Weird Nexus 7 Behavior

raymac46

My neighbor up the street has a 1st generation Nexus 7 and I think she's upgraded it to Android 5.0

It's been doing some weird things though - jittery display, partial windows showing up, hard to get rid of apps by dragging them off the screen and slow operation. I don't know much about these units. I did clear out the cache partition but I don't know what else could be causing these problems.Anybody seen anything like this with Android hardware?

securitybreach

You must downgrade to Kitkat as that tablet cannot handle stock 5.1 with only 1gb of ram. Personally I use Cyanogenmod 11(kitkat rom) but if you must use stock kitkat, there is a way to stop the upgrade notification from showing up.

You can flash the stock 4.4.4 kitkat by following this: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

• Like 1

Well this certainly is a strange one. I also have a Nexus 7 - 2012 edition and I have had none of the problems my neighbor has. It turns out that my Nexus 7 was defective from the start and did not update past Android 4.1.2 so I would never have seen the Lollipop O/S. :teehee:

I reset my unit on Linux Mint using android-tools to flash to KitKat 4.3 factory settings. I've upgraded to 4.4.2 and then I rooted the device to stop any more automatic system upgrades.

I'm not sure whether I want to try this on my neighbor's unit though as this seems to me like doing a BIOS upgrade and the chances of bricking the tablet look pretty high.

Question: I had to unlock the bootloader to do all the flash and root stuff. Do I leave it unlocked as long as the device is rooted?

securitybreach

Question: I had to unlock the bootloader to do all the flash and root stuff. Do I leave it unlocked as long as the device is rooted?

Yes

The problem is the device is too underpowered for Lollipop and should of not came out for that particular device.

I reset my neighbor's machine back to Android 4.4.4 but she's still complaining about wobbly screen and jittery video. My Nexus 7 runs great with Android 4.4.4 so I think she may have some sort of hardware problem. My advice to her was get an iPad. Less hassle for non geeks. She doesn't like the poor Nexus 7 camera anyway.

securitybreach

I reset my neighbor's machine back to Android 4.4.4 but she's still complaining about wobbly screen and jittery video. My Nexus 7 runs great with Android 4.4.4 so I think she may have some sort of hardware problem. My advice to her was get an iPad. Less hassle for non geeks. She doesn't like the poor Nexus 7 camera anyway.

Personally I would never suggest an ipad. She may rather like a Nexus 9. The specs are awesome and a humongous upgrade from the Nexus 7 in terms of specs and quality:

64-bit NVIDIA Tegra K1 Dual Denver @ 2.3GHz processor

2GB Ram

8MP Rear camera with flash

6700 mAh battery

8.9" IPS LCD @ 2048x1536

Runs Android 5.1.1 smoothly with zero lag

https://store.google...product/nexus_9 for $399.00

She can also try it out at Best Buy and purchase from there if she likes.

Nexus 9 looks great and if I were in the market that's what I'd get for myself for sure. However the folks I know who have bought an iPad have generally been happy. Most are non geeks.

My daughter loves hers, and my nemesis Lillian has not managed to screw up her iPad - which is a miracle.

• Like 2

securitybreach

Nexus 9 looks great and if I were in the market that's what I'd get for myself for sure. However the folks I know who have bought an iPad have generally been happy. Most are non geeks.

My daughter loves hers, and my nemesis Lillian has not managed to screw up her iPad - which is a miracle.

I hear ya

. . . my nemesis Lillian has not managed to screw up her iPad - which is a miracle.

You shouldn't have said that--Lillian will now proceed to accomplish the impossible/unthinkable.
  • Like 2