Arch Way !

abarbarian

Thought I would start a thread for folk to post links to Arch reviews and articles showing Arch in use.http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/arch-way"This will not be a step-by-step guide on getting an Arch Linux desktop up and running. You can find that on Arch's fabulous wiki. Instead I'll share with you what separates Arch from other Linux distributions and what makes Arch one of the best distributions for a personal workstation."http://www.go2linux.org/mt/linux-ht/2010/1...x-review-1.html"Arch Linux is yet another Linux distribution. By the time of this writing Arch Linux is in the top ten list of Distro Watch.Computers are mostly used to perform certain task, and to do that task well, the user should not have to spend much time configuring the computer, or tweaking it to make it work, Arch Linux aims to keep computer working as simple as possible. In fact its philosophy is summarized in the acronym KISS Keep It Simply Stupid. But do not think that because it is simple it is not powerful, Arch Linux can perform as Desktop, LAMP, firewall, router, cache server, or any other task you may want, while keeping it simple."https://soosck.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/gui...solution-linux/"I previously blogged about my satisfactory experience with Arch Linux installation on a second-hand laptop. Now in this post I’m going to turn that $150 laptop into a kick-ass and sexy Amp and Effect Processor. In fact, we will see how lightweight tendency of Arch Linux helps us to achieve a low latency/high quality playback on a computer that is considered somehow outdated in today’s world. Furthermore, we’re going demonstrate the obvious fact that GNU/Linux has already reached the maturity suitable for (semi-)professional audio needs. The project for myself was a bit of stretch and needed a lot of trial-and-error efforts since I was totally new to the whole idea. However the final result is quite superb and amazing:"Enjoy and be assimilated. :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

Aww... no need to be assimilated. Arch is a friendly operating system. There's no hostage taking or tyranny involved in your choice to run Arch. It's GOOD stuff! Wish I could get around to reinstalling mine. :hysterical:

securitybreach

I enjoyed all of the reviews but I really liked the first one from LinuxJournal. The author did a great writeup of Archlinux and how it works!! I am going to add that review to my Arch Installation Tutorial.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/7269/2/"Arch isn't perfect. I've had a few issues with it, such as fonts looking jagged and missing pixels; installing the Infinality package from AUR helped the missing pixels, while copying the whole /etc/fonts directory from an Ubuntu system made the fonts look prettier. (Try that at your own risk: messing with /etc/fonts like that is not sanctioned by the Arch team.)But overall, Arch has been one of the most painless distros I've used. It's an ideal system for someone who really wants to understand how and why Linux works, not just which buttons to click. You can solve most minor problems with a quick search of the wiki. Arch is fast, booting in about half the time Ubuntu requires on the same system. Most important, it gives you control over what you run on your own system.And really, isn't that one of the best reasons to use Linux? " :thumbsup:

http://articles.slicehost.com/arch"Configuring your Arch Linux Slice is a breeze with these easy to follow articlesArch is a flexible distribution that emphasizes simplicity and standards. While they do have periodic "releases", regular updates keep any Arch system current with their latest packages.The Arch tutorials take you from a 'barebones' Slice to a secure, up to date and steamingly quick server in very little time."http://www.slicehost.com/articles/2010/12/...arch-and-gentoohttp://articles.slicehost.com/ebookI'm not exactly sure what a "Slice" is but it looks like it is free and friendly and well documented, oh and it is about Arch :thumbsup:

Once again abarbarian, you bless us with great links. :thumbsup: As someone who after endless research and discovery has decided that Arch is the distro that I want as my main distro, the timing of this post could not have been better.Though, I do have a question. I am at work so I can't install Arch right at the moment to get the correct output asked when setting up an account at the Arch Wiki. What is the output of

"date -u +%W`uname`|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'"

? So, if someone could please be so kind as to what the output of this is, I would appreciate it. ;)Thanks again,Ian

Edited by ichase

securitybreach
Once again abarbarian, you bless us with great links. :) As someone who after endless research and discovery has decided that Arch is the distro that I want as my main distro, the timing of this post could not have been better.Though, I do have a question. I am at work so I can't install Arch right at the moment to get the correct output asked when setting up an account at the Arch Wiki. What is the output of
 "date -u +%W`uname`|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'"

? So, if someone could please be so kind as to what the output of this is, I would appreciate it. ;)Thanks again,Ian

Here ya go:
╔═ comhack@Venus 09:33 PM ╚═══ ~-> date -u +%W`uname`|sha256sum|sed 's/\W//g'8ffcf0e88bc3f267aa2e80bf0b9b5be544b4f7d2c21ef0e705f32e07e057c9cf

╔═ comhack@Venus 09:31 PM ╚═══ ~-> u-n-a-m-e -aLinux Venus 2.6.36-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 8 14:15:27 CET 2011 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I spelled u-n-a-m-e like that because of http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=21483

• 2 weeks later...

