Windows 10 Weirdness (I Think!)

raymac46

I have this Lenovo Flex 2 15D laptop that used to run Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to Windows 10. Today when I booted it the cooling fan started running at full speed and wouldn't throttle down.

I thought for a second that the fan might be clogged but I was getting good airflow and cool air was coming out of the fan grates. Restarting didn't solve the problem. Nothing obvious was going on in Task Manager and the CPU wasn't hot or overworked.

I did some Googling and found it was possible that a Win 10 update could bork the BIOS fan control. So I downloaded and flashed the latest Lenovo BIOS upgrade. When I rebooted - blissful quiet.

Honestly I don't know how non-technical people survive with computers these days.

• Like 1

Honestly I don't know how non-technical people survive with computers these days.

I do agree with that statement. But really, an update that borks the BIOS fan control? That just shouldn't happen. Edited by ebrke

Really not sure if it did in my case. But how else to explain how one day everything was fine and without installing anything else, suddenly the fan is going full blast and the way to fix it is to flash an updated BIOS?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/372695-laptops-fan-running-full-speed-since-windows-10-update.html

Lots of possible causes here but upgrading the BIOS did fix my problem.

Lenovo is offering a new ACPI driver for Windows 10 so I've installed that as well - just to be on the safe side.

Guest LilBambi

Ah, yes ... Windows Updates and driver issues... long history and so glad it worked for you!

It is always something isn't it? I was trying to update a Windows 10 computer (previously upgraded from Windows 8.1) computer that wouldn't install install the November 2015 build update.

This update was eating their limited (10GB data package on VZW - at about 4GB per month for several months unsuccessfully installing it.

Did the Microsoft Fix It and Cleanup Tool to no avail. Will have to try #2 item here, or download the ISO image and use Media Creation Tool noted in the article here, otherwise, will have to maybe do an 'ungrade' to it, or do a clean reinstall to keep them from having to deal with this data issue again and again ad nauseum...

I assume the Reserved Partition is large enough (350 MB.) I ran into this problem with an update from Windows 7 but Windows 8 and later should have enough room for updates.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

If you are referring to my posting, thank you for your thoughts on this frustrating issue. It was Windows 8 originally so should be large enough...?