Tip of the Week Inbox

Please leave your Windows, software, broadband, networking, or other computing-related tip here. And post your name if you're not too shy! I'll give you credit in the newsletter if I use it.Generally speaking, Tips of the Week don't cost money, and they're things you can do yourself -- not a utility program you install. Thanks for you help! :rolleyes: -- Scot

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nlinecomputers

• Scot

• ibe98765

• Plukaduk

muckshifter

Clever ways with Send ToOne of the real Windows goodies is the Send To list in the pop-up menu when you right-click a file or an Icon. As it stands, the Send To options include some useful standards … send the file to a floppy, to an email recipient, to the desktop as a shortcut … and a couple more.But you can easily add to those options. You might want to have a variety of different destination folders, plus maybe your printer. Send To for a popular application, such as Notepad, Word and image editor, are handy too.Start by creating a shortcut to the thing you want to add … this is easily done by holding down the right mouse button while you drag it to your desktop. XP users can release it if the plus sign is showing; that creates a shortcut. Users of 98 and ME will have to release it and select “Create Shortcut Hereâ€. Click the new icon, press F2 and give the shortcut any name you want. Alternatively, right click and “rename†it.Do these as often as you need for the extra Send To items. By the way, printers can be dragged on to the desktop to create shortcuts in the same manner.Now collect all the shortcut icons on your desktop … right-click on each while holding down Ctrl … and press Ctrl, X to cut them. Use Explorer (Window key + E) to go to c:\Windows\SendTo (for Windows 98/ME) or c:\Documents and Settings\[username] (for XP – it’s a hidden file so you might have to go to Tools, Folder Options, View and select Show hidden files and folders).Right-click that folder and select Paste. You’ll see that you’re newly created shortcuts join the existing ones. Now try out your revised Send To command you’ll see your newly created shortcuts will be included in the list.The shortcut, shortcutThere’s a neat trick that provides a quicker way to add a shortcut to the Send To menu: you add a shortcut to the Send To folder itself.Here’s how, locate the Send To folder and drag it on to the desktop to create a shortcut. Then cut and past the shortcut into the Send To folder as before. Sounds odd, but it works.Now, when you want to add a program destination to the Send To folder, right-click the program in Windows Explorer and choose Send To, Shortcut to Send To. That will put a new shortcut into the Send To menu.WARNINGDon’t try using this technique to add folders to the Send To menu … you won’t get a shortcut there, you’ll move the entire folder there.If your Send To menu starts to get unwieldy, just group the contents logically into subfolder. Use Explorer to go to the SendTo menu and create subfolders as normal. The subfolders will appear in the Send To list, with their contents in a submenu.Tried and tested with 98, ME, Win2K, XPEnjoy!Mucks. :)

muckshifter

Tweak the DOS box in XPSometimes you need to run the DOS-style command prompt … for instance, when you want to use some of the stripped-down commands that XP includes. For a full use-with-care listing, create a shortcut.Right-click any spare area of your desktop, select New/Shortcut and, when you’re invited to … enter the location of the item … type this (all on one line):%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:c:\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htmName the shortcut Command Listing, or whatever you like.That will give you a help file … complete with a yellow ? … containing all the command-line commands in XP, and boy, are there a lot of them.Me again. :)

muckshifter

One more ... :) In Windows 98/ME it’s possible to change the size and appearance of the DOS box by using the command icons along the top of the window. In XP, you get a lot more control.Open the Command Prompt window … it’s no longer called the MS-DOS Prompt box … in the usual way by clicking Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt … or by typing “command†(no quotes) in the Start/Run box.Now, when the window opens, click on the tiny icon in its top left corner (it looks like c:\ on black) nicely hidden isn’t it? From the dropdown menu, go to Properties, and you’ll see a load of changeable settings, including the colour of the background and the text, the font used, and more.These changes will improve performance a little:Go to the Options tab. Under the Command History, change the Buffer Size to 999 (this enables scrolling through the window) and Number of Buffers to 5 (this increases the number of lines you can have in the Command Prompt window to 5,000).Under Edit Options, tick the Quick Edit Mode and Insert Mode checkboxes if not already ticked; that enables copy and past to and from the Command Prompt window. To copy something from the window (you just done a “ping†and you want to show the world), select the text by clicking the left mouse button and dragging to highlight the text and then right-click. The highlight will disappear, but don’t worry you really have copied that text. To paste inside the Command Prompt window, just right-click.Outside the Command Prompt window the normal procedures apply … right-click and select Copy or Paste as appropriate.WARNING if you don’t know what your doing in the Command Prompt window … type “exit†(no quotes), this will close the window.Enjoy!Mucks. :)