These links are a bit esoteric as they deal with hacked kernels but as Arch gets a mention I thought they might interest someone.http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2011/01/l...ith-the-li.htmlhttp://liquorix.net/

Liquorix KernelLiquorix is a distro kernel replacement built using the best configuration and kernel sources for desktop, multimedia, and gaming workloads
.Hmm I like liquorice. Now that I have nearly conquored the command line I might give it a whirl meself. :hysterical: B) B) :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: That was a joke by the way :harhar:

Ok, am I just an idiot......OK.......Don't answer that one. :thumbsup: When I try to create an account at the Arch Wiki it asked me for the output of what I mentioned earlier and Josh was kind as always to reply and provide me with the out put. When I put either of these outputs in I get the following.archwiki.th.pngCould they not just ask for the normal "Type in exactly what you see in the picture"I have Arch installed, just need to get it hooked up to Ethernet so that I can get everything that needs to be installed. Was going to browse the Wiki for directions on how to make this a KDE Arch OS vice a Gnome Arch OS. Not knocking Gnome, I have just found that I like KDE better. :)All the best,Ian

Edited by ichase

I have Arch installed, just need to get it hooked up to Ethernet so that I can get everything that needs to be installed. Was going to browse the Wiki for directions on how to make this a KDE Arch OS vice a Gnome Arch OS. Not knocking Gnome, I have just found that I like KDE better. :)All the best,Ian
Now that you have bitten the bullet join the rest of the crowd trying out E17, Securitybreach has it installed, amenditman is going to try it, be a true explorer of the unknown and take that Archway to enlightenment. :hysterical:

securitybreach
I liked E17, but I was running it in PCLOS rather than in Arch. But I still prefer Gnome and that's what I'm continuing to run.
Well Archlinux has the newest version of E17 so it may be the current development that is buggy.

Now that you have bitten the bullet join the rest of the crowd trying out E17, Securitybreach has it installed, amenditman is going to try it, be a true explorer of the unknown and take that Archway to enlightenment. :rolleyes:
:w00t: I think I may very well give it a try. I just started reading up on it from the links that Josh provided. Can you install multiple environments and switch between them?Ian

securitybreach
:w00t: I think I may very well give it a try. I just started reading up on it from the links that Josh provided. Can you install multiple environments and switch between them?Ian
Of course you can. For instance, my ~/.xinitrc:
#!/bin/shgnome-settings-daemonxscreensaver -no-splash &numlockx &nitrogen --restore &xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptrudiskie &.xmonad/conkyscript &exec ck-launch-session xmonad#exec ck-launch-session gnome-session#exec ck-launch-session startkde#exec ck-launch-session startxfce4#exec enlightenment_startpidof mpdscribble >& /dev/nullif [ $? -ne 0 ]; then mpdscribble & fi
Notice there are 5 sessions listed. All I have to do is uncomment the one I want to start and then type startx.

Of course you can. For instance, my ~/.xinitrc:Notice there are 5 sessions listed. All I have to do is uncomment the one I want to start and then type startx.
Man, Josh.....You make this stuff look so easy. :w00t: 1st thing I need to do, is get the time to get back on my lappy and at least get a GUI of some sort installed. Right now, all I have is CLI after I select Arch from the grub menu. I still need to go in and uncomment the XP partition so that it shows on my menu then add my Mandy to it.Now I am assuming here (which I normally do not like to do), Arch should recognize there is an internet connection as soon as I plug in the ethernet?? I know every other distro has. Or do I need to configure DHCP once I am on ethernet directly at my router?I'm pretty confident it should recognize I have an internet connection. Have never had to configure on any other distro.Thanks,Ian

securitybreach
Man, Josh.....You make this stuff look so easy. :w00t: 1st thing I need to do, is get the time to get back on my lappy and at least get a GUI of some sort installed. Right now, all I have is CLI after I select Arch from the grub menu. I still need to go in and uncomment the XP partition so that it shows on my menu then add my Mandy to it.Now I am assuming here (which I normally do not like to do), Arch should recognize there is an internet connection as soon as I plug in the ethernet?? I know every other distro has. Or do I need to configure DHCP once I am on ethernet directly at my router?I'm pretty confident it should recognize I have an internet connection. Have never had to configure on any other distro.Thanks,Ian
Yes, it should recognize your Ethernet cable right away. Worst case senario, you have to run
dhcpcd eth0

but you should not have to as long as your /etc/rc.conf is correctly edited for dhcp. Here is the revelant section of /etc/rc.conf:

# Use 'ifconfig -a' or 'ls /sys/class/net/' to see all available interfaces.## Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)# Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES#   - prefix an entry in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it#   - no hyphens in your interface names - Bash doesn't like it# # DHCP:	 Set your interface to "dhcp" (eth0="dhcp")# Wireless: See network profiles below##Static IP example#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"eth0="dhcp"INTERFACES=(eth0)# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)# Declare each route then list in ROUTES#   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it#gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"ROUTES=(!gateway)

It is all pretty self-explanatory but if you use dhcp, then it should automatically work with the default entry (the one above).

