public release date is set to be June 25th. We will see, but one thing for sure, it will be out before July

Guest ThunderRiver

Service Pack is bug fixes, no new feature added except it does come with "Set Program Access and Defaults" and also the EULA is much more tolerant to user than in SP3. For more information about the updated EULA, you can check it out from SlashdotYou should be expected to see a list of fixes for SP4 at http://support.microsoft.comIf you are worrying yourself over product activation, dont' worry. Windows 2000 was never intended to have windows product activation, and it will NEVER will either.

Guest ThunderRiver

As expected, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 has been released today, and you can find download links below. Please post your comments on stabilities, and etc. Many beta testers, including me, have putting up quite a lot of efforts on it, and hopefully you will enjoy the stability and performance it provides.Download Windows 2000 SP4 - Network Install 130MBDownload Windows 2000 SP4 - Express Install 600KList of Bugs That Are Fixed in Windows 2000 Service Pack 4ThunderRiver

Guest ThunderRiver

The previous download links are from NeoWin, and apparently, it is a final internal build that hasn't been released to the public yet. However, it should be the final build in a couple days. It is your opportunity to install it at your own risk although it will most likely be the same, idential public build you see on Microsoft web site in a couple days.

ThunderRiverInstalled on SP4 on three systems lastnight..so far so good..NO problems with install and so far no problems with programs.Seems you beta testers did a great jobInstalled on Compaq 7478 533 K6-2 HP 6468 433 Celeron e-Machine 466id 466 Celeron

I get to file the first forum bug report! Oh goody, goody! Although, I am willing to admit that the bug might be in me, in which case fixing it will be impossible. :lol: During the install of SP4, it hung up big time at "Control.exe". There was no way out, so our hero crashed, ran through the jungle, lived on CDs and Floppys, and finally made it back here?Thunder, any guesses on what might have happened?Oh, by the way, I revived the "One Big Problem" thread to document my adventure, but I doubt that there is anything there to help with the post mortem.

You made a backup and an updated repair disk as requested before actually applying SP4 yes?You also let SP4 make a copy of your setup before applying SP4 during installation yes?I don't think I would call your experience a bug....

You made a backup and an updated repair disk as requested before actually applying SP4 yes?You also let SP4 make a copy of your setup before applying SP4 during installation yes?I don't think I would call your experience a bug....
Yes to number one, but I didn't test the ERD, which is what actually doomed me.Yes to number two, mostly because I would not be able to un-install SP4 if I didn't, but I couldn't seem to get back there.And you are right, it most likely wasn't any kind of bug. I am still wondering, however, if the fact that it hung up at "control.exe" would shed any light on what happened, if if it's all coincidental.

Guest ThunderRiver

Control.exe has something to do with Windows Control PanelAre you having Control Panel opened at the time when you upgraded to SP4? Also, did you try to reboot and then install?I have been on a trip, but let me know how things go B)

jbredmound
Control.exe has something to do with Windows Control PanelAre you having Control Panel opened at the time when you upgraded to SP4? Also, did you try to reboot and then install?I have been on a trip, but let me know how things go B)
I reformatted. I am now the proud user of W2K, SP4.

Well ppl who havent installed win2k's sp4 should hold on a bit more as some problems has being reported with ithead to www.theinquirer.net for more detailsi dont have the url........... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ThunderRiver

****From: Tony - Autodesk Professional Services Date: Jul/15/03 - 16:39 (GMT) FYI - Autodesk has confirmed that installing the Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 causes the corruption of MAX and DRF files. Our Engineering Team is working with Microsoft to resolve this issue. For further details, including our suggested work-arounds, please refer to following technical solution:http://support.autodesk.com/getdoc.asp?id=TS81105This solution will be updated with information related to the final solution as soon as this information becomes available.Tony MichniewiczAutodesk Professional Services****Source: CGArchitectIt seems that Autodesk failed to ensure its product would go through SP4. Most major companies were participating in the development of SP4. It is a technical screwup that Autodesk failed to prevent.

yeah, i read this news this morning. a lot of people are giving Autodesk flack for not beta testing SP4. i disagree with that point. sure, it wouldve helped them if they did, BUT they are busy developing their own products to be beta testing Microsoft's work. In my opinion, it'd give 90% of blame to Microsoft and 10% to autodesk for not checking. i was about to upgrade to SP4 this coming weekend, and now i'm a bit weary about what else might be wrong with this service pack. corruption every single autodesk file is kind of a BIG BUG, eh?

Guest ThunderRiver

Yeah it is a big bug for those that actually rely on AutoDesk products.In this computing site however, we offer Pro Engineering, 3dMax v5, as well as Maya, so we aren't affected.Pretty soon, our main terminal server will be upgraded to Windows Server 2003, and I can't wait for that to happen.

Since when does MS have to start doing the internal testing for EVERY 3rd party app developer? That is not MS's job. In this case, AutoDesk is to blame for not working closely enough with MS and testing the SP beta against their product. Plain and simple!If AutoDesk truely cared about its customers, they would be proactive with their products to ensure they functioned 100% on any MS platform including any SPs that MS releases.

Wait until Linus (oops, Linux) finds out about this cold, cruel fact of life. "If you are writing to a standard, you must keep up with the standard"...I'll "bet the house" that this will be a problem for more than M$ in the future.Monopolies are inherently unstable...hoorah for competition!

Guest ThunderRiver

I would say give it a go. I haven't had much problem with it yet.. but if you have AutoDesk software installed, stay away from SP4 for now.