Many of my friends and family who run Win9x have experienced trouble running ScanDisk and Defrag to completion. The (very good) advice usually given is to shutdown all open programs with Ctrl-Alt-Del, disable the screensaver, and try, try again. This can be tedious.Another excellent suggestion is to reboot to Safe Mode, then run Scandisk and Defrag from there. But frankly, I know people who have never even seen the Boot Menu. And helping them get there by tapping keys at startup and/or helping them edit msdos.sys can be more difficult than just physically sitting at their computer and doing it for them.There is another alternative. I first saw a similar suggestion at WinMag a long time ago, and I have modified and combined some elements; which I think improves the method.Describing the method is much more involved than the actual implementation. At the end of this post is the content of a regfile which can be used to add an entry to the RunOnceEx registry key. The method only requires this file to be merged by a double click or by using the right-click menu for a regfile. Then a reboot.ScanDisk will run without intervention in the twilight zone of Win9x between DOS and Windows. Like Safe Mode- many drivers and services will not yet have been loaded and there is no great competition for resources. Then Defrag will run unattended, also without having to contend with other programs writing to disk, or hogging cpu cycles. When ScanDisk and Defrag have completed, windows will finish loading normally, or (optionally) the computer will shutdown.Another benefit to this method is that my wife and daughter don't get upset because Safe Mode has rearranged the placement of all their pretty icons. And that makes it much nicer for me.Usage:1) First, copy and paste the following content into a new Notepad file.2) Save it with a ".reg" extension. (I call mine "Scan_Frag_ShutDown.reg")3) Merge the file by double-clicking, or choose "merge" from the right-click menu.4) Reboot. (Start>Shut Down>Restart)The File:Begin Copy and Paste below the dashed line.----------------------------------------------REGEDIT4;Run Scandisk and Defrag on next boot.[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx]"Title"="Run_ScanDisk_Defrag""Flags"=dword:00000030[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\001]"RunScanDisk"="||SCANDSKW.EXE /all /n /silent"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\002]"RunDefrag"="||DEFRAG.EXE /all /noprompt /detailed";To have the computer shutdown after ScanDisk and Defrag have completed,;Remove the semi-colons from the front of the following two lines...;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\003];"ShutDown"="||RUNDLL32.EXE user,exitwindows";EOFEDIT 05-02-03 One of my buddies just wrote to tell me that one of the keys in the regfile above wasn't registering. I apologize... there is nothing wrong with the code, but each line needs to have an "end-of-line" marker. I had a hard time writing this post so that every key was on one unbroken line. If you are using this tip without one of the functions, and would like to use them all... just go to your file...Put the cursor at the end of each line, and then hit "Enter". Your cursor will now be on the beginning of a new empty line. Hit the "Delete" key. this will remove the empty line and will move all the following lines back up to where they were. Repeat on each line to ensure that each line has a "Return" at the end.-Ben :)

Hey, these are all good tips! Cool. It's odd, but I rarely get tips of this caliber emailed to me. And I'm always looking for them. Stuff like this will definitely make it into the newsletter.-- Scot

This is just a simple little tip for newer users that is intended to make accessing your system easier when you're using your browser or have a window open on your desktop. Right click the toolbar and select "Toolbars/Desktop". Drag the title "Desktop" to the right end of the taskbar, toward the clock, until just the title shows followed by two double chevrons. No matter what's on your screen, you can left click the chevrons to have instant access to your desktop. This is the only way I use the desktop anymore. My actual desktop is just wallpaper, no icons at all.