Yes, it should recognize your Ethernet cable right away. Worst case senario, you have to run
dhcpcd eth0

but you should not have to as long as your /etc/rc.conf is correctly edited for dhcp. Here is the revelant section of /etc/rc.conf:

# Use 'ifconfig -a' or 'ls /sys/class/net/' to see all available interfaces.## Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)# Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES#   - prefix an entry in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it#   - no hyphens in your interface names - Bash doesn't like it# # DHCP:	 Set your interface to "dhcp" (eth0="dhcp")# Wireless: See network profiles below##Static IP example#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"eth0="dhcp"INTERFACES=(eth0)# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)# Declare each route then list in ROUTES#   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it#gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"ROUTES=(!gateway)

It is all pretty self-explanatory but if you use dhcp, then it should automatically work with the default entry (the one above).

Thanks Josh, seems simple enough. Hopefully real soon I can jump in feet first into Enlightenment like the great barbarian did. :thumbup:Have learned a lot from his recent adventures. :)Ian

securitybreach
Thanks Josh, seems simple enough. Hopefully real soon I can jump in feet first into Enlightenment like the great barbarian did. :thumbup:Have learned a lot from his recent adventures. :)Ian
Sounds good :thumbsup:Although, personally I would use a different WM than Enlightenment but to each his/her own.

This is more for verification but would I add this to /boot/grub/menu.lst to get my Mandy install to show up on my grub menu at boot?

# title Mandriva 2010.2kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda7  resume=/dev/sda5 splash=verbose vga=788initrd  (hd0,7)/boot/initrd.img

I have Mandy on sda7. I know what the entry for grub2 would be but this is my first time with legacy grub. :) Have not ruled out just installing Grub2.As far as Enlightenment, I still want to use KDE but I have become intrigued with E17. Worth a try. You mentioned I could have multiple environments running so I could always switch between them yeah? :thumbup:Ian

Edited by ichase

securitybreach
This is more for verification but would I add this to /boot/grub/menu.lst to get my Mandy install to show up on my grub menu at boot?
# title Mandriva 2010.2kernel (hd0,7)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda7  resume=/dev/sdax splash=verbose vga=788initrd  (hd0,7)/boot/initrd.img

I know what the entry for grub2 would be but this is my first time with legacy grub. :)Ian

Well it looks fine but the syntax is a bit different then what I am used to. Of course, I am not an expert with Grub and Mandriva. (Maybe Barry or one of the other Mandriva experts can chime in) Normally it should be:
# title Mandriva 2010.2root (hd0,7)kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 ro splash=verbose vga=788initrd /path/to/initrd

Also, note that Grub-legacy starts with 0 and Grub2 starts with 1. So for instance:Grub-legacy would be (hd0,0) for the first harddrive/first partitionGrub2 would be (hd0,1) for the first harddrive/first partitionThe reason I mention this is your (hd0,7) may in fact be (hd0,6) If that makes sense :) B)https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#D...ith_GNU.2FLinux

The reason I mention this is your (hd0,7) may in fact be (hd0,6) If that makes sense B) B)
Your absolutely correct Josh, I knew that and added that with Grub2 in mind when I am going to be using legacy. :) Thanks for straightening me out. :thumbsup:Ian

securitybreach
Thanks for straightening me out. B)
:)
Your absolutely correct Josh, I knew that and added that with Grub2 in mind when I am going to be using legacy. :\">Ian
Good deal B)

Well I got Mandriva added to my menu.lst but can't seem to get wired ethernet working. I added to the NETWORK section of my /etc/rc.conf as you have mentioned in your tutorial.But when I select

# pacman -Sy python curl

I get the following errors

Error failed to update core (no servers configured for repository)Error failed to update extra (no servers configured for repository)Error failed to update community (no servers configured for repository)Error Failed to synchronize any database

I'm sure it is something that I did, and have been trying to figure it out.Thanks ahead of time of your help :)Ian

securitybreach

Ian, could you post your /etc/rc.conf and your /etc/resolv.conf. Also, you can manually start dhcp with the following command, as root:

dhcpcd eth0