Mandrake Linux 9.1

Guest ComputerBob

Guest ComputerBob

CheapBytes sent me an email today, confirming that they've shipped my order of Mandrake Linux 9.1 and Knoppix. I was hoping that it would have been shipped this past Saturday. They're probably swamped with orders for the new "Pink Tie" (RedHat) Linux that was released today.I'm hoping that, unlike MDK 9.0, MDK 9.1 will recognize my Epson USB scanner, burn CDs at more than 24x on my TDK 48x CD burner, and generally get along better with my hardware.I've read a few quick reviews of 9.1, but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it yet. Any first impressions, especially in comparison to 9.0?

I read on reviews how great it is but I have different experience.I tested RC1 and RC2 and RC3 (which is final).Mandrake 9.0 was working fine on my PC, no problems whatsoever, and the only reason I moved away was testing other distros and waiting for XFree 4.3.0 and KDE 3.1 (Radeon 8500 drivers and new font antialiasing and improvement).On both RC1 and RC2 I couldn't get KDE to work at all.It would boot up fine but no response, no matter what I clicked. Gnome on the other hand was working fine.I tried all forums and questions/answers to no avail.Finally my 9.1 final install went smooth and I was able after install to boot to KDE without hickup.Everything was great.As soon as I rebooted it first time, I couldn't get into KDE at all anymore.Again, search in forums, ask people, this and that, but no help.Everything works great inclusing Gnome but KDE pffftt.It is important to me to work in KDE because of Scribus which is built with QT and some other applications.Just to point out that it is not KDE fault since I have loaded Gentoo with same version of KDE 3.1.0 without glistch.It just works and it works much faster then in any other distro I tried before.I wish I could offer you more insight regarding work under 9.1 but I gave up and scrapped installation because I am not interested in Gnome.

Guest ThunderRiver

Did you install Gnome as well? When I was performing the installation of Mandrake 9.1, I only chose KDE, and so far so good. I have rebooted a couple times, and KDE still works.

Guest ComputerBob

Thank you both for your insights! ;) I'm very much a newbie in Linux, so I don't have any technical reasons that require me to use KDE instead of Gnome. However, in MDK 9.0, I really prefered the look and feel of KDE to the look and feel of Gnome, so I'd really like to be able to use KDE in 9.1 (or in 9.1.1 or 9.2???)It sounds like I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and holding my breath for at least my first several boots of MDK 9.1, hoping that KDE will work for me. ;) Thanks, again! ;)

Did you install Gnome as well?...
Yes, I did install both Gnome and KDE at the time.Later I tried fixing and reinstalling KDE only but no success :(While both Gnome and KDE tends to be really good GUI's, there is a growing trend that KDE is going to be better because it is built on top of the QT base. KDE also have better developed dialog boxes which Gnome will try to incorporate in some future versions apparently.I think on the end it all comes down to personal preference or if like me you want to use certain software package that works only in certain desktop environment.I think they should combine the best of both worlds and come up with some combo Gnome-KDE desktop to better fight Microsoft but I think it is impossible due to different underlying technologies ;) .Anyway, I am done with Mandrake unfortunately for this version.I already downloaded RedHat 9 but I was busy this couple of days and didn't install it yet.I'll give you breakdown once I am done with it.I am certain that I will not stick with Redhat since I don't like their distro, especially knowing that Suse 8.2 is coming out in couple of days :)You gotta love technology ;)

Hi there,I have been using Mandrake 9.1 for about a week now and I can tell you all that I am very impressed on how fast it is. But there is a problem I get, it gets stuck on building dependencies at startup, so I have to "upgrade" it using the installation disc and it works. I like the Galaxy Desktop with KDE 3.1. Version 9.1 is quite different from 9.0.Does any of you Mandrake users know how to install rpms properly? And I mean manually. To me, that is the confusing part of Linux.I dual boot with Windows XP. There is an annoyance, Linux changes the time everytime I boot, even though I have selected the time zone and stuff.. Any idea why?Thanks, AJ ;)

Adding to what I typed earlier today..My problem is that on startup Mandrake 9.1 gets stuck on finding module dependencies.Does anybody know what the problem is?Thanks,AJ

Ajb:Did you have "pnp aware os" disabled in your bios when installing MDK 9.1 ?Did you do a clean install or an upgrade ? ( Clean is recommended )Modules dependencies: check your /etc/modules.confYou should have set the clock to "hardware clock" at install ( and also the timezone ) you can change this in the MCCRPM's:rpm -ihv name_of_package.rpm Install the rpm packgerpm -Uhv name_of_package.rpm Upgrade the rpm packagerpm -e name_of_package Delete/uninstall rpm packagerpm -l name_of_package List files in packagerpm -ql name_of_package List files and state the installed version of packagerpm -i --force name_of _package Reinstall dammaged packageGood luck, hope this helps you,Bruno

hello I have tried Mdk 8.x and into the 9x series , Also RH 8. the best install and one that seems to work best with my nVidia graphics card and monitor is Suse 8. Mdk 9.i has given me problems on my laptop, so far I can use either the laptop pad OR the USB but not both . I and found it a little troublesum to in stall Not sure how it will work on the desk top. Going to give RH 9 and try when it is available for DL. or just might stay with Suse , but do wish it had Xine , compiling is not a fun thing when you are still in the learning curve.charlie

Guest ComputerBob

My MDK 9.1 and Knoppix CDs arrived this afternoon. I've already done a clean install of MDK 9.1 on my newer PC, and so far, my first impressions are good. I'll be writing an article about it for my Web site in the next few days, but a few things I noticed right away were that it found my USB wheel mouse and USB scanner, which MDK 9.0 had failed to do.

Guest LilBambi
My MDK 9.1 and Knoppix CDs arrived this afternoon. I've already done a clean install of MDK 9.1 on my newer PC, and so far, my first impressions are good. I'll be writing an article about it for my Web site in the next few days, but a few things I noticed right away were that it found my USB wheel mouse and USB scanner, which MDK 9.0 had failed to do.
ComputerBob --That's great! That's much better than my last install of Mandrake 8 :blink:

Bruno,I did a clean install but I will try unchecking PnP aware OS on BIOS and see what happens. Thanks a lot for the RPM instructions.AJ

Bruno,I did a clean install but I will try unchecking PnP aware OS on BIOS and see what happens. Thanks a lot for the RPM instructions.AJ

unclerichard

Folks: I've spent the weekend trying to get Mandrake 9.1 up and running with not much success. There appears to be a fault/bug that will not allow the initial kernel to load.First time around it trashed my HD (it's my second, experimental box) and I had to start all over again. Evenutally I got Mandrake 9 loaded by using the bootdisk. Having got Mandrake 9 running I decided to do an upgrade instead of a clean install.This too failed, but by using, but by using the Mandrake 9 bootdisk managed to get get the first Mandrake 9.1 disc loaded but not the second or third.I too got the dependencies problem which I think is related to the install problem.Someone wanted it to recognize thier USB connections. To do this use the EXPERT install as this detcts USB devices first.I am sure Mandrake 9.1 is a worthy Linux OS however, this first release appears to haev serious flaws or bugs in it.For the technically mided (which I am not) the error message I recieved at boot was: "second install failed /usr/bin/install2 cannot recover from this error".Sorry about the length of this post.Cheersunclerichard