SonicDragon

How about a list of helpful run commandsWindows+R than calc, or command, or msconfig, notepad, or even a web adress.Or maybe Shift + Delete to skip the Recycle Bin.I know these are easy things... but i'll think of something eventually lol.

• 5 weeks later...

Most of my tips are in the All Things Linux Forum, but to proove that I"m not anti-windows:Here's what I found out by accident,If you have marked in the options of Outlook Express 6.0, under the securitytab “do not allow attatchments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virusâ€Every mail you get with an attatchment will have a gray line with the text: OE has removed the attatchment for securityreasons ( well something like that anyway )You would think that the attachment is dumped, untrue, if you press the “forward message†key suddenly the attatch appears, you can right-click it and open or save it in My Documents.( sorry, I can't remember the exact words OE uses, it's been a while I did Windows )Bruno

Search Bars are nice, I guess, although I don't use them myself. There are times when it is necessary to type terms into a search box, but for other situations, and quick searches... Here is an alternative: A quick way to run a search by selecting text on a web page and choosing a search from a context menu...It looks like this:example.jpgThe search for "ubiquitous" in the example above would open the completed results page at a dictionary search engine... in a new window. (Sorry, IE only for now.) It is really quite easy to build both the context menu item, and the "program" that it runs. But it is difficult to describe.I wrote instructions (an html page) that is both the program and the documentation at the same time... It will be clear if you read it, I think!The set up requires 2 files and 1 registry entry. :D The largest part of the package is the "screenshot" above! :D It is completely free "freeware" for Scot's Newsletter Forums members.The webhost for my files is usually quite reliable, but if you have trouble downloading it; just let me know- it is only about 47k and could easily be sent through email.Download: Selected Text Context Menu Search TemplateI hope lots of my buddies here can find a use for it. :D

Guest LilBambi

benhenry --Thanks ... I downloaded it too and will check it out later.Hadn't seen you for a bit, glad you are back!

• 2 weeks later...

This is more for Link of week, but I can't find it, and I know Scott will look here. :D This site has the best most accurate info and recommendations on a slew of 3rd party addons that auto-start with windows. For example, talks about Nero's nerocheck.exe and what it does and how useful it is, along with all the NAV programs that start and Sound Blaster utils too. very very handy.http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pa...es/tasklist.htm

Speed Up Nero's Loading Speed in WinXP----------------------------------------------------When you load up Nero, it may be slow "Scaning SCSI/IDE-Bus Pleast Wait..." Because XP also uses the CD-RW Drive. If you do not use the built-in CD Recording feature, disable it, so Nero can load up faster.1. Open Control Panel2. Administrative Tools3. Services4. Look for "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service" under name (I suggest clicking on the "Name" bar to organize it in chronological order first)5. Right click, go to Properties6. In the "Startup Type:", select Disabled7. Apply and close, no need for reboot, close Nero if needed, and reopen. You should see a difference in the time Nero loads from start to finish compare to how long before this tweak.Clear the Page File at shutdown(Win2k/XP)------------------------------------------------------[The manual method for those not running tweakui or other tweaking programs]For added security you should always clear the page file upon shutting down your computer. Please note, this will slightly increase the amount of time it takes to shut down your computer but it is well worth it.Start Regedit. If you are unfamiliar with regedit please refer to our FAQ on how to get started. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management Select ClearPageFileAtShutdown from the list on the right. Right on it and select Modify. Change the value to 1 to enable. Reboot your computer.

