ISPs Access to Cable BB

Netochka

One can only hope.Extracts from http://www.startribune.com/stories/535/4139618.html Cable giants such as Comcast Corp. and AOL Time Warner Inc. could face new pressure from regulators to open their high-speed Internet services to rival providers as a result of a new ruling by federal judges in San Francisco on Monday.However, it appeared likely the ruling by a three-judge panel would be appealed to the full Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and possibly the U.S. Supreme Court. The ruling involves the question of whether cable companies must, in the same way as phone companies like Verizon Communications Inc., allow independent Internet service providers such as America Online, Earthlink, and smaller local companies to rent cable lines to serve their own customers.

This has been the case in Nebraska for about a year or so now. TimeWarner controls everything cable (here in Lincon at least), but they were required to allow other companies to "rent the service." I could get Earthlink or AOL if I wanted to, but chose a local company that was offering it for quite a bit less. I pay $7/mo less than I would if I went directly through TW.