Burn as list and not alphabetical

Eagle

Hi all,

Is there a way to burn songs to cd/dvd in a perfered list instead of alphabetical or copy/paste to a thumb drive as a perfered list instead of alphabetical? Everytime i burn a list it ends up alphabetical and when i copy/paste to a thumb drive it ends up alphabetical.

Running Mint 17.3 and using K3B as a burner.

Thanks,

Eagle

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Nope.

However, there is a work-around.

Computers use alpha-numeric cataloging by default. That means files that start with "a" come before files that start with "w". It also means that files that start with "001-w" come before files that start with "022-a". So, what you need to do is rename your mp3s with a numerical prefix to get them sorted as YOU want them to be sorted.

Example:

Normal

• beatles_i-wanna-hold-your-hand
  • cream_white-room
  • derek&dominoes_layla
  • hollies_long-cool-woman
  • mountain_mississippi-queen

Renamed

• 01hollies_long-cool-woman
  • 02derek&dominoes_layla
  • 03mountain_mississippi-queen
  • 04cream_white-room
  • 05beatles_i-wanna-hold-your-hand

By renaming using the numerical prefix, the system will assort in the order YOU determine by your choice of number.

Have fun!

NOTE: This method will work on any files, folders, documents, etc. anywhere on any computer.

• Like 5

V.T. Eric Layton

You're very welcome, my friend. Hope you get it all organized and backed up the way you want. :)

Oh, and the reason I knew that trick was because years and years ago, I hated the way IE (in MS Windows) would alphabetize my favorites. I started naming them with the numerical prefix to override IE's annoying default. Too bad I couldn't override all the other IE issues. Oh, wait... I did. I converted to Linux. :w00t:

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

VTEL's solution works with any data disk you are burning. If making an audio CD, I'm pretty sure you can reorder them in K3b before burning.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, that's correct. When burning an audio disk most of the burner software I've used allows you to assign tracks as you wish.

• Like 1

Hi sunrat,

VTEL's solution works with any data disk you are burning. If making an audio CD, I'm pretty sure you can reorder them in K3b before burning.

I didnt try that on the first t drive but will later this week when i have the time. ill get back to you on this. Thanks.

Hi V.T Eric layton,

Yes, that's correct. When burning an audio disk most of the burner software I've used allows you to assign tracks as you wish.

Ill check on K3B and see........unless you have assigned tracks using K3B?

Eagle

A little bit of trivia.... If you had Layla copied to one eight-track tape and the remaining four songs on the list copied to another eight-track tape and then you started playing both tapes in separate players at the same time, Layla would still be playing hours after tape two stopped. :lol:

V.T. Eric Layton

8-Track tape players never stopped. They looped till you take the tape out.

Er... wait. You're making a funny here, aren't you? :hmm:

• Like 1

Thanks to all.

Hi V.T. Eric Layton,

Yes. I've made a few audio compilations in K3b and ordered the tracks as I wanted.

I tried it and it worked for me.

Thanks;-)

wa4chg,

No eight track here;-DD

Eagle

• Like 2