Enable ClearTypeIf you're looking to make your display easier to read, check out the ClearType capabilities included with XP. ClearType is designed to enhance the way text is rendered on LCD screens for improved reading, but it also looks good on traditional CRT monitors. You can enable ClearType through Display Properties - you can access this dialog box either through the Control Panel, or by simply right-clicking on a blank area of desktop. Once within the Display dialog box, click on the Appearance tab, then on the Effects button. Check the box to smooth screen fonts, and change its setting from Standard to ClearType.Microsoft provides an online ClearType tuning applet to adjust how text is rendered within your browser.Edit - Must be done from Internet Explorer as it requires ActiveX

• 2 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet
This is just a simple little tip for newer users that is intended to make accessing your system easier when you're using your browser or have a window open on your desktop.  Right click the toolbar and select "Toolbars/Desktop". Drag the title "Desktop" to the right end of the taskbar, toward the clock, until just the title shows followed by two double chevrons.  No matter what's on your screen, you can left click the chevrons to have instant access to your desktop.  This is the only way I use the desktop anymore.  My actual desktop is just wallpaper, no icons at all.
Aw, jeez, Jeber- you beat me to it. That little chevron thing is one of my favorite Win98 tricks. Of course there are any number of different ways of getting back to your desktop, but this has to be one of the slickest. Even if you have a bunch of windows up, this one gets you instant desktop access without disturbing any of those active windows- but maybe it is working different on your machine, because what I get is a popup icons listing. Click again and the list disappears. This trick seems to be more for those of us who want to get at those _icons_ on the desktop. It does not show my actual desktop (art), only an icon list. You can also make folders of your own and put them in your desktop, and then fill them with tons of other goodies- including collections of yet other program icons. Another plus- the popup list icons are single-click activated vs. double-clicking on the actual desktop. For quick access to the 'real' desktop, probably that little desktop icon in the quick start menu in the tray is best. I do like to keep a small subset of program icons on my desktop for quick access, but I also use "Blanch" to hold up to a couple hundred icons, all neatly categorized in their own tabbed collections such as Com1, Com2, Util1, Util5, Edit, Mus, Sec, Gr1, Gr2, Bkup etc. If you think about it, you can probably easily figure out what is meant by each of these abbreviations (shorter names allows more tabs to fit). On a humble 800x600 screen like I run with my 17" monitor, you can get up to 13 entries times 15 tabs for a theoretical max of 195 icons. This number only increases for larger screen sizes! I like to set up Blanch as a vertical bar to the far right on my screen, then size open windows to fill most remaining space on the left of the screen, but still showing a little desktop border all around. Single click the Blanch icon to bring it up, click 'anywhere else non-clickable' to rehide it. The combination of the chevron thingie plus Blanch is awesome! You can download a copy of this tiny 152K freeware at:http://www.agathering.net/computer/softwar...are/util23.html(Scroll down to the entry for Blanch) The website owner describes this page as a listing of "taskbar, start menu and explorer enhancement utilities for Dos, Windows 95, 98 & NT". I have also heard these little gems referred to as 'desktop utilities'. BTW I put Blanch on a friend's XP OS recently- it seems to play well there, too. There are plenty of other clever utilities that do the same task as Blanch, so it is well worth playing with a few, but I have found Blanch is hard to beat for its power + simplicity of use.Update: I found that I am running an earlier version of Blanch, and the ftp download address given on the site above is no longer working. Also, it appears that Blanch is actually shareware, at least it is now. You can download a copy of the current version (179K) to try out from the author at:http://oneguycoding.com/blanch/

For what it's worth, the Chevron thing is one of the first tips I ever did in a newsletter. I called it the Tip of the Year back in the very first Windows Insider issue I wrote back in July of 1999:http://www.techweb.com/winmag/columns/insi...1999/072199.htm(You have to scroll to "Tip of the Week" to see it.)Now, I'm not dissing you guys, Jeber and ClutterMagnet. Because I too think this is an excellent tip. I've even already reprised the tip in Scot's Newsletter (somewhere, but I didn't search for it).Just so you know why I'm not running it again. Because it's certainly good enough. Oh, my recollection is that it doesn't work perfectly with all newer versions of Windows. I think ME has a problem with it? Can't recall now.-- Scot

nlinecomputers

Give more flexibility to your Windows Add/Remove Compontants lists.For Windows 2000 or XP.Microsoft has a list of what programs you can install or remove with the Add-Remove programs tool in the Control Panel. But the list is incomplete. What to get the full list?Here is how:Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\inf, find and open the sysoc.inf file. Under Windows XP Pro this file will look like the following by default:

[Version] Signature = "$Windows NT$"DriverVer=06/26/2001,5.1.2505.0[Components]NtComponents=ntoc.dll,NtOcSetupProc,,4WBEM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wbemoc.inf,hide,7Display=desk.cpl,DisplayOcSetupProc,,7Fax=fxsocm.dll,FaxOcmSetupProc,fxsocm.inf,,7NetOC=netoc.dll,NetOcSetupProc,netoc.inf,,7iis=iis.dll,OcEntry,iis.inf,,7com=comsetup.dll,OcEntry,comnt5.inf,hide,7dtc=msdtcstp.dll,OcEntry,dtcnt5.inf,hide,7IndexSrv_System = setupqry.dll,IndexSrv,setupqry.inf,,7TerminalServer=TsOc.dll, HydraOc, TsOc.inf,hide,2msmq=msmqocm.dll,MsmqOcm,msmqocm.inf,,6ims=imsinsnt.dll,OcEntry,ims.inf,,7fp_extensions=fp40ext.dll,FrontPage4Extensions,fp40ext.inf,,7AutoUpdate=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,au.inf,hide,7msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7msnexplr=ocmsn.dll,OcEntry,msnmsn.inf,,7smarttgs=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,msnsl.inf,,7RootAutoUpdate=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,rootau.inf,,7Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7CommApps=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,communic.inf,HIDE,7MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7[Global]WindowTitle=%WindowTitle%WindowTitle.StandAlone="*"

The entries that include the text hide or HIDE will not show up in Add/Remove Windows Components by default. To fix this, do a global search and replace for ,hide and change each instance of this to , (a comma). Then, save the file, relaunch Add/Remove Windows Components, and add or remove the installed applications to your heart's content.

Cluttermagnet
For what it's worth, the Chevron thing is one of the first tips I ever did in a newsletter. I called it the Tip of the Year back in the very first Windows Insider issue I wrote back in July of 1999:http://www.techweb.com/winmag/columns/insi...1999/072199.htm(You have to scroll to "Tip of the Week" to see it.)Now, I'm not dissing you guys, Jeber and ClutterMagnet. Because I too think this is an excellent tip. I've even already reprised the tip in Scot's Newsletter (somewhere, but I didn't search for it).Just so you know why I'm not running it again. Because it's certainly good enough. Oh, my recollection is that it doesn't work perfectly with all newer versions of Windows. I think ME has a problem with it? Can't recall now.-- Scot
Right you are, Scot-I tried showing this dandy tip to a friend who is running ME and we found out quickly that ME is _very_ opinionated as to how things get set up in the tray. Reboot and your little chevron trick is _gone_! Yes, I hate ME too.This exercise does illustrate, however, just how much redundancy via 'hidden' functionality is built into the various Windows versions. Seems like there are always 3 or 4 different ways to do any particular task, and this makes Windows so infinitely customizable by the user. You gotta love it! That is one of many things that is going to be missed when Windows is no more.

benhenry said:

Another benefit to this method is that my wife and daughter don't get upset because Safe Mode has rearranged the placement of all their pretty icons. And that makes it much nicer for me.
Try this handy shell extension to solve that problem! I've long used this on every PC that I build. Now I install it on every PC that I service as well. I install it prior to doing anything that might require a Safe Mode startup. It solves the problem of clients who get irate because their desktop layout has changed.I just updated the page and the README re: WinXP. It works as is in all 32-bit Windows versions that I have tested it with... Win95, Win98, WinME, WinNT4, Win2K, and now WinXP. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tip, ChrisP. I'd like to run it in the newsletter. Let me know if that's OK with you. I'd probably just do a direct link to your download, and credit you of course. I could link to your version of the tip, or whatever you want. I just need to run the whole tip (probably in my words) in the newsletter. Let me know what you think.-- Scot

Nathan, I just wanted to add that I've earmarked your tip on Add or Remove Programs for a future Tip of the Week once I try it out. Sounds very cool!-- Scot

Question, nlinecomputers...I just searched my C:\ drive, and no such file exists ( C:\WINDOWS\inf). I run XP Pro SP1. Should I have this, or does it not usually exist in this OS? Now you've got me curious.

JeberI ran it at home searching for sysoc.inf and found nothing using XP Pro SP1. When I got to school this morning, I tried there - same flavor of XP. This time I searched for just sysoc. I found the file! It was located in i386. There was also an sysocmgr. That looked like it should be better, but it came up with missing parameters so I looked at the sysoc. I have to admit I did not recognize most of the stuff listed there. Only 9 things had "hide" in the lines. Guess they hid it from me for a reason. <_<

nlinecomputers
Question, nlinecomputers...I just searched my C:\ drive, and no such file exists ( C:\WINDOWS\inf).  I run XP Pro SP1.  Should I have this, or does it not usually exist in this OS?  Now you've got me curious.
Jebber,Every copy of windows should have this file. Do you have a sysoc.PNF file? The inf file is created from that source file. *click* I just had a thought. <_< Have you ever opened Add remove programs and gone to Windows Components? If you never had then you might not have that file. Run that in control panel and then come back to your INF directory and look for the file.

nlinecomputers
Nathan, I just wanted to add that I've earmarked your tip on Add or Remove Programs for a future Tip of the Week once I try it out. Sounds very cool!-- Scot
Scot,Thanks. Just spell my name right. And correct my bad spelling. <_<

Scot -- no problem with using at you intend -- and there is also some additional info that you might want -- I'm pasting below the content of an e-mail exchange with (apparently) a reader here...I am assuming that you found this tool via my post here (link to the SFNL Forum). If that's not where you found it, may I ask how you came across it? :) Actually, there is a fairly simple way to do this. The current desktop layout is stored in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\IconLayout which is created the first time the desktop layout is saved. Thus, the easiest way to "copy" one desktop layout to a second system is to export this registry key to a .REG file, which is then to be placed on a floppy diskette or other portable storage medium. Install the Desktop Icon Backup/Restore tool on the target system as per the original instructions. Then, insert the disk with the .REG file (exported from the first system) into an appropriate drive on the target system. Browse to that drive and then double-click on the exported .REG file to merge it into the target system's registry. Of course, for all of the icons to show and work, a couple of other things are required:the objects to which each of the desktop icons point must also be present and in the same relative location on the target system, and the desktop icons themselves must be present on the target system.Please feel free to write back for more help or explanation if needed. I'll be happy to do my best to answer any questions that you may have... -Chris Prioli ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mxxxx Nxxxx" <mxxxx.l.nxxxx@helsinki.fi>To: <xxxxxxx@xxxxx-xxxx.com>Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 2:24 AMSubject: Desktop Layout Backup> Hi!> > I love this tool you provided! I wonder if it can be made even better: if I > change to a new computer, can I copy some files and get my desktop quickly > arranged the same way it was in the old machine?> > Thankfully yours> Mxxxx Nxxxx> mxxxx.l.nxxxx@helsinki.fi> > I assumed that she came across it in the forum here, as I never publicized that before -- there was an effectively similar fix posted already at PC911 when I got involved there, so I had only shared my version with my local clients here. :) There are also others posting the same method I use -- The Elder Geek and experts exchange, to name two...

You can't depend on a website with useful information to always be available. So I commonly save web pages for my own archives. This is easy to do via the toolbar menu item File-Save as command.Now here's the tip:If you scoll one entry down the Save as type line, you can change the save option to type .MHT. Unlike the normal save which will save the HTML separate from the graphics, .MHT will save an integrated single file. This is a lot easier to use and